Gaming irks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Asura View Post
    I could go either way. The point is that the sales on Steam are that good and that frequent that I tend to consider the sale price to be the actual price!
    Yeah, that's exactly it. I'm the same. I'm just not sure that's good for games. I don't know. Maybe indie devs would tell me that the rush on sales is a great thing for them.

Comment

Flashpoint, the first of three expansions planned for BattleTech, hit digital storefronts yesterday. I'm a Kickstarter backer of the base game and bought the season pass a couple of months ago when the expansions were officially announced.
      Yesterday I get home, start GOG's client, and...no updates. The expansion, along a major patch for the base game, unlocks at 19:30. Sure.
      Download starts at that time, and after 30 minutes it's done.
      I start the game and...the expansion isn't installed. The patch is.
      Quick search on the internet indicates there are problems for people on GOG and season pass.
      Did a quick search a few minutes ago and apparently the problem still persists.
      Groan.

Comment

Here's a thing [MENTION=5941]Asura[/MENTION] brought up recently and is something already affecting me: Digital games are harder to buy as good gifts. For example, one of my kids want a Switch game for Christmas that is digital only. It has been on sale for a limited time. But if I buy it, it will just be sitting on our Switch. If I wait, it is back to full price. There isn't an option to buy it, save it and present it as a gift. And as Asura said, giving a digital game just isn't the same.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
          Here's a thing @Asura brought up recently and is something already affecting me: Digital games are harder to buy as good gifts. For example, one of my kids want a Switch game for Christmas that is digital only. It has been on sale for a limited time. But if I buy it, it will just be sitting on our Switch. If I wait, it is back to full price. There isn't an option to buy it, save it and present it as a gift. And as Asura said, giving a digital game just isn't the same.
          Yeah, the thing is, I think Steam has managed to sort this out pretty well. You can buy stuff as gifts, and queue it up to send on a specific date. When you receive them, the flow for "opening" the gift is pretty nice too.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
            Yeah, the thing is, I think Steam has managed to sort this out pretty well. You can buy stuff as gifts, and queue it up to send on a specific date. When you receive them, the flow for "opening" the gift is pretty nice too.
            I didn't know that. That sounds like exactly what I would want in this scenario. The console people should get on that.

Comment

I didn't know that. That sounds like exactly what I would want in this scenario. The console people should get on that.
              Yeah, come to think of it, there are other things. Steam has often ran offers where when you buy a game, you get the game and multiple additional copies which you can "gift" to other people. This is usually the case for 4-player co-op games; you can usually get a "4-pack" for the cost of around 2.5 copies where you get the game for yourself, and 3 copies to give away. Sometimes games just give you 2 copies to help the game spread around the community.

Comment

The console people might get around to it one day. You know which console person will be last to do it though I imagine...

Comment

I get the feeling that Steam has all these cool USPs because it's on PC. With the consoles, you're stuck with whatever the manufacturers decide to do. Gifts? No gifts? Won't make a blind bit of difference because they don't need to entice people to use them over competing services.

Comment

The Wii eShop had gifting, not all this fancy stuff with sending on particular days, but better than what Ninty has now.

Comment

Switch game prices for games yeeeears old.

Carcassonne
                      mobile £3.69
                      Switch £17.99

Comment

Yeah but Sword & Sworcery is dirt cheap. So that's good.

Comment

I realise I’m probably in the minority here but I think the sales on Steam are too good. They often cut the prices so much that, yeah, many people will wait for the inevitable sale to buy a game and it devalues games on the platform. It’s not quite App Store level but it approaches that.
                          Steam sales devalue the product far to much.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
                            The console people might get around to it one day. You know which console person will be last to do it though I imagine...
                            Atari?

Comment

I unexpectedly ended up with a day mostly clear to sink my time into something yesterday so rather than chip at existing stuff I took the opportunity to start something relatively quick to play through, the choice was Call of Cthulu

I fairly enjoyed the first third, it's very Murdered: Soul Suspect as in you play it but there's little to it you'd consider to be a game. It's probably most like a walking sim, then the middle third kicks in and it turns into a weak stealth game but by then I felt immersed enough in the story. Evening hits and I have just enough time to actually complete the game in a single day and what happens? Desktop error.

The game was running but after loading up would kind of flick to black screen for a second and then display but you couldn't interact with it. Tried everything I could and it kept doing the same, googled it and nothing so to find out what happens ended up doing that most awful of things...

watching the last third on Youtube.

Comment

PS4 pro has been sent back to Sony for repair/maintenance/replacement.

Fans have got so loud the last month that it wakes my other half up, that’s with regular cleaning every dam week.

Have to say Sony’s hardware quality hasn’t been up to standard this gen.

Comment

Working...
                                X