Film of the Year 2015

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Film of the Year 2015

With Episode VII dominating the rest of the years cinema screen times voting is now open for your film nominations as to which movie you feel has been the best one released in 2015. Voting will be open for the next two weeks with the closing date for making your votes being:

01 January 2016 at 9.00am

As usual, the categories are:

The Film of the Year 2015
    01 -
    02 -
    03 -

Worst Film of the Year 2015
    01 -
    02 -
    03 -

Three choices can be made per category however there is no particular order to how you list them so you needn't worry about ordering your top three's.

Any notable films you enjoyed that didn't quite make your top 3, thoughts on the choices being made or views of the years releases as a whole? Feel free to share them!

The results of this years voting will be announced shortly after the closing date.

Top 3

The Martian
    Ex Machina
    Still Alice

Comment

01 - Birdman
      02 - Whiplash
      03 - Mad Max Fury Road

Not worst but most disappointing
      - The Martian

Comment

Ex Machina - heheh what a great concept - felt really uncomfortable
        Mission Impossible - Much more grounded than many previous entries. Still impossible, but not daft. Mostly.
        Jurrasic World - apart from the end, this was great. Watched it twice in the cinema.

Worst
        Minions. No adult jokes..... rubbish. Kids seemed to like it but.... fart jokes....

Comment

We touched upon FotY in Supes' thread about films in 2016 we're looking forward to.
          [Hide]
          Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
          It's going to be tough to be beat this year for BIG movies!
          Fast 7 broke the record for the fastest film to make a billion at the box office.
          Then Jurassic World stomped on that record and several others (fastest to $400m, biggest IMAX opening, highest domestic second week gross, biggest seven day gross in domestic history, biggest domestic opening weekend ever, biggest worldwide opening weekend ever).
          Inside Out is the highest grossing original, non-sequel property ever.
          Age of Ultron scored the highest non-weekend opening ever in China.
          Minions is the third highest grossing animated movie of all time (and made Universal the first studio to have three films break $1billion at the box office in one year).
          Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation was not only the biggest 2D opening weekend in China, it's the highest grossing 2D film there ever.
          SPECTRE broke the UK box office records for first day opening and first week total.

All of those are like an impressive starship zipping across the screen until you realise they're being followed by a behemoth juggernaut Imperial Star Destroyer that will obliterate them all...
          [hide][/hide]
          The Force Awakens already has doubled the previous record for advanced ticket sales and I imagine most other box office records will get crushed too. I also predict it'll be the highest grossing film in both 2015 and 2016.
          [/Hide]

It's been a really good year for cinema this year and I find it really hard narrowing down my favourites.
          This year I Watched:
          Whiplash
          Kingsman
          Big Hero 6
          John Wick
          furious 7
          Avengers
          Mad Max
          Kung Fury
          Jurassic World
          It Follows
          Terminator: Genisys
          Ex Machina
          MI:5
          Inside Out
          Ant-Man
          Ted 2
          Chappie
          Minions movie
          The Martian
          Spectre

It's hard saying my favourites as there were some really strong contenders. Ex Machina stuck with me for ages and was really thought-provoking like an extended Twilight Zone/Outer Limits episode. It Follows was fantastic. It was really tense and the music was like a character in its own right. I tried watching it the other night, but I had to give in as it was too stressful! Whiplash was some terrific cinema with some pressure-cooker scenes, but I didn't like the ending when I thought about it.

So...

Film of the Year:
          3. Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation. Should have been trounced by SPECTRE, but Bond's nonsensical plot and damp action sequences were trumped by Cruise and co. each time. That bike chase and opening plane sequence were real thrills. The whole film was a highly entertaining chunk of escapism.

2. Mad Max: Fury Road. What a thrill of a movie! After about 30 minutes, the camera finally stops moving and Furiosa's truck rolls off into the night to give the viewer a rest. I stopped and looked at my mates who were also exhausted! The Raid was the last time I'd felt so drained.

