Fallout 4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fallout 4

about 10 hours into the Xbox One version and so far it's a bit underwhelming in terms of gameplay and story. certainly not bad but not great either. after Fallout 3 (including DLCs) and a good portion of Vegas i am not quite sure what i expected but so far this feels more like a Fallout 3.x to me. graphics aren't that great too. i think being an open world game is not excuse anylonger for featuring low res textures and stiff animations. i recommend to get this on PC - it's much cheaper and hopefully should feature the better visuals.

on the positive side the gunplay and physics feels solid and there are some new world building elements for the one who prefer to build worlds rather than destroyimg them. encountered a few smaller bugs but nothing gamebreaking.

All the reviews are around the 9 mark and yet all mention that there are really bad technical issues, very dated graphics, game crashes, lip sync is a joke etc. etc. Notwithstanding the potential pull of the vastness of the game, I can't hep wondering if this was not Fallout, would the reviewers be so forgiving of these issues?

Comment

I think i'm going to hold off until the full extent of technical issues present themselves. Its 1080p on both consoles which means it not exactly pushing the boudaries as it is, and if this is down to a weak engine, then its really disappointing.

I have MGSV to yet finish, along with until dawn, drake collection, disgea etc yet to play...so no rush.

Comment

well you can't trust most of the big review sites - just look at the Halo 5 and CoD BO3 reviews. both games have average reviews around 85% despite being deeply flawed and, at least for me, ranking among the worst entries in their franchises.

Fallout 4 clearly looks dated, even for an open world game with decent AI and physics. but the biggest isssue for me is that it doesn't feel much different from Fallout 3 and the main story quest feels a bit boring and forseeable. there are some nice little gameplay additions like world building, the enhanced weapon and armor upgrade system and the first person gunplay but that doesn't do much to make the game feel like a next-gen installment.

Comment

Downloading the PC version now, curious to see how it holds up as in theory I don't get the complaints the game has had about its visuals as in trailers and screens it's the best looking Bethesda RPG yet and a massive jump was never on the cards as they never deliver that (or at least haven't in a long time). More concerned by any concerns it's too much of a repeat of the previous two.

Comment

seeing a couple of videos/streams of this in the wild now, making me think about not picking it up tomorrow on the ps4, not only does it look last gen,it also preforms like ****, poor show.

Comment

I am ok if it's similar to Fallout 3 as I adore that game. But agree that bad technical issues are unforgivable, regardless of how ambitious a game is... If it's not ready to ship, then it shouldn't be out, simple as... Reliance on patching later seems to be the given standard these days, which is not something developers should be relying on or aiming for...

Comment

If I'm right in thinking, this is a last gen game isn't it? As in they developed much of it with PS3/360 in mind but development took so long it crossed over to current gen? I think I heard that somewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
                  Downloading the PC version now, curious to see how it holds up as in theory I don't get the complaints the game has had about its visuals as in trailers and screens it's the best looking Bethesda RPG yet and a massive jump was never on the cards as they never deliver that (or at least haven't in a long time). More concerned by any concerns it's too much of a repeat of the previous two.
                  If it isn't a massive jump then the minimum they could deliver is less bugs, it was forgivable way back when oblivion was released...but then that game really pushed the technical limits at the time.
                  Last edited by PaTaito; 09-11-2015, 22:13.

Comment

I haven't been this excited about a game since GTA5 launch two years ago.

Been reading quite a lot of reviews and tried to skim through some comparison videos just to see how it looks across the board and quite shocked at some of the detail loss on consoles especially with foreground foliage.

Gamesradar articles here highlighting this: http://www.gamesradar.com/fallout-4-...-ps4-xbox-one/

I don't even have a console this generation but anyone with a half decent PC would be advised to get it on that over consoles for sure going by what I've read today.

Other than that, it seems it is just more of the same as Uli says and although that is a cop out, I am completely happy with that. I just want an updated newer version of Fallout 3 and that's what it seems to provide. Next time around though for both Elder Scrolls and Fallout I think Bethseda have to really up their game with a brand new engine and some changes to keep things fresh.

Just counting down the minutes til midnight now until I can launch it and get some real opinions of my own though.

Comment

I am seeing a lot more negativity with a lot of reviews more so then previous games but i really hope the sites are not doing it for effect.

For me as long as i get a slightly better looking game with improved combat and lots to do i will be happy enough

Comment

Originally posted by eastyy View Post
                        I am seeing a lot more negativity with a lot of reviews more so then previous games but i really hope the sites are not doing it for effect.

For me as long as i get a slightly better looking game with improved combat and lots to do i will be happy enough
                        That's kind of what I'm after too. I'm not expecting it to usher in a new era for RPG games but it will be nice if there are improvements over the systems in previous efforts.

It seems like a lot of sites are slating it for being the same old Bethesda game with bad animation, lip syncing, bugs, poorly optimised, not amazing visuals yet still getting 9/10's pretty much across the board. If it was any other game it would probably get 7/10's but for Fallout/Elder Scrolls this just seems to work. They are so good are world building that it makes up for where their games lack elsewhere.

Comment

I've just booted it up and have been playing it for a couple of hours, the graphics are better than I expected, a big step up from the last game which was was very basic by comparison to other games. This is the same in that regard.

It's started off much like you'd expect from a fallout game, bleak and perhaps a little slow compared to other games. I'm looking forward to that point when you know the world and characters and feel absorbed.

Comment

Played for a few hours too now and agree with what you've said mate. It is visually better than I expected but still very much nowhere near on par with other big titles this year. Lots of flat textures and low poly models everywhere but I can see past it as it's still a beautiful environment and I think it's just going to get better and better when I venture further afield.

The first hour is pretty boring and not a good way to start a game. If I was someone on the fence and never played a Bethesda game before it's not a very good opening to win new fans over.

Hasn't lowered my enjoyment whatsoever though, I am loving it. Can't wait to get home from work tomorrow to sink hours into it then I have Wednesday off to do the same.

Comment

The "Bethesda really need to up their game and get a new engine" has been brought out since oblivion, maybe even before that. I find it hilarious that their response is always "no we don't " and everyone buys it and loves it anyway! Have fun chaps I'm still trying to finish New Vegas!

Comment

Working...
                              X