This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by randombs View Post
    It’s because iPhones take the photo upside down and save the rotation angle in the file instead of actually rotating it. Every time I open an iPhone photo in windows, it would be upside-down. I know that sounds weird if your phone was the right way up when you took the photo but that’s how it is. Macs rotate the photos correctly, as do programs like Photoshop.
    Yeah, pretty much. When you take a photo with a mobile device (and actually it applies to digital devices in general), there is some exterior information about the image that is saved, such as the device you used, GPS location, the resolution, the timestamp, the orientation of the device, and so forth. EXIF, as the article you quoted mentions: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exif .

It's not just eBay btw, it's web browsers in general, so this includes Edge, Firefox, Chrome and more, just don't seem to read the EXIF and obey relevant settings, such as the photo rotation, when displaying images taken by mobile devices. Mac OSX and Photoshop DO read the EXIF when loading image files. Not that long before I was made redundant from my last job, we were working on reading EXIF so that images displayed by our app were also in the correct orientation, so I had a fun time frigging around with the settings and test images to make sure it was doing the right thing in all circumstances!
    Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

Interesting. So if the camera was the right orientation to begin with, there'd be no problem.

I assume the orientation is because of space constraints inside the devices themselves?

Comment

Probably to.do.with cable orientation needed, like how some android devices have their usb port upside down e.g. nexus 5

Comment

For phones, the hardware button(s) at the bottom, or the USB port at the bottom, is considered "upright". Any of the other three is "rotated". Web browsers essentially treat all images as if they were taken in the first situation.
          Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

I have a constant urge to buy retro gaming stuff. This irks me. At the moment I'm not giving in to it though.

Comment

Haven’t watched Mock The Week for years.

Wow. Terrible. Horribly unfunny younger ‘comics’ with zero charisma and a rather spiteful repertoire. They’re like comedians created by a committee.

Comment

Originally posted by Colin View Post
                I have a constant urge to buy retro gaming stuff. This irks me. At the moment I'm not giving in to it though.
                Probably cheaper to get a new car Colin 😉

Comment

I’ve promised my wife no more cars for a while, that’s probably just as hard as resisting the retro stuff!

Comment

Bull****ters.

I'm sat in a Starbucks and there's a group of blokes sat a rossthe way from me talking about phones.

"What version of Android is it running mate?"
                    "Dunno".
                    "It's probably Snapdragon (?!) that's the newest one".
                    "Is it?"
                    "Yeah, Bruv, it's really good. Helps the camera run smooth and take better pictures!"

FML!!!

Comment

Originally posted by prinnysquad View Post
                      Haven’t watched Mock The Week for years.

Wow. Terrible. Horribly unfunny younger ‘comics’ with zero charisma and a rather spiteful repertoire. They’re like comedians created by a committee.
                      I'd like to add all Radio 4 comedy to that irk.

Comment

Originally posted by Golgo View Post
                        I'd like to add all Radio 4 comedy to that irk.
                        Woah, woah, woah. I won't have a bad word said about The Unbelievable Truth!

Comment

Originally posted by teddymeow View Post
                          Woah, woah, woah. I won't have a bad word said about The Unbelievable Truth!
                          What about the word 'Cox'?

Comment

Teddy: ‘Actually, I love Cox.’

Greatest conversation ever.

Comment

Originally posted by Colin View Post
                              Is it Harmful Park?

Comment

Well not now I've finally got it running on the Pi! That little box is going to save me from so much temptation!

Comment

Working...
                                X