Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just read Eurogamers review of Pokemon Sword and Shield. It's not bad but its a little depressing

Comment

Scanned the review thread at Era and several sites seem to have been more positive, there's a few that are merely okay. Sounds like it's a good game, just depends on how much it bothers the player over what's been cut and how much the limitations still adhere to its handheld background as opposed to being a full blown console experience.

Comment

Pokemon Sword and Shield is one of those situations where the reaction of 'fans' has me wanting the game to do well regardless of how it actually is. But, as much as I've enjoyed many Pokemon games along the way, the series peaked for me with Gold and Silver and certainly lost its charm when it went 3D... but that's just me. Haven't read any reviews yet but I expect them to be surprised that nothing has moved on and that they're still fundamentally the same game. Am I close?

After finishing FFXII on Switch yesterday I went to check the eShop to see if anything I wanted is on sale. Unfortunately there wasn't but it did show me that I have around 25 games on my watch list (after trimming off the ones I own - bizarre that doesn't happen automatically).

I think the Untitled Goose Game might be next.

Comment

Seems to be largely the case. A fair focus on culling the Pokedex which isn't a development that bothers me, collecting 1000 Pokémon or however many there are now is a bit like collecting 1000 cars in Gran Turismo to me i.e something I've no interest in because I'll likely use barely more than a dozen. There are apparently lots of moments where the game sets up events or locations then it turns out they don't actually exist or there's nothing to them. In effect it sounds like you say - a bells and whistles expansion of the 3DS entries rather than something built to maximise the Switch.

Comment

Yeah, I've been wanting them to clamp down on the number of Pokemon for years now. Basically since after Gold and Silver. I've said it here before but the Gotta Catch 'Em All thing became a mockery after that point. There was no way they could continue to just keep that number rising and nor should they. At some point, whether just by choice or necessity, that was going to change.

Anyone complaining that it doesn't have all the Pokemon should be made to Pokerap all existing Pokemon from memory and, if they can't do it, they don't get their Pokemon.

That aside, the series has always moved at a crawl. Little baby steps. Sun and Moon looked really nice by comparison (I still far prefer the charm of the GBA age) but they were still essentially the same game.

Comment

Anyone played that Digimon game?
              Makes a good replacement to recycled character models, apparently.

Comment

You mean Cybersleuth?

Comment

Originally posted by briareos_kerensky View Post
                  You mean Cybersleuth?
                  Digimonstory Cybersleuth Complete Edition to be precise, yes.
                  A pox upon you for making me reGoogle the name!

Comment

I've got it yesterday, but since I'm playing Luigi's Mansion it will have to wait. Hearing a lot of good things though, that's why I bought it.

Comment

Personally I'm really concerned about some of the images I'm seeing of Poke Sw/Sh online. Some of them are clearly fake, others are probably fake but just better fakes.

However, there's a good comparison image doing the rounds which compares the game's visuals to that of BotW, and it's really clear from that and the Eurogamer review that the game is a suped-up handheld game, in a mutton-dressed-as-lamb situation. I think it does appear a bit underwhelming.

I'm not talking about the #Dexit thing here; like others above, I've never caught every 'mon in any of the prior games, so not having all 24506035432 monsters doesn't really affect me, but what's disappointing in Eurogamer's review is the explanation of how so much of the world is just dressing. They explain in that review that one of the towns is just a long street, flanked by buildings, with a Pokemon Centre in the middle - but the Centre is literally the only building you can enter or do anything with. They describe it as like you've walked onto the set of a Western movie, with all the fake shopfronts and saloon fascias that have no interiors behind them, and I can see why they'd say that.

I'll be honest... Pokemon is the world's most popular entertainment brand. Quite literally #1. The RPGs are, arguably, the spine of that, and it'll be kinda strange if GameFreak/TPC/Nintendo didn't go all-in on this one. The reaction of the community has been off-the-scale, which has taken things a bit far (but as we've been through on topics like Star Wars, that doesn't bother me quite so much as some).

My pre-order's been confirmed by Amazon today, so I couldn't cancel if I wanted to... So I'll give it a go. Fingers crossed.

EDIT: Here's a cropped version of what I mentioned above:

Again, could be fake, or an example of best case vs. worst case. We'll find out on Friday I guess.
                      Last edited by Asura; 13-11-2019, 17:52.

Comment

I had a look at a few reviews and it seems like a mixed bag. Some reporting things that aren’t quite as good as they once were (and I have felt that a bit about other Pokémon games) but others really liking it overall. Like I said, Pokemon has always just taken baby steps. Anyone who expected Skyrim with Pokemon, well, any disappointment is on them if they know the series at all.

Comment

My copy just shipped.

Comment

You’ll be making videos about textures, pop in and animation comparisons in no time.

Comment

Anyone wondering what the games of a notional 4DS would have looked like, well, have a look at Pokémon Sword and Shield.

For me what felt damning in the EG review wasn’t so much that things had stayed the same, but had appeared to go backwards in some ways, and certainly didn’t feel like they were close to where they should be with this new generation of entries.

It’s a shame about all the moaning about the Pokédex being cut back though, as I feel like a) it’s ridiculous as there are too many anyway and b) it’s getting in the way of legitimate conversation about where this entry appears to be lacking.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                                You’ll be making videos about textures, pop in and animation comparisons in no time.
                                and they'll be longer than the game! 🤣

Comment

Working...
                                X