X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
    TL: DR
    Typing "System" gets System Information.
    Typing "System Information" gets System.

I've moaned about how counter-intuitive Windows 10 is before, but it's just annoyingly contradictory.
    I want to disable web searching from the start bar. It's USELESS.

Why do I want to search the web for something I KNOW is on my machine?!?

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post

Why do I want to search the web for something I KNOW is on my machine?!?
      And the other way around, too!
      Type "Excel" and it looks like it's installed. It's not and it's sitting there in the start menu ready to confuse people.

Comment

Doesn't Windows 10 collect loads of user data on default settings too? Social media has made people not care about the increasing amounts of private data these huge firms are amassing.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
          Oh, you're typing Control Panel? Instead of the page you've always used for decades, have this flim-flam "user-friendly" page that doesn't do what you want.
          Unfortunately over time all the 'legacy' menus will be phased out, which I wouldn't necessarily mind except for the fact that what replaces them currently isn't much good. Having said that (and you're probably already aware of this) you can press Windows Key+R for a run prompt, then type 'control' without quotes for easier access to the old control panel layout.

Comment

I just can't stand using a PC any more, dont get me started finding photos.

Comment

Originally posted by Hohum View Post
              Unfortunately over time all the 'legacy' menus will be phased out, which I wouldn't necessarily mind except for the fact that what replaces them currently isn't much good. Having said that (and you're probably already aware of this) you can press Windows Key+R for a run prompt, then type 'control' without quotes for easier access to the old control panel layout.
              Yeah; I mean the display settings doesn't have a screensaver option. You have to go to the legacy menu.

It's because they're not touch-friendly, so I don't mind MS replacing them with newer ones - but they need to have feature parity first!!

Comment

Unless you want to play games on it I'd seriously consider a Linux OS. Windows is utterly awful with its forced updates and adverts INSIDE THE OPERATING SYSTEM!

Comment

Originally posted by Blobcat View Post
                  I just can't stand using a PC any more, dont get me started finding photos.
                  I'm amazed it's 2018 and we can't find photos by describing what's in them.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                    I managed this, but can't remember how.

What winds me up the most are permissions for software. It keeps asking me if I'm sure I want to run stuff. Windows7 was a one and gone. Windows 10 simply refuses to remember your preferences. It seems to be that way by design as well.

Comment

Focus assist! That's another one!

I see a notification, wondering if it's an update...

"Your notifications will appear here!"

Every. Single. Time!! That's all it ever has for me. Just F off then! I can't even turn it off!

I used to love customising Windows.

Comment

Some standard features of Windows Professional include Xbox, Zune, Bubble Witch 3, Candy Crush and Minecraft.

So they're right there in the start menu with one click, but if I want to access the menu to configure it to work in a business environment, I have to navigate the menus and dodge the Lite versions with identical names.

Plus there's a massive section of opt out choices that aren't really opt outs.
                        "Do you want some or all of your information transmitted to Microsoft?"

I've always been an advocate of Windows and seen Apple as style over substance, but the combination of unprofessional bloatware and anti-consumer practices has turned me against them.

Good job their consoles don't do that...

Oh.

Comment

Movies and TV shows that have someone playing video games which are A: Fake and B: they clearly have never used a controller in their life. I'm mean WTF? Either have them play a real game, or don't bother at all.

Comment

Watching a Cold Case the other night (only English speaking show on Italian TV) and it was centred around an arcade game called Defector III. This made up game was basically a fighter like MK or whatever but one of the detectives described it as an RPG. The rage...

Comment

If I type c and then o within my search bar it suggests Control Panel. Perhaps it has learned to do that? My system account is an "offline" one and I don't have too much installed otherwise though, maybe that's why?

Comment

Windows 10 is an abomination.

In some ways it’s much better than Windows 7(high resolution display support is very good, OneDrive integration is great) but often it’s a complete farce.

My favourite is how it updates. It’ll remind you that Windows 10 is a service, not an OS, so let it update man. Also, as you guys have pointed out, start menu search is all over the shop. I just use Win+R and type control for control panel or sysdm.cpl for domains.

We’ve been installing Windows 10 on every new machine this year and have had no complaints from users but from an admin perspective it can be a nightmare. But on the other hand, it has the ability to join the domain remotely from first boot which will be fantastic for supporting our China/Vienam/Thailand/etc users.

Someone’s laptop breaks down? They simply buy a new one, enter the account info and they can join the domain, log in to OneDrive and Office 365 and get back on track within a few hours at most.

I just have to go with the flow because progress.

Comment

Working...
                                X