Bordersdown Film of the Year 2015 - The Winner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bordersdown Film of the Year 2015 - The Winner

The results are in and the the winning line up is ready to be revealed.

First up are the top three worst films of the year as voted by you!

WORST FILM 2015
    Number 3 - Jurassic World
    Despite gaining several votes for the opposite accolade the latest and biggest Jurassic Park entry also gained enough scorn to win it the third place in the Worst Film catagory.

Number 2 - Chappie

Blomkamps latest release also stumbled and fell to scrutiny netting it the second place in a close fought battle of disappointment.

The Worst Film of 2015
    The Fantastic Four
    We called it in advance and it certainly didn't disappoint. Or rather, it did. The reboot of F4 crashed and crumpled its way onto the big screen with few opting to see it and those who did warning others not to get the same idea. It won this years title with ease.

BEST FILM 2015
    Number 3 - The Martian
    It can be difficult for makers of popular sci-fi films to find success in the genre again but Ridley Scott continues to find new success in space with this years well received Matt Damon release.

Number 2 - Mad Max: Fury Road
    Years and years of development hell and filming issues had flags raised on this one but it countered those concerns expertedly to become a favourite to many who watched it. Heavily practically shot in a digital age, it was an old school shot in the years arm.

The Best Film of 2015
    Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens
    It really could have gone disasterously wrong but the franchise managed to win the day with an entry that restored fan faith in the series and set it on course for the coming years slate of SW titled releases. This year, science fiction returned.

What will win next years prize?

Hmm, I'll have to check out Mad Max then if you guys like it

Comment

Max Max was a refreshing film in an industry of staleness. I loved it but not quite enough as "entertainment" to make my top 3.

Comment

I haven't seen The Martian. Must watch it. Loved Mad Max. While Star Wars made my list, very few films have been as fresh as Mad Max for me in years.

Comment

Yeah i quite liked The Martian basically struck me as Gravity meets Castaway

Comment

I called two of the worst three. But none of the top three. Gits.

Comment

I know it's not compiled from thousands of votes and Jurassic World was only in about 3 people's "worst" list, but I find it funny that people disliked that, but Star Wars topped so many people's "best" list.

Both are sequels yet feel like remakes of the original, yet JW is "unoriginal" and SW is an "homage".

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                Both are sequels yet feel like remakes of the original, yet JW is "unoriginal" and SW is an "homage".
                I understand George Lucas agrees with you but I'd probably still love it (still not seen it) even if it was a frame-for-frame remake
                I did liked Chappie even if was was a load of nonsense. More than the Martian which is just another derivative Hollywood release albeit an entertaining one for when you want to switch off.
                I didn't think Mad Max was anything special with the main plus point being that there was no CGI. I prefer not to look 'behind the curtain'.
                I didn't vote but Ex-machina would be top for me.

Comment

QC, that assumes all else is equal and that the level of homage/unoriginality is equal too. I haven't seen JW so can't compare at all but we see that in games all the time. One game might be nigh-on identical to its predecessor and get rave reviews for exactly that and another might be strung up for being too samey. And both views can be entirely valid because they're two different games.

Comment

2 of the worst rated here would be in my top 10 of the year 0_o.

Comment

Huge props for Star Wars! Definiltey am a big fan the film is one of my favorites in years, and for many to come but I do find it a bit odd that it would be the best. I guess there wasn't a huge draw. As far as film making is concerned, many other movies certainly would supersede TFA.

Comment

Originally posted by smouty View Post
                        I understand George Lucas agrees with you but I'd probably still love it (still not seen it) even if it was a frame-for-frame remake
                        I did liked Chappie even if was was a load of nonsense. More than the Martian which is just another derivative Hollywood release albeit an entertaining one for when you want to switch off.
                        I didn't think Mad Max was anything special with the main plus point being that there was no CGI. I prefer not to look 'behind the curtain'.
                        I didn't vote but Ex-machina would be top for me.
                        A wise Dogg once said "One man's Yuk is another man's yum", so it's interesting to see how our opinions differ, [MENTION=2680]smouty[/MENTION]!

The shot-for-shot remake of Psycho was universally panned and like Roger Ebert said, the film "demonstrates that a shot-by-shot remake is pointless; genius apparently resides between or beneath the shots, or in chemistry that cannot be timed or counted", so I'm not sure a Star Wars reshoot, would have worked, but I've no doubt it would still have made a fortune!

Yet The Force Awakens feels so familiar (Cantina, Death Star Planet with exhaust port trench weakness, young person discovering The Force within them etc.) that it didn't feel very fresh.
                        It was lots of fun, but it felt like going back to the same seaside town as when you were a kid.

Chappie really frustrated me because there wasn't a single likeable character other than Chappie himself and he felt like Johnny-5 had wandered onto the set of Robocop.
                        The ending was a stretch too far, as well.
                        Why did Blomkamp put so much emphasis on Die Antwoord? It felt like he listened to them and then wanted to shoehorn them into the film. Just like that time Michael Bolton saw Pirates of the Caribean and just wanted to sing about Jack Sparrow:
                        [hide][/hide]

There was loads of CGI in Mad Max, but George Miller wisely decided to not make it the main focus of the film, which was really refreshing. One car exploding was more thrilling than yet another CGI city getting destroyed in various superhero movies.
                        For me, it was a genuinely exciting film, especially in the first third where the action was relentless and exhausing - IMAX made it even more overwhelming!
                        [hide]

[/hide]

We're in agreement about Deus Ex, though. It's not a blockbuster, but it is a small, yet fascinating story. Like an expanded Outer Limits or Twighlight Zone episode.

I loved It Follows too but I had another nightmare about it last night!

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                          I loved It Follows too but I had another nightmare about it last night!
                          I thought it was pretty decent too and especially liked the soundtrack.

Comment

It Follows was quality. First film in years to make me nearly jump out of my chair.

Shouldn't really compare them but The Guest was more fun.

Comment

I really disliked It Follows, always find it interesting the love it gets.

Comment

Working...
                              X