No announcement yet.

Nintendo WiiU: Thread 06 - Discontinued Edition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes that is great news, some cracking titles there for twenty quid.

EDIT: They're not out here until 15th April, and will be the same low price on the eShop too.
    Last edited by VR46; 10-03-2016, 11:47.

Comment

Lego City Undercover is also well worth it, just use the loading times to make a cuppa or something.

Comment

Seems like Star Ghost could be worth a whirl, out on eShop today

Comment

David Wise on music? Sold!

Comment

Enjoy the videos and music that you love, upload original content and share it all with friends, family and the world on YouTube.

Cemu is barrelling along it seems. The video in the link looks like not much has changed but previous vids were sped up and this one is real time

Comment

Originally posted by parkinho View Post
              David Wise on music? Sold!
              DON'T BOTHER!!

I just fell for the same shpiel. The game is severely lacking in control, as well as everything else.

It's like the barrel levels out of DKC:TF, but with crap shooting. Upgrades only go so far; and they gradually cool down, meaning if you don't collect more then you receive downgrades. Sometimes there are droughts of power ups which means you downgrade all the way down. The first asteroid field for instance, it's meant to be like a bonus stage as it gives you a turbo multiplier - but it doesn't give you any upgrades throughout meaning you're back to pea-shooter status towards the end.

At some point during my 30mins of play I got a missiles upgrade, which felt like a much needed injection of destruction... This lasted around two minutes before it was taken from me for no reason at all.

When you die you start from the beginning. I'm cool with that, you know me. But it just takes far too long to get back into the action (stage 3?). Those first two levels will send you to sleep the second time, if they don't do it the first time.

The whole system just feels totally anti-climatic. Uninstalled after three credits.

I wish I could get a refund.

2/10.

Comment

There's a reason why shmups have controlled the same way for the past 30 years:

1) 8-directional inputs have been around much longer than phone screens, where taps may prove to be more intuitive.
                1a) In the case of 360degree input Geometry Wars kind of solidified how those should control.
                2) It's responsive, and thus fun.
                3) It doesn't suck.

Besides, why would an ultra-futuristic interstellar space craft come with such a gay gravity-based propulsion system for steering of all things?

The levels are procedurally generated... That also translates to "NON OF THE LEVELS HAVE BEEN DESIGNED INTELLIGENTLY, OR AROUND THE INPUT SYSTEM ONE BIT".

It's like 'My First Shmup (For People Who've Played Flappy Bird', only my first shmups were Mirax Force and later R-Type.

How could this game be made better? A few ways...

1) Speed power ups.
                2) Firing arc power ups.
                3) Three times as many enemies on the screen at once, with twice the fire rate.
                3a) Reduce the player hitbox to compensate.
                4) Make power ups around five times as bountiful.
                5) Upgrades should go further than three measly levels.
                6) Increased stage diversity. I had to read the review to realise that they were procedurally generated.
                6a) Increased enemy diversity
                7) Multiplier expansion. See Geometry Wars, Resogun, or Galaga Legions DX.

They're the main ones I can think of off the top of my head. There are likely two dozen more.
                Last edited by dataDave; 11-03-2016, 06:43.

Comment

I'm still very raw after taking a $9 hit on this... Next time one of you lot can take a hit for the team!!

Comment

Think I'll avoid it mate and stick with playing Sin & Punishment 2 this weekend as per the original plan!

Comment

Shakedown Hawaii is to receive a physical release on Nintendo Wii U and also Nintendo Wii

Comment

With a practically infinite number of courses, Super Mario Maker – only available on Wii U – is packed with endless Mario fun everyone can enjoy!

From 31 March 2021 Super Mario Maker won't allow the uploading of new courses and the Bookmark site will close. Pre-uploaded courses will still be playable but the game itself will be removed from sale on 31 January 2021.

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
                          https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Games/Wii...er-892704.html
                          From 31 March 2021 Super Mario Maker won't allow the uploading of new courses and the Bookmark site will close. Pre-uploaded courses will still be playable but the game itself will be removed from sale on 31 January 2021.
                          This only applies to the original, on WiiU, though - not the newer one.

Honestly I think this is one of Nintendo's biggest slip-ups this generation, ditching all their previous online services (like MiiVerse) for newer, worse versions. Given, the newer versions are better in a certain respect, they aren't quite so archaic in terms of account handling, and it doesn't feel like you've got to go to an augur to reset a password or switch between consoles, but I really liked MiiVerse - and by moving away from all that, they're forced to close down things like this because they're maintaining an entire service that I imagine few people still use.

Comment

MiiVerse was the best invention on the WiiU by far. A massive shame that they closed it down. The Switch interface feels so dead and basic compared to the WiiU’s, with your plaza and all the messages. It was actually really well done.

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
                              MiiVerse was the best invention on the WiiU by far. A massive shame that they closed it down. The Switch interface feels so dead and basic compared to the WiiU’s, with your plaza and all the messages. It was actually really well done.
                              Yep. Now, admittedly, Nintendo did that by a "cart before the horse" approach, where they had all these cool features while the most basic aspects were terrible. Now, they've got many of the basics down but none of the cool stuff, and are still missing some basics (like not being able to buy Switch games as gifts).

Comment

Yeah, I 'd agree with that.

Last gen everyone put a big focus on social in their UIs. Sony spotlighted user video/streams from games above all else, Microsoft made you go past Mixer to do practically anything, and Nintendo had Miiverse right there on the homescreen.

Now they've all backed away from it to greater and lesser extents - in MS and Sony's case, they've got a much better balance IMO. But Nintendo, who, bizarrely, got it the most right of anyone last gen, has utterly ****canned theirs. It's frustrating.

Comment

Working...
                                X