Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BBC Master System sounds like what my mum would call a SNES.

Comment

I had a BBC Master B (and an Acorn Electron before it!); used to love the thing. Superior Software were the daddies.

Comment

3 more shifts left at the hotel.

Comment

Monsters and twin kingdom valley on the beeb; part of my youth!

Comment

Starting to get pissed off with iOS.

I cleared a load of space on my phone to get to play some larger games. I have an iPhone 5s, a 16gb one, which means space has always been a problem, but in any case, I made more than enough space by using Google Drive to back up my photos, then I tried installing a large game recommended by a friend (called Knights Chronicle).

Like many iOS games, the game downloads a smaller client (~200mb) and then, when in-game, downloads the rest of the data (~750mb). After the install, I had about 1.7gb free.

On a related note, I have been putting off upgrading to iOS11. I'm always cautious about iOS upgrades with my phone, because I still remember how an upgrade (I think it was iOS6) crippled my iPhone 4, making everything slower.

Now anyone who has an iOS device that they're "holding back" from an upgrade will know that when you do this, every day when you connect to wifi, if there's enough space, the device will try to download the update (~1.2gb). You then have to manually delete it. There's no way to prevent this. The device also reminds you frequently about it. Again, there is no way to prevent this.

Then I discovered a new "feature" in iOS10 that I wasn't aware of - the device will "purge" what it believes to be unnecessary data in order to make room for the update. I found this out when every day, I would load up Knights Chronicle and it would complain that it needed to download the 750mb install again.

So in the end, I decided to just install iOS11 and risk it. The phone, afterwards, is worse. The unlock screen takes longer, the KEYBOARD takes longer to appear FFS, and I've had weird functionality problems where the screen half-unlocks or other stuff like that. Even the mail app is worse, with a massive "INBOX" title at the top of the screen taking up about 20% of the screen height... Obviously that won't be a problem on the bigger, newer devices with bigger screens. Sure that's not intentional Apple, but whatever...

So I update Knights Chronicle, and the next day... It asks for the data to be installed again.

I discover, after a quick search, that iOS11 now purges data just to keep free space on the fricking phone. Apparenly it'll do this up to 20% of free space, or 3.2gb, and you want to know the best part? The iOS reserves 6.14gb for the operating system.

In iOS11, my 16gb device has ~7gb of usable space.

Yeah, I'm sure that's progress too, Apple. I'm certain that's not to try and get me to buy ANOTHER ****ING PHONE WHEN THIS ONE WORKS PERFECTLY WELL.

Comment

Women that ruin you then dump you because you've changed (Yes I'm having a break from the relationship thread)

Comment

Phone ringing on lunch break

No 4K dashboard on Xbox One X

You have to pay another £5 for Sky Go "Extra" to use on Xbox/PS4

Football shirt prices

Happy meal boxes

Lane 2 at McDonalds drive thru

Mobile phone batteries when your contract has just ran out

eBay in favor of the buyer over the seller

Traffic lights

Aaagh I feel better now, and that's just today!

Comment

Being unappreciated at work. 50 hour weeks with no recognition.

Having to constantly vacuum as the cats are shedding and Nancy is a messy eater.

House is a messy and I seem to be the only one who tries to tidy up.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                    Starting to get pissed off with iOS...
                    I discover, after a quick search, that iOS11 now purges data just to keep free space on the fricking phone...The iOS reserves 6.14gb for the operating system.

In iOS11, my 16gb device has ~7gb of usable space.

Yeah, I'm sure that's progress too, Apple. I'm certain that's not to try and get me to buy ANOTHER ****ING PHONE WHEN THIS ONE WORKS PERFECTLY WELL.
                    Dude, you’re in the minority. I’ve been struggling with a 32GB iPhone 5s and only just upgraded to a 64GB 6s last week.

The purge you’re experiencing with Knight Chronicle is probably because its downloaded data is seen as temporary files. That might be intentional on the developer’s part or perhaps all such in-app downloads are considered temporary by iOS(program data is separated into documents and temporary stuff).

I agree that iOS 11 running on it is awful. I reluctantly updated from iOS 10(had enough of jailbreaking) to avoid the update harassment. The constant updating messages and sneaky pin entry scheduled updates can gtfo, especially considering how old the phone is. Also, update harassment feels like the nearest thing to planned obsolescence without literally making something obsolete. Previously, you could choose to keep your old OS and the compromises that would bring, but these days you get pestered to update.

But yeah, 16GB and a small screen isn’t feasible in 2018. Don’t forget, the iPhone 5s is five years old.

Comment

Originally posted by teddymeow View Post
                      Being unappreciated at work. 50 hour weeks with no recognition.

Having to constantly vacuum as the cats are shedding and Nancy is a messy eater.

I still love you bro.

Comment

Xbox Live down right now, not even letting me sign in, error code n schidt.

Fug OFF.

Comment

Originally posted by teddymeow View Post

I do all the cleaning/tidying up/rubbish and recycling/random DIY.

She does the cooking/dishes and cleans the kitchen/toilet/bathroom areas.

We generally share clothes washing and dishes(dishwasher ftw).

I just recently noticed that my wife and I have naturally settled into these particular roles. I don't know your situation at home and whether you two have defined roles but I think it helps immensely. I used to try and help with everything but it just made me resent her for not doing the same when I was cleaning/etc. But I no longer feel guilty playing PlayStation while she's cooking or whatever because I did the vacuuming and threw out all those Amazon boxes.

Comment

If you stopped buying stuff you wouldn't have those boxes to throw out...

I started packing for our move today. I've already filled all the boxes I have with blurays. Oops.

Comment

Originally posted by randombs View Post
                              But yeah, 16GB and a small screen isn’t feasible in 2018. Don’t forget, the iPhone 5s is five years old.
                              The small screen is one of the reasons I haven't updated. I tend to keep my phone in one of these:

... and I hated how Apple's newer phones are both fragile and too large. I see people with an iPhone 10 and to me, that's a tablet, not a phone!

Plus I tend to buy phones second-hand, so that affects things somewhat.

Comment

Certain pronunciation grates.

I was listening to Five Live this morning. A woman was on talking about her book.

Now, being a Northern monkey, I pronounce it ‘book’, as in ‘moon’. With the ‘oo’ sound.
                                Those of the more Southern persuasion pronounce it ‘buck’. Fair enough. Like the ‘oo’ sound in ‘look’.

This woman pronounced it ‘berk’. What the hell are you doing, man? Berk ffs.

Comment

Working...
                                X