No announcement yet.

The Marvel Cinematic Multiverse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On a story level, I think the fact that Black Widow is just a pretty typical secret agent with no powers will make it a much tougher sell. I'd have the same issues with a Nick Fury movie. In a universe of cool superheroes, Fury and Black Widow have little to offer.

Comment

Yup, like DC is doing with their raft full of female led upcoming films, I imagine the MCU will find a lot of success with female led films but the stand outs will probably come from the introduction of new characters in coming years. A Widow movie, especially given the existing canon and if its a prequel is a bit too easy to get into Agents of Shield territory

Not that it won't do well, just I imagine more Ant-Man/Doctor Strange levels of well

Comment

It's a personal thing but I have a much harder time caring about prequels too. Captain Marvel is a bit different because we haven't seen her so, in effect, it's not a prequel - it's still her very first film (like the first Cap film wasn't a prequel even though set before the others). But a prequel to any existing character is a harder sell for me because I feel like that part of the story has already been made redundant.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
          I have no problem with a huge push in that direction and making a big deal of it in PR and I would think little of those who will.
          It's emblematic of how big things like movie culture is multi-faceted. Like among the people making something like Ghostbusters, there were almost certainly a large number of earnest people who had good intentions, and a smaller number of cynical people who clearly saw it as a chance to "stir the pot" of society's ongoing discourse and make some money in the process. But in the end, you still get a movie which empowers the female cast and crew, so the net result is good.

Comment

I was with you but then I saw the words Ghostbusters and good in the same paragraph and my brain fused out...

Comment

There have been rumors regarding a direct sequel to “Doctor Strange” and now a new report in UK tabloid The Mirror indicates that the film’s star Benedict Cumberbatch looks set to get a big salary increase should it go forward. The outlet says Marvel Studios and Cumberbatch are in the middle of renegotiating his contract […]

Normally I'd not take any story coming from a british tabloid seriously when it comes to this stuff as the track record is appalling but The Mirror has reported that Benedict Cumberbatch is currently renegotiating his contract with Marvel to get a higher payout for making Doctor Strange 2. Normally wouldn't make sense but the speculation is that the film is being moved forward to film early next year to replace the likely delayed Guardians of the Galaxy Vol.3 which would make a renegotiation make sense and the film would also be one that could make sense and work well dealing with after effects of Avengers 4.

Comment

Does the release order need tweaking on the first post, @Superman Falls?
                Ant-Man and Wasp needs to be bold now it's released, chop chop!

Does Captain Marvel really come out one month before Infinity War Part 2?

I tell you what, that 5 second flash of her symbol in Infinity War is going to get a lot of people seeing her film, wanting to know how she fits into the bigger picture. I know I do!

Comment

Done!

Yep, they've got around 7 weeks to milk Cap Marvel (the US release of Avengers 4 is one week after us so 03 May there interestingly and annoyingly for them trying to avoid spoilers) then Spider-Man: Far From Home isn't that far behind either, after that it's the following year unless Sony throw something in last minute but given late 2020 houses Avatar 2 and Wonder Woman 1984 they probably don't mind a breather.

I'm interested in how they explain her absence, it certainly needs to not be done in a way that feels too similar to Captain America's storyline.

Comment

Hollywood Reporter is saying Guardians 3 is now on hold indefinitely.

Comment

I suppose one way around it could be just not to make it and instead burn off the contracts having the characters pop up in other movies

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                        Hollywood Reporter is saying Guardians 3 is now on hold indefinitely.
                        That sounds like a news outlet wanting some clicks. As if Disney will let one of its cash cows sit dormant for years.

I'm actually interested who they'll bring on board as director. They'll have a challenging time as the actors are used to Gunn's directorial style (then again, they've all worked with various directors so what I've just written probably won't be that much of a hurdle tbh).

Comment

Give it to Taika Waititi.

Comment

I would have thought the movie is worth too much not to make. I’d say who does it partly depends on how Gunn is feeling. It’s a close enough industry that I can imagine if Waititi was offered it, he’d look for Gunn’s blessing. And that assumes availability too.

Comment

Apparently Waititi has already been ruled out. Purely based on Ragnarok I don't mind, beyond space and jokes Thor 3 wasn't GOTG tier stuff.
                              Guardians 3 was supposed to end the run and lead into a new incarnation afterwards (as Marvel has yet to seem keen to go beyond trilogies) so it could be easier just to accelerate that plan

Comment

News just in:

Avengers 4 to be renamed GotG3 and only be about 20 minutes long.

Comment

Working...
                                X