No announcement yet.

The Marvel Cinematic Multiverse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

With the events of “Avengers: Infinity War” still fresh on people’s minds, there’s the obvious question as to how upcoming films in the Marvel Cinematic Universe will handle the fallout of that film. That movie ended with numerous character deaths, including the key stars of various standalone series. While it’s expected the return of many […]

Whilst Ant-Man and the Wasp is set between Civil War and Infinity War, James Gunn has officially confirmed that Guardians of the Galaxy Vol.3 is set after Avengers 4 which gives us another big confirmation that the Unsnappening is coming.

Revealed in a way that makes fun of the actor’s penchant for accidentally dropping spoilers, actor Tom Holland has posted on Instagram a message from this weekend’s ACE Seattle Comic Con and in the process reveals the “Spider-Man: Homecoming” sequel’s title – “Spider-Man: Far From Home”. Holland also uses the message to make fun of […]

Meanwhile, Tom Holland has unveiled the official title of the next Spider-Man movie which will be called the rather uncatchy title of Spider-Man: Far From Home

Comment

I really can’t imagine any scenario or villain whatsoever from now on matching infinitey war and the build up to it all.

Comment

Many seem to be hoping Disney buy Fox and roll out Doctor Doom as the next big bad but I'm kind of expected Phase 4 at the least won't have a big bad for the MCU to build towards at all.

Comment

Press rounds for “Ant-Man and the Wasp” have begun with the film having screened for critics to a good reaction. Amongst those giving interviews are director Peyton Reed, who has once again expressed interest in helming a “Fantastic Four” movie should it ever happen again, and the legend that is Michael Douglas. Douglas plays Hank […]

Michael Douglas says he wants to make an Ant-Man prequel film using the de-aging visual tech.

With the publicity train for “Ant-Man and the Wasp” now well underway, comments from Marvel Studios chief Kevin Feige have started to crop up and here’s a collection of everything we’ve learned from them about the company’s plans for 2019 and beyond. Speaking with ComicBook.com, Feige was asked when we’ll hear about Marvel’s Phase 4 […]

Whilst Feige says they're planning on how to announce the Phase 4 movies and still plan to be less guarded about future films once the title for Avengers 4 has been announced late this year. He also says two LGBTQ+ characters are coming to the MCU, one is already in it the other will be brand new.

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
            two LGBTQ+ characters are coming to the MCU, one is already in it the other will be brand new.
            Can one of them be Spider-man?

I have nothing against him being LGBTQIA+ but rather I just know that announcing that would be like setting the internet on fire and it'll be an interesting day on Reddit.

Comment

I don't feel I know enough about the existing characters to guess which one it would be. I could imagine them trying it with Black Widow but it'd go down like a lead balloon.

It's always a difficult one to do as it is, there's nothing more eye rolling than when a character essentially announces they're sexuality in a film. It's like the film makers feel that if they don't explicitly have the character state it then the audience won't get it. A couple of 'I'm interested' glances work much better but it's amazing how often films take a heavy handed approach.

Comment

I think this happens because their default is to take a no handed approach. They are so nervous about it that they can't just make a character gay in the same way that Tony Stark is straight. They will get one little scene where they make it clear and then invariably cut it because someone gets the jitters. If anything, they need to go all out and chuck some characters in who are as relentlessly gay as Stark is straight.

Also, I could see it being Spider-Man. I don't think they'll do it for a second but if the current Marvel Peter Parker came out as gay, I'd nod and think "yeah, I can see that".

Comment

If it's handled subtly, it'll be fine and flesh out a character.
                  With so many fighting for screen time, you've got to take these snippets where you can.
                  Tony wants a baby, Banner and Widow were a couple and so on.
                  I love the line where Captain America says “There’s only one God, ma’am, and I’m pretty sure he doesn’t dress like that.”
                  Just a throwaway joke but gives him some depth.

