Ready Player One - Movie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ready Player One - Movie

Searched and couldn't find another thread on this so started one.

Ready Player One is one the best books I've ever read, it's absolutely incredible.
    Review of the book here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNBcu0H-q10

Spielberg has signed up to direct the movie. Hopefully he'll be on form for this.

Fancy being in the movie? you can send auditions to Warner Bros. lol
    Casting Networks helps performers find great roles and industry professionals find great talent. The future of casting is here.
    Last edited by HC_O; 11-02-2016, 23:30.

Weird. I coulda sworn there was a thread!

Anyway, yeah, what a great book!
    I'm really excited that Spielberg is directing the film.
    Shame it's been moved back to avoid clashing with Star Wars XVI (or whatever they're up to).

They're going to have to cut so much stuff though. There's a pop culture reference on nigh-on every page!

Cline's following book, Armada, is fun too, but has less of an impact than RPO.

Comment

It's been delayed until March 2018 I believe so it's not in direct competition with Star Wars episode 8

Comment

The audiobooks for both Ready Player One and Armada are read by Wil Wheaton, who played Wesley Crusher in Star Trek: The Next Generation and does an brilliant job.

He even glosses over the part where he mentions "President Wil Wheaton"!

Well worth a listen to on your daily commute.

Comment

Ready Player One is fun but getting all those licenses will be tough. I do want to see a spaceship in Middle Earth though. Wreck It Ralph started it, Pixels did a bit more, and this will have to blow them both out of the water.

The finale, too

will be better than actual Godzilla films if done right.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
            Cline's following book, Armada, is fun too, but has less of an impact than RPO.
            Only found out about Armada quite recently, it's downloaded and the next inline on my Kindle to read.
            Other than it's by Cline I don't know anything else about it, on purpose, to avoid any spoilers.

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
            He even glosses over the part where he mentions "President Wil Wheaton"!

Well worth a listen to on your daily commute.
            Yeah I tried this when the audio book was released. I thought it might be cool to have on in the car, as you say on the commute, but I just didn't get on with it. It was the first and last audio book I downloaded, I found out they aren't for me.
            I heard though that is was really popular as an audio book, so I think I'm in a minority there.
            And Wil Wheaton was a great choice, I love Next Gen.

Comment

This just reminded me I need to read the book again. Not sure how well the movie will work.

Comment

Hopefully seeing this on Saturday, not expecting to be wowed but reviews seem to indicate a fun enough ride. DeLorean makes it an insta-win anywho

Comment

The iron giant makes it an instant win for me lol then the deloran

Comment

Watched this last night having not read the book. It could do with a bit less cheese here and there but, overall, it's a great nerdgasm.

Comment

Saw the film today and really enjoyed it.

The Shining bit was brilliant

Comment

Loved the book, hated the film. They took an awesome story, ruined it, and delivered a kids flick.

Comment

Originally posted by Gradius View Post
                          Saw the film today and really enjoyed it.

The Shining bit was brilliant
                          My favorite bit too. Blew me the F away.

Not a perfect film but I really enjoyed it. Will definitely get the blu-ray.

Comment

I've had the book sitting around for yonks, maybe I should read it, my bro bought it me Xmas 2016, I honestly never knew it was a thing!

Comment

Saw it today and... it's alright. I'll look forward to seeing a proper breakdown of the cameo's and references. Most obscure ones I saw were for Starfox and Last Action Hero.

Take away the pop culture references though and... man, you have nothing. I'd have very, very little interest in seeing the film repeatedly. I don't know how far it strays from the book but the plotting is incredibly basic and predictable. If it weren't for the background watching and brisk pace it'd fall apart very easily. Solid, but not amazing.

Comment

Working...
                              X