1. John Wick. I waited until this came out at the cinema after several delays and I'm so glad I did. I watched The Equalizer the night before, which was fun, but the reliance on CGI, shakeycam and the camera angle switching before every punch reduced the impact of the action. In contrast, John Wick had long, correctly framed action sequences where you rooted for the hero, but secretly hoped more people would get in his way.

In a year of sequels, spin-offs, remakes, reboots and comic adaptations, it was nice to see a new IP from new directors that knew how to handle cinematic action.

As for worst films, I enjoyed everything that I saw, but...

3. The Minions Movie. S'alright s'pose. Not as funny as it should have been, I guess.

2. Fast 7. It was a little bit too much on the silly side. Like it was written by 10-year-old boys buzzing on Red Bull. I enjoyed it and laughed a lot, but mainly at the film, rather than with it.

1. Chappie. This was a real let down. Loads of strange plot decisions like Jackman's character wielding guns in the office and allowed to run his robot without anyone around, but ultimately I really disliked the Ninja character. He sucked any enjoyment from the film by being really annoying. Also, after watching Deus Ex, I felt they barely touched on what it is to be alive. Short Circuit did it so much better just under 30 years ago. For chuff's sake, even Ted 2 handled the issue of sentience better!
          Last edited by QualityChimp; 16-12-2015, 14:00.

Comment

Best:

1- The Martian - Grounded, thought provoking, intelligent, sweeping, beautiful...a proper return to form for Ridley Scott.
            2- Star Wars: The Force Awakens - Everything i wanted.
            3- Ant-Man - The most fun i've had at the movies this year.

Star wars came in and displaced whiplash i'm sorry to say, as that film is great. Inherent vice, still alice, and mad max were also brilliant.

Worst:

1- Fifty shades of Grey - Forced to watch and absolute garbage.
            2- Pixels - PFFFFT...
            3- Mortdecai - Depp just takes too many of these roles for me, he seems to be an actor who enjoys being typecast. This just wasn't a pleasurable watch at all.
            Last edited by PaTaito; 29-12-2015, 14:58.

Comment

Best:

1 - Antman
              2 - Age of Ultron
              3 - Jurassic World

Worst:

1 - Fantastic Four
              2 - Chappie

Comment

Best:

1 - John wick
                2 - force awakens
                3 - antman

Worst:

1 - Fantastic Four
                2 - Chappie

i could sit and watch John wick all day long - just fantastic
                Last edited by buster_broon; 29-12-2015, 22:57.

Comment

I haven't seen many films this year so my list will be limited by that.

Best:

1 - Mad Max Fury Road
                  2 - Whiplash
                  3 - Star Wars The Force Awakens

Um... that's it. It's possible I may only have seen two other of this year's movies and they probably shouldn't be on the list.
                  Last edited by Dogg Thang; 30-12-2015, 23:10.

Comment

I can safely say... without seeing it... it will be Star Wars
                    Followed by Age of Ultron and Antman

Edit... seen Star Wars now and my list remains the same.. awesome film

Best:

1 - Star Wars: The Force Awakens
                    2 - Age of Ultron
                    3 - Antman

Honourable mentions to:

Kingsman: The secret service
                    Mad Max: Fury Road
                    Jurassic World
                    Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation

Worst:

1 - Fantastic Four
                    2 - Jupiter Ascending
                    Last edited by RobRoy; 28-12-2015, 11:22.

Comment

Anyone voting before seeing The Force Awakens may change their mind... it's definitely very good in my eyes.
                      Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

01 - Mad Max: Fury Road
                        02 - Star Wars
                        03 - The Martian
                        04 - Whiplash
                        05 - John Wick

(A good year, for me - the best in a long while)

Worst Film of the Year 2015
                        01 - Fantastic Four
                        02 - F&F7
                        03 - Jurassic World
                        04 - Avengers 2
                        Last edited by dataDave; 03-01-2016, 04:32.

Comment

Didn't think anything would beat Mad Max for you, [MENTION=1482]dataDave[/MENTION]!

I was worried you'd berate me for not putting it in the top slot!

Comment

I can confidently say prior to seeing Star Wars that the FOTY for me is Big Hero 6

Comment

is Whiplash not a 2014 film?

Comment

Working...
                              X