The thing is, you've got to be cautious, because if it's incongruous to the scene, it'll stick out like a sore thumb like in Blade III:
                  Blade: "What's she doing?"
                  Ryan Reynolds: "She's making a iTunes playlist. She likes listening to MP3's on her Apple® iPodwhen she hunts"
                  Close up of Jessica Biel making a playlist in iTunes, and then puts on her iPod.

Comment

I can imagine Spider-Man won't go down this route just out of sheer fear of making such a move and how fans would respond. They back peddled pretty quickly over their attempt to pass off Michelle in Homecoming as the new MJ so I imagine they'll aim to introduce it in a subtler manner. I think, without a direction change, most of the existing characters are broadly covered so Black Panthers cast seems the easiest choice to go from as so little is defined there yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
                      It's always a difficult one to do as it is, there's nothing more eye rolling than when a character essentially announces they're sexuality in a film. It's like the film makers feel that if they don't explicitly have the character state it then the audience won't get it. A couple of 'I'm interested' glances work much better but it's amazing how often films take a heavy handed approach.
                      Yeah, they need to be careful to avoid tokenism - a bit like the backlash over Harry Potter recently, how Rowling used to say Dumbledore was gay, but now the young version of the character is appearing in movies they've said they're not going to address it. It smacks of saying it to cynically try and sell books/movies to the LGBT+ demographic.

I always liked the way Ghost in the Shell: Stand-Alone Complex did it with the character of Major Kusanagi. Kusanagi's sexuality in the comics is complex, but the series didn't seem to address it at first. There was a joke she made in an early episode about how if a stake-out didn't pan out, the team would go get drunk in a strip club, but that was just banter.

Then in season 2, there's a scene where one of the characters calls her via the phone late at night. When it rings, she's in bed, and you get a moment onscreen it's evident she's in bed with two women (one of whom was a nurse who made a brief appearance in a prior episode). She gets up to answer the phone, and that's it; that's all you ever see.

But it's enough, you know? Like for the other characters, like Batou, Saito, you don't see them plough a woman to remind us of how straight they are. There doesn't need to be any more, because it's not relevant to who the character is (at least in that series).

EDIT: Also gonna call it. I'm willing to bet either The Scarlet Witch is bi, or they're going to make a thing out of someone like Bucky Barnes being asexual.
                      Last edited by Asura; 26-06-2018, 11:35.

Comment

Love everything you've said there.

I want the gay character to be tastelessly non-pc and really, really camp like Big Gay Al.

"Wow! You're the Fantastic Four! You must be Mister Fantastic!"
                        "Fantastic? Darling, I'm faaaaaabulous!"

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                          But it's enough, you know? Like for the other characters, like Batou, Saito, you don't see them plough a woman to remind us of how straight they are. There doesn't need to be any more, because it's not relevant to who the character is (at least in that series).
                          In the Marvel movies, we do have some quite clear hetero relationship moments that just haven't been represented any other way and they're integrated really nicely into the movies without beating us over the head with it or feeling awkward. Like I say, Tony Stark is relentlessly hetero. We were introduced to Bucky with a date (woman). Captain America almost had two women on the go in the first Cap movie. We have Wanda and Vision. Black Panther and the character whose name I have forgotten but I think she was his ex. Hulk had a girlfriend. Starlord and Gamora. And many more.

I don't think any gay relationship needs to be any more subtle than any of these. And if they did any of these with same sex relationships, I'm also willing to bet people would call it too much or say they are beating us over the head with it or whatever but it would simply be like for like.

Comment

The only example I can think of is Deadpool 2, with Negasonic's girlfriend, and the nice thing there is the first film didn't reference her sexuality that I know of and in the sequel when she has one the running joke for that character doesn't have anything to do with highlighting the relationship

Comment

Why does there have to be a gay? I see very few gay people in real life (that I know of). The few that I do, I only do because I know. If I didn't, I wouldn't know. They don't make a song and dance about it like in films.

Comment

Why does there have to be a straight?

Comment

Working...
                                X