No announcement yet.

America's Darkest Days II: Blackest Night

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Other countries have lots of guns but don't have daily random gun deaths. America as a whole has demonstrated that it can't be trusted to own them. It's time for other countries to start imposing sanctions until they sort their **** out. If it was another country with an issue like this, the USA would probably want to invade help them by sending in troops to forcibly remove the guns.

It can solve problems all around the world when it wants to (and there's money to be made), but it can't solve its own. It's pathetic.
    Last edited by charlesr; 16-02-2018, 10:12.

Comment

Originally posted by MartyG View Post
      It's not impossible to make gun ownership illegal or massively restrict it - but it'll definitely never happen with Trump and the NRA.
      It'll never happen.
      Never ever ever.

We're happily sitting here thinking banning guns is the solution, but many, many Americans don't see it that way.

As you say, Dunblane changed UK laws, Port Arthur changed Australian laws. Things can be done and proven to work, but you get token efforts and "thoughts and prayers".
      After Sandy Hook where 20 children between six and seven years old were killed, they actually loosened gun restrictions in many states.

Here's another couple of pictures I saw on Facebook last night:

Seven weeks into 2018 and there's been eight school shootings.

45 days into 2018 and there's been 29 mass shootings.

I thought "let's take a look at what people think...":

"Outlawing guns won't matter. Heroin is illegal and guess what? You can buy it. Dui is illegal. People know this and still drive drunk. Alcohol was illegal at one time and people still sought it out We as a nation have closed mental health hospitals and made it hard to get treatment without stigma. Gun control
      Isn't the answer. Making it easier to access treatment and training educators to better identify mental health issues is. School and societal pressure on kids today is unbelievable.
      "

"Why does no one think this is a result of a mental health crisis in our country!!
      Mentally Healthy People do not kill people....it’s that simple!!
      "

"Over 300 Million gun owners in the U.S. and 1 slips up and it becomes the guns problem, my prayers go out to the families of the victims to this madness...
      But nobody blames the car when a drunk driver kills a family. There is no worship here. Only ****ty people.
      Nobody blames the spoon for someone eating themselves to 500 pounds.
      Nobody blames the pencil for misspelling words on an essay or using the wrong adjective
      Nobody blames the plane for an emergency landing due to engine related problems
      Stop blaming the tool and start blaming the ****ty people who deserve to hang publicly for doing monsterous **** like this.
      "

"How many shootings occur in police stations, gun shows, or shooting ranges?
      Gun-free zones are not safe and do not in any way protect anyone from a person hellbent on breaking the law.
      "

"If you can’t come to the conclusion that it’s the person, not the inanimate object being used that’s the problem, then you are part of the problem."

"He was mad he got expelled from the school, he was a troubled teen. If one teacher would have had a gun he wouldn’t have been able to kill so many and HE would be dead!!!
      We need more guns with the good guys!
      "

"It's not a gun problem. It's a spoiled bratty kids picking on less fortunate children, it's skinny girls picking on fat girls, jocks picking on nerds. It's children being raised by grandparents or no one at all. It's kids watching drugs, violence and hate between their parents, or gaurdians. It's kids not knowing how to deal with emotions, and never learning the difference between right and wrong. It's kids having no disipline because parents are afraid of cps taking their kids. There is no structure, no stability, no safe place for alot of today's youth and it's only going to get worse."

...and so on and so on.

Comment

Comment

To quote Auf Wiedersehen Pet: Nobody said it was gonna be easy, nobody said it had to be fair.

It requires a culture change - if having more guns is the answer, it's peculiar there have been so many mass shootings on Army Bases - the places where they have all the guns

It's faulty logic and whataboutism.

I'd agree it'll probably never happen, but it'll definitely never happen with Trump - there was some movement towards tighter controls with Obama - but Trump has a hard-on for reversing anything Obama did, even if it makes zero sense to do so.
          Last edited by MartyG; 16-02-2018, 10:28.

Comment

If Obama would've known, he could have played it smart and started Obamaguns, which allows loose gun laws, so that Trump, in his stomping hissy fit to undo all of Obama's work unwittingly bans the sale of handguns!

To be honest, I'm virtually past caring.
            If they don't want to help themselves, address the issue and stop pointing the blame to anything other than the fact everyone has easy access to guns, then forget them.

Did you know they tried to blame the Sandy Hook shooter's obsession with videogames as a reason?
            CoD? Postal? GTA? Manhunt?

No. The guy was addicted to Dance Dance Revolution...

"This should lead us to a very important conclusion: Mass murder had nothing at all to do with culture. Maybe it had to do with something else found in the house? Like the Bushmaster Model XM15-E2S, the Glock 20, the Sig Sauer P226, the 12-gauge, and the Savage Mark II rifle maybe? Could one of them have been the problem rather than whatever happened to be on the screens he was watching? The scariest thing revealed in the Sandy Hook report wasn't any video game or web history; it was a simple piece of paper: "A Christmas check from the mother to the shooter to purchase a CZ 83 firearm.""

Comment

"Why not just ban guns and when people are upset about it, just send them thoughts and prayers?"

Comment

I think that's why the education aspect has to be key. It's less about banning guns, more increasing the % of the population who aren't interested in owning them over time. It's like the smoking bans here, they could do them but it took a long, long road of reducing the number of smokers and altering public perception before it was an acceptable as a serious proposition

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
                  I think that's why the education aspect has to be key. It's less about banning guns, more increasing the % of the population who aren't interested in owning them over time. It's like the smoking bans here, they could do them but it took a long, long road of reducing the number of smokers and altering public perception before it was an acceptable as a serious proposition
                  Maybe they need to put photographs of shreaded internal organs on the outside of ammunition packaging - SURGEON GENERAL'S WARNING: Quitting Shooting People Now Greatly Reduces Serious Risks to Health.

Comment

After further shootings at a US school, the National Rifle Association has insisted that the only way to prevent further tragedies of this nature is to finally implement a ban ‘schools’…

Comment

It's absolutely unbelievable that America has never and will never address this. Every year they just shrug off a purge of children like it was caused by some act of God. Shameful.

Comment

Too much money, to many people in the NRA pockets to even think about restricting an industry that is currently struggling under Trump. Gun sales have massively slumped under trump as Americans now think their safe and there will be no restrictions placed on them while Trump is in power, under Obama their where record numbers of sales as he was pro gun control.

With Trump in the White House, America’s gun manufacturers are in trouble after a golden era under Barack Obama

the usual platitudes of thoughts and prayers and trumps blaming the community around the shooter for not doing more to stop him reinforce the fact that he wont do anything to control the sale of guns. Its Crazily but Trumps stance is killing the gun industry if he had started talking about the control of guns to people with mental health issues he might of kick started an Obama style gun rush again.
                        Last edited by Lebowski; 19-02-2018, 12:02.

Comment

"an estimated 7.7 million super-owners in possession of between eight and 140 guns apiece". Whaaat. I guess it's like collecting games at that point. You just can't stop.

Comment

With all the usual rubbish going on, those Florida kids are really impressing me. I can't possibly imagine what they are going through and they are coming out strong.

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
                              "an estimated 7.7 million super-owners in possession of between eight and 140 guns apiece". Whaaat. I guess it's like collecting games at that point. You just can't stop.
                              Yes, around half the guns in the US are owned by just 3% of the population. Staggering.
                              Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                                With all the usual rubbish going on, those Florida kids are really impressing me. I can't possibly imagine what they are going through and they are coming out strong.
                                Yeah, I saw a video of a girl talking to a crowd at the school - she was amazing.

Comment

Working...
                                X