No announcement yet.

James Bond 25: No Time to Die

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My personal conspiracy theory: with the support Elba has, they're realising at some point they're going to have to switch Bond up even if it's not with Elba. But afraid of a backlash from racists or whoever, they kill current Bond off so they can justify it with "it's not the same Bond". Because it hasn't really ever felt like the same Bond and this would just make it abundantly clear so they can clean the slate for whatever comes next.

Comment

That wouldn't surprise me but god help them if they do, the fanbase will implode.

The trouble is, in film form there isn't a ton to the Bond character but what there is there is treated as core the character. Start to mess around with that too much and fans will lose interest. The idea that's always been banded around of James Bond being a code name never held much up to scrutiny and whilst that could be put in place you quickly get to a point where you're back at 'Bond' in name only.

The thing with these is, for all the noise surrounding them they've built the films up to a commercial peak they've never seen before so they've no reason at all to look to rock the boat.

I think it's got more to do with how the media speculates about Bond replacements without coming up for air, they spent years talking about Brosnan's replacement long before he went and weren't that hot at guessing it and they've been the same about Craig speculating even when he's publically signed as though EON does nothing but mull recasting all the time. I'm sure they've pondered their options, especially after Craig's unprofessional Spectre PR tour, but personally I'd wager that nothings seriously planned at this point (they'll probably be glad just to get this one off the ground at this rate), there won't be any serious consideration for changing the ethnicity of Bond (or that it will ever happen) and that Idris has never been in contention for the role.

I expect it to ultimately go to someone who's more TV leaning in credentials, someone who fits the bill but is more easily pinned to a multi-film contract on a lower film. That or they'll reapproach Cavill.

Comment

I haven't seen him in Mission Impossible which could completely change this but I have a feeling Cavill's time is over.

Comment

If he could find a balance between his UNCLE and MI6 performances he'd probably suit it and was close to the role before Craig stumped him. He's also got time on his hands as he's the right age to play it for a long while but I don't know how well EON would want to dance around his DC commitments and money

Comment

On his Mission Impossible performance I think Cavill lacks the charisma for Bond. He's too wooden.

Of the names bandied around to replace Craig my favourite is Jamie Bell.

Comment

I thought Cavill was great in Man from Uncle ; haven't seen the new MI yet but I reckon he's got the chops.

Idris could be an excellent Bond.

Comment

I've never understood the Elba thing and not for the obvious matter they'd draw attention for. He's a likeable guy but has never been able to carry a major release not matter how much his name is banded about for stuff, also I've never once seen him in something where he's been remotely like Bond. People seem to cite Luther but he's massively unBond in that.

If they were to take the bull by the horns and face down the attention such a recasting would draw he's still not someone I'd pick for it. Another agent, a 006 style turncoat, a villain etc, sure he could shine, but it'd be a hell of a turn to sell him as Bond to me.

I can see the Cavill issues too, I think the persistence with him is that he's open to it and they came close to casting him before but I can see the hold back on him even if Fallout was a stepup from his work in Superman.

I still imagine it being someone not currently a widely used name. Given the success of the recent films, probably someone not too distant from Daniel Craig's mould either.

Comment

Whoever they get to replace Craig will please some and anger others.

There's been so many names thrown about that it's tiring even trying to guess.

Comment

“Been”? A clue? You think it will be Sean Bean?

Personally I think Elba has great presence. Cavill is a good looking guy but his performances seems kind of dead to me. I don’t engage with him. They aren’t anywhere near the same league for me.

Comment

Comment

I was going to say Sean Pertwee could be a good Bond but, when I looked him up, it seems time happened and now he is 54 and looks it.

Comment

He'd make an amazing Third Doctor though

Comment

Yes, he would!

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                              Cavill is a good looking guy but his performances seems kind of dead to me. I don’t engage with him. They aren’t anywhere near the same league for me.
                              You mean Superman Cavill? Ugh, the only thing that qualifies him is that he's a tall bloke with short brown hair.

It'll be sad if he gets it instead of Elba. I think he'd be far more entertaining.

Comment

Yup, I think the rumour on him persists because the franchise producers have a tendency to set their sights on an actor and then repeatedly revisit them when the casting option comes up. They (understandably) revisited Connery and got him back for one film, Moore was reportedly in contention as far back as Dr No but was rarely available so nothing happened until Live and Let Die, Dalton was pursued for 18 years before signing on and Brosnan since Roger Moore hanged up his cardigan in the 80's. I think Lazenby and Craig were the only typical casting approaches.

Comment

Working...
                                X