No announcement yet.

The Marvel Cinematic Multiverse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

With the film on course to earn up to $180 million over the four day weekend, it’s understandable that Marvel Studios is riding high on “Black Panther” right now and so expect news of a sequel to it sooner rather than later. In fact in a recent interview with Variety, Marvel Studios’ Kevin Feige said […]

Feige wants Coogler back for Black Panther 2

Comment

I'll post a fuller post later but I watched Black Panther today. The film was good on several levels, certainly felt like more thought had gone into it than some of the recent entries. There are several interesting points to it and it stands as an interesting standalone movie. However, one of the key points of the view is certainly its use of African heritage elements and how that also ties into its story. Put that oen aspect aside and you very quickly are left with a very flawed and generic film but it's elevated by the interest its setting and characters generate. Any sequel needs to expand in a similar way Winter Soldier did to First Avenger. This isn't top tier MCU but it is still pretty damn good.

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
        Sony isn't wasting time either having released the first post for Venom

The first trailer is expected to hit sometime today
        BOOBS!!!

Comment

I can't unsee that sexy white bikini!

Comment

To be honest my first post on Black Panther probably covers it enough. I quite like the cast (even if Era are once again massively overblowing Johnson's performance).

The big wins?

-No beam in the sky!
            -Solid action sequences
            -Fitting to the MCU yet still distinct visual style
            -Sets up a raft of likeable new characters quickly

What doesn't work?

-Under delivered villain who is set up strong but falls into the same MCU villain mould in the end
            -Incredibly poorly delivered sub-plot arm involving T'Challa's friend
            -Predictable plotting
            -Too little action

I could live without the Q-Lab moment too. I'm still not sure where I'd place this solely within the MCU, somewhere in the middle of the pack I'd guess. Certainly the current love fest surrounding the film is mostly due to other reasons than it's overall quality but as long as you don't get too caught up in the hype train and go in expecting a mind blowingly different kind of MCU experience, you'll do well with this.

Comment

I think you were referring to Michael B Jordan above but I agree. A very solid performance but not mind-blowing (I think some reviewers take anything that is above-average in a comic book film and treat it as legendary when it would be just good in any other genre).

Its not a bad first entry as far as standalone films are concerned. I appreciated that it gets the origins out of the way early on so we can concentrate on what's important; the characters, the overarching story and becoming more familiar with the country of Wakanda.

I'll be up for seeing more of T'Challa and his allies. Like has been mentioned above, hopefully they expand on it in the same way they did with Captain America to Winter Soldier (solid first film followed by a very strong sequel).
              Last edited by Paddy; 19-02-2018, 12:40.

Comment

Yep, I think his background is covered well in the film but the present day delivery is very one-note and they could have gone much further in representing a counter point to T'Challa. A sequel should really

base much of its time to showing the negative impact Wakanda would suffer from revealing itself to the world as well as massively fleshing out that subplot involving his friend (the guy from Get Out and The Fades). That development was incredibly poorly handled

Comment

Out doing the first press for her espionage drama “Red Sparrow,” actress Jennifer Lawrence seemingly revealed that she was going to take a break from acting after working effectively non-stop in her profession since her 2010 breakthrough “Winter’s Bone” with at least 2-3 films per year every year until last year. Speaking with Today she […]

Jennifer Lawrence may be taking a break from acting following a run of box office failures. In terms of the projects that she's loosely attached to yet aren't moving forward, none of them includes an X-Men film beyond the already filmed Dark Phoenix. Though not a guarantee, considering Fox's previous aggressive slate for the franchise, it's possibly another nudge that the current line is coming towards an end following the Disney buy out.

Comment

He made a brief appearance in “Captain America: Civil War” and has a key supporting role in current box-office champion “Black Panther”. But don’t expect that to be our last glimpse of Martin Freeman’s CIA character Everett Ross in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Speaking with Den of Geek this week, he confirmed he’ll be back […]

Martin Freeman's role as effectively the new Coulson continues with him seemingly set for several future films

Comment

Marvel should just let him use his own accent and drop the American accent.

Comment

Saw Black Panther today and loved it. The world was superb and it had so many characters I loved really quickly, with Shuri stealing the show. She was so much fun and I want to see her in more Marvel movies. I liked that it was entertaining without going comedy like some of the more recent Marvel movies - I prefer that we have a mix of tones, even if they never really go po faced (a good thing in my view). Easily the Marvel standout when it comes to soundtracks (very few Marvel soundtracks make an impact) and the unique point of view made it feel different even with so many similarities to other Marvel movies.

Loved the Korea sequence in particular. That was superb.

Some hit and miss effects and I could criticise a main element of the last part of the movie for doing the same thing they almost always seem to do but my main criticism would be that I found almost every other character more interesting than Black Panther. In a way that comes from a place of positivity - it’s not so much that he was weak but that so many other characters were really engaging - but he also seemed to lack much of an internal struggle that could have given him more progression.

But really, I loved it. Will definitely pick up the blu-ray and give it another watch.

Comment

Interesting that you say that. I found Black Panther to be the most engaging character in Civil War. I haven’t seen this yet but I’m very much looking forward to it.

Comment

http://www.darkhorizons.com/x-force-...filming-dates/

Word is that X-Force will begin filming this October, building on character introductions that occur within Deadpool 2. If it does it will be the only new X-Men movie to enter formal making since the Disney/Fox deal, possibly due to Disney already confirming Reynolds will be folded in to the MCU and therefore presumably each of the characters movies too.

Also, very early pre-production has started of Guardians of the Galaxy Vol.3

Comment

The second of Sony