The Chronicles of Narnia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Chronicles of Narnia

The world of Narnia is returning to the silver screen with The Silver Chair! But don't expect the usual business of the previous films to carry over, as this sequel has now become a reboot.

Yes, somehow the Narnia series is plowing onwards at its own glacial pace. The Silver Chair will be the next book to be adapted with the script being worked on right now.

Personally, this franchise has been far too slow and I'm not sure it's worth it at this point continuing.
    Last edited by Neon Ignition; 08-11-2023, 06:20.

My kids really enjoyed the movies to be fair. The bits of the ones I saw looked fine. SFX were pretty cool.

Comment

Had no idea there were three already. Remember something about a boat... maybe that was some other movie.

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
        http://www.cinemablend.com/new/How-N...ir-105607.html

Yes, somehow the Narnia series is plowing onwards at its own glacial pace. The Silver Chair will be the next book to be adapted with the script being worked on right now.

Personally, this franchise has been far too slow and I'm not sure it's worth it at this point continuing.
        It makes sense they would make The Silver Chair, though, as it's very "stand-alone".

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
        Had no idea there were three already. Remember something about a boat... maybe that was some other movie.
        It went into turnaround; Disney sold it and The Voyage of the Dawn Treader was made by the same people, but under the control of a different studio.

That being said, this will probably be it. They won't make The Horse and His Boy because it paints a British-Empire picture of "Persia" which is likely to be seen as racist/xenophobic today. They won't make The Magician's Nephew because the scene in which the song of creation creates Narnia would dwarf the budget of all the previous films.

They also won't make The Last Battle because it's a bit clumsy (what with being written in such a hurry) and it goes beyond the usual Narnia religious metaphors and lands smack-bang in the middle of some kind of sunday-school parable.

Comment

SNACK ATTACK, MOTHER****ER
          Its the Chronic (what?)
          Cles of Narnia
          Yes, the Chronic (what?)
          Cles of Narnia
          We love that Chronic (what?)
          Cles of Narnia
          Pass that Chronic (what?)
          Cles of Narnia

Comment

Gerwig's "Narnia" Targets 2024 Shoot - Dark Horizons
            Next year Barbie director Greta Gerwig will helm two Chronicles of Narnia movies headed to Netflix. They haven't confirmed which books this time though

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
              Gerwig's "Narnia" Targets 2024 Shoot - Dark Horizons
              Next year Barbie director Greta Gerwig will helm two Chronicles of Narnia movies headed to Netflix. They haven't confirmed which books this time though
              The same ones. Honestly, it has to be. Maybe you could do The Silver Chair with some small changes.

But The Horse and his Boy and The Last Battle are far too problematic for the 2020s. There's literally a bit in The Last Battle where they wear brownface to go spy on the enemy. And I suspect The Magician's Nephew would need a great deal of adaptation, to the point it'd be very different.

And, frankly... The prior movies are still fantastic kids' faire at Christmas. There's really no reason to make them again.

Comment

I'm assuming the rights weren't hard to get as family fantasy isn't as hot as it used to be. For Gerwig she presumably signed on pre-Barbie as well so the Netflix money made more sense then. Now they'll want to push on because they can promote it as the next thing from the Director of Barbie but secretly I wouldn't be surprised if it's something that many just want to get out of the way now so that they can focus on better things

Comment

Gerwig's "Narnia" To Adapt Whole Series - Dark Horizons
                  Gerwig's two Narnia films will retain the Christianity elements of the books and will breakdown and compress the stories of all seven books into one storyline that runs across the two films

Comment

Gerwig's "Narnia" To Adapt Whole Series - Dark Horizons
                    Gerwig's two Narnia films will retain the Christianity elements of the books and will breakdown and compress the stories of all seven books into one storyline that runs across the two films
                    oh dear god no

To put it in perspective, The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe movie is one of the best book adaptations ever. It's basically 1:1 with the book, not losing anything notable. The books are short and it does add some stuff (a 10-minute prologue to cement that the kids are living through World War 2, which is fine, as the original audience didn't need this but a future audience does) and a 5-minute action scene involving the thawing waterfall to make the best of the shift to the screen. It really adds/loses very little and even much of the dialogue is verbatim from the book; going so far as making sure Father Christmas looks like a huntsman in leathers, not Coca-Cola Santa. And that's all packed into a tight 2h30m.

I'm not sure how you condense it like that.

Comment

You adapt the the initial books in the first hour, focus the back end on the latter books and as soon as you reach the Caspian/Lion/Dawn trilogies story add an insert

Comment

You adapt the the initial books in the first hour, focus the back end on the latter books and as soon as you reach the Caspian/Lion/Dawn trilogies story add an insert
                        I've gotta assume that they're doing this because the project will be predominantly LionWitchWardrobe. Even as someone who loved all the books as a kid, it's clearly the stand-out one.

Part of me wondered if they were gonna do a Rings of Power and try to make a movie about Queen Swanwhite, the one character/thread that suggests there could've been an 8th book.

Comment

Working...
                        X