No announcement yet.

America's Darkest Days II: Blackest Night

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mattis resigns (no Trump he didn't retire, he's just had enough of your nonsense): https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...a6b_story.html

This is not good news for the world as Mattis was one of few sane voices in the administration. The article suggests that Trump might replace him with someone from the defence industry rather than someone military because no military strategist would agree withdrawal from Syria at the moment was a good idea.

Elect stupid presidents, get stupid prizes.
    Last edited by MartyG; 21-12-2018, 08:52.

Comment

And Trump goes with Patrick Shanahan for Secretary of Defense after kicking Mattis out two months early. Who? https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/pat...ecretary-pick/

Comment

Trump says the new Mexico trade deal generates enough money for the wall and yet he continues the shutdown. Let's be honest, he's running out of time to get meaningful construction started before the next election campaign and he's desperate to have it running as he'll get savaged if he fails to deliver it. Long may everyone hold out because the loser doesn't get the extent of the damage he's doing to his campaign with this approach.

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
          https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/...96274182995969

Trump says the new Mexico trade deal generates enough money for the wall and yet he continues the shutdown. Let's be honest, he's running out of time to get meaningful construction started before the next election campaign and he's desperate to have it running as he'll get savaged if he fails to deliver it. Long may everyone hold out because the loser doesn't get the extent of the damage he's doing to his campaign with this approach.
          I'm tired. He'll fail, but he'll get voted in because his supporters still want it.

He'll probably stay in for 6 terms and pass the position to his son.

Comment

His biggest shot at a second term is likely if the Democrats try to be progressive on the gender or race of their next candidate. It shouldn't be the case but Trump feeds on that kind of weaponised slandering. If he's against a competent, experienced and liked white guy he'll probably go down fast as wrong as that is on paper.

Comment

Republicans negotiate a plan to end the shutdown with other Republicans then Trump kills it. Turning on his own, the winners touch

Comment

It's early days but the Democrats are finally starting to prep for the 2020 Primaries. The link is the current list of candidates

Comment

Trumps disapproval rating hits a new peak of 57%

Comment

It scares me that it's not higher. It says terrible things about the country.

Comment

On a plus side though:

Nancy Pelosi has blocked that utter tango baby of a president from delivering his state of the union speech.

Comment

How much smoke will be found in order to locate the fire?

Comment

This investigation makes me wonder: were all presidential campaigns like this and everyone else was smart enough to hide things or Trump and his associates thought they'll untouchables if they won the elections?

Comment

I dunno, honestly, I think a lot of it boils back to the old suspicion people had that he never expected to win so dirty tactics were deemed easy to pull off. He'd make a lot of noise, raise his profile, bank lots of money then swagger off but instead won and finds himself in an utter s---show.

I don't believe he can win a second term unless the Democrats make it easy for him. I'd be curious if he even wants to

Comment

"There was a recent Congressional hearing that grilled Google CEO Sundar Pichai, accusing the search giant of producing politically biased results.

Republicans hammered Pichai on the company’s alleged political bias, some worried that Google’s employees—assumed to be overwhelmingly left-leaning—tilt the search results to be anti-GOP and anti-Trump.

While lawmakers generally didn’t support more regulation, they did call for Google to conduct more internal oversight related to bias and that, if not, it could suffer some undefined consequences.

“You run off conservatives, you embrace liberals,” Rep. Louie Gohmert, a Texas Republican, told Pichai. ”It’s time Google was not immune and held accountable.”

Rep. Ted Lieu (D-Calif.) went off on his colleagues for blaming a search engine for their own negative actions.

Lieu compared the search results between Rep. Steve Scalise (R-La.) and Rep. Steve King (R-Iowa), both of whom are Republicans. He showed how Google brought up mostly positive articles about Scalise and his new book. But when he Googled King at the hearing, he demonstrated how articles popped up referencing King’s racist remarks.

Lieu said he was “stating the obvious”:
                              If you want positive search results, do positive things. If you don’t want negative search results, don’t do negative things. And to some of my colleagues across the aisle, if you’re getting bad press articles and bad search results, don’t blame Google or Facebook or Twitter, consider blaming yourself.”

Sundar Pichai fielded questions about Google's political influence, data collection, and plans for China at Tuesday's Congressional hearing.

Bonus points if you spot the Monopoly guy...
                              Last edited by QualityChimp; 25-01-2019, 15:23.

Comment

Originally posted by briareos_kerensky View Post
                                This investigation makes me wonder: were all presidential campaigns like this and everyone else was smart enough to hide things or Trump and his associates thought they'll untouchables if they won the elections?
                                Part of the issue is US politics being so partisan. For instance, when Trump won (Republican), opposition supporters called for electoral reform due to him winning the electoral college without getting the popular vote. Thing is, when JFK (Democrat) beat Nixon in the same way, it isn't like he refused to take office or pushed for reform whilst in office.

I'm sure dodgy deals happen all the time. When Clinton's scandal was ongoing, I remember people digging up loads of shady dealings and financial improprieties (it was one of the reasons some Democrats didn't like having Hilary as a candidate years later). I may be wrong (as I was pretty young at the time) but I seem to remember the only reason Clinton wasn't impeached was because his second term was coming to an end anyway, so it seemed a pointless endeavour.

However, I'm not saying "Democrats and Republicans are the same", because I simply don't know enough about American politics to make that assertion.

Comment

Working...
                                X