Call of Duty: Black Ops 3 review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Call of Duty: Black Ops 3 review

Only managed to get a match in as I went for the PS4 digital deluxe version. There's been a load of hassle with the launch of it but it's slowly made itself available. The map was the same one from the beta with the truck in the middle courtyard of the map, small layout and plenty reliance on wall running.

It was pretty much exactly as the beta presented it to be, the game looks nice enough. Doesn't wow just as no CoD entry ever does but there's definitely enough minor level detail to establish the transition away from the visuals on the last consoles. Controls seem solid too.

Really interested to check out the wealth of available content Treyarch have put in, it has a sense of polish AW didn't quite meet. The only other thing I had time to sneak in was a go of the Alpha Freerun level. A slow and steady time of 2:30m was enough to suggest there's plenty scope for them to add more via DLC and also for players to shave times down but it's not quite Mirror's Edge level freerunning. Nice to have included though.
    1 - A John Doe
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    5 - Future Imperfect
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    10 - In Treyarch We Trust
    0%

After waiting ages for the single player to install I played the first three missions last night and was bored out of my skull.

The main problem I'm having is that it just doesn't feel exciting. It's just bland and by the numbers. The battling hoards of robots is dull too as it lacks the visceral element when you're fighting human for.

It looks okay, I personally think AW looked a little better, and the controls are typical CoD.

The weapons don't seem to have any heft. They feel weak and lacklustre when you fire them. The sound effects seem dialled back and muted. Explosions seem weedy as well.

I wasn't expecting GOTY but thought it would be better than this.

Comment

Oh dear this is one of the worst COD games I've played . Just done the 1st level and I agree with teddy was just bored out of my skull . Will try and give it a few more tries ... but its a game by the numbers and just do dull and boring .

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
        Oh dear this is one of the worst COD games I've played . Just done the 1st level and I agree with teddy was just bored out of my skull . Will try and give it a few more tries ... but its a game by the numbers and just do dull and boring .
        Did another level (set during a storm) and it just felt mechanically underwhelming. Having to hold square to anchor yourself when there's a strong gust of wind or a Big wave was rubbish. In fact, I didn't anchor during a big wave and nothing happened. Rubbish. The whole game has this lightweight feel.

Jumped into Zombies and although the 1940s setting is cool it doesn't look very solid and again there's little impact when you shoot anything. Some headshots give you that satisfying "pop" but others do nothing.

I played a couple of online games and they were terrible. I've got 80Mb fibre and my NAT is open but it was jumping about all over the shop.

I'm off into town in a bit and CEX are giving ?40 trade / ?36 cash so either way I've profited from this pile of drivel.

Comment

I've only been playing MP so far but to be honest i've had no issues with it at all as yet, easily better than at least the last two entries and the wall running and boost jumping is very restrained compared to AW. Time will tell if it holds up but so far it's pretty decent.

Comment

Played 50 games online and a the lag is there, but less than it used to be, just annoying when it is. I played a game a FFA and one guy was at KD 7.1 and every time i shot him i emptied a clip, two bullets from him and I was dead. Nonetheless there is fun to be had. What is evident in the last few iterations of COD is that with starter weapons you will get hammered. Some of the upgrades make a huge difference to your performance. Back in days of MW1 this was not the case.

Anyway, I will plat the SP and Zombies during the week.

Oh, and like all COD's, headphones are a must or you are at a disadvantage.

Comment

Looks like the PC version has been borked... down to 12fps on a GTX980ti

Comment

No way does this deserve a metacritic average of 85 - some of the sections on Xbox One drop to what looks like 15 fps or less - can't believe I'm playing the same game as some of these 10/10 reviews suggest.

Comment

Anyone thinking they will get value for money from a COD game from single player mode alone, is always going to be disapointed....

Comment

Originally posted by dvdx2 View Post
                    Anyone thinking they will get value for money from a COD game from single player mode alone, is always going to be disapointed....
                    I enjoyed AW, BLOPS 1 & 2 SP modes personally. This one just feels half baked.

Comment

Originally posted by teddymeow View Post
                      I enjoyed AW, BLOPS 1 & 2 SP modes personally. This one just feels half baked.
                      Fair enough, but the single player games are hardly worth the full price at launch.

Comment

Picked this up yesterday. I've only played the first few levels but I love it. I do consider COD a bit of a guilty pleasure of mine - pure action movie with silly plot and outrageous set pieces - and I'm happy to be carried along on the ride.

Comment

I'm enjoying the single player and MP but my god does the Local Co-Op have issues.

It has to be connected online to work, 1 person can lose connection?! (It's local), Crashing (will come back after exit to dash) and it looks horrible. Feels shoehorned in that's for sure, they should have done a halo and cut it.

Comment

So just clocked up 1000 kills and moving up the levels (26 now). Less lag than initially there, it does happen but normally against specific players, so overall it is acceptable. Onto the MP game; boy is it fast, way faster than Ghosts and similar to AW. What is strange the more progress you make the unlockables become more and more like Destiny and Halo which is a bit daft given that most weapons are machine guns. Fancy exo suits, robotic voices when you are killed, invisible modes etc etc all don't seem to fit? My guess its be LVL 50 my armour WILL belong in Destiny and / or Halo and not COD.

Anyhow, getting used to the speed ( am 57 years young) and winning more games on FFA. Overall both this and AW prove that in reality some of the gameplay elements don't belong here. The jumping and huge slides and the overall speed. They are fine Halo and Destiny because they are a different type of game. It's an old request, but I reckon if Infinity Ward released an HD makeover of MW1, it well sell its droves.

One last thing, Treyarch are crap with the sound. They always have been. Go an and play Ghosts with headphones on and you can hear players jump, run etc from distance. In BO3, they run right up behind you and it you almost never hear them which is crap as well.

So onwards I go until I reach the Prestige Level. Cos you know me guys, I play on regardless!

UPDATE:
                            Just played two games where one player has THREE clones of himself, I killed two of the clones and got killed by the "real" player. They all glow in yellow gold colour. Now, back to my earlier comments about this type not being needed in COD; CLONES, WHAT THE FLIP! Really, this game IS trying to be Destiny.
                            Last edited by jim g; 08-11-2015, 13:28.

Comment

if anyone else is buying Black Ops 3 for the single player first and foremost i recommend to stay away from it. after Advanced Warfare i thought it couldn't get any worse -- but i was so wrong. the campaign here is so painful to sit through that i couldn't even bring myself to finish it. it's so full of clichees and recycled elements from older games that it's not only boring but also insulting. on top of that it has comparatively poor gunplay and probably worse AI than the very first game in the franchise.

Comment

Working...
                              X