No announcement yet.

Ready Player One - Movie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yah that article isn't really about Ready Player One, it just uses it as a jumping off point. And I agree with it. Gamers, honestly, by and large, they're a-holes. Even though I spend a good portion of my free time playing games and an unhealthy amount of time thinking about them, I don't identify as a 'gamer'. It has a certain implication that you're a certain type of neckbeard for whom the fact that they play video games is in their minds their defining trait.

Comment

What was funny about the film is that despite taking place around 30 years in the future, VR as an experience has improved yet the real world practicalities have gotten even worse than they have now. It was pretty much little different than Lister, Rimmer and Cat back in RD6

Comment

[MENTION=960]Lebowski[/MENTION] Dogg is right, it's not criticising RPO, but noting how fanbases have changed in the time between the time of the book and film. It's an interesting article but it's not having a go at RPO.
        Maybe it's because we're mainly decent sorts on here we struggle to understand Gamergate?

I liked Ernest Cline's last book, but it's a lot simpler than RPO and definitely not as good. It's not a sequel, it's a completely different story.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
          I liked Ernest Cline's last book, but it's a lot simpler than RPO and definitely not as good. It's not a sequel, it's a completely different story.
          A friend of mine read it; is it the one that's basically The Last Starfighter? As he was very critical of it.

Comment

Yep, that’s the one.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
              [MENTION=960]Lebowski[/MENTION] Dogg is right, it's not criticising RPO, but noting how fanbases have changed in the time between the time of the book and film. It's an interesting article but it's not having a go at RPO.
              Maybe it's because we're mainly decent sorts on here we struggle to understand Gamergate?

i don't think fanbases have changed that much its just that where less tolerant of the toxic behavior that certain groups display, take the new Star Wars film, the backlash this film received from a small vocal minority because the film didn't play out like they expected has massively damaged that community. Things like creating bots to down vote and create user reviews on the film aggregate sites really shows that certain parts of the fanbase are full of spoilt man childs.

similar things have happened in the past between platform exclusives on xbox360 and ps3 with massive swaves of negative reviews showing up on critically acclaimed platform exclusives, that are clearly just angry fanboys spamming their rivals platform in some sort of review war, I remember Halo 3 having thousands of 0's when it first came out, as did The last of us.
              Last edited by Lebowski; 10-04-2018, 10:09.

Comment

Just loved all the pop culture of this movie, could relate to loads of it, great film for me

Comment

Watched this tonight.

Was okay. Enjoyed playing "spot the reference" but there were times when it was too busy and there was too much going on.

Comment

Working...
                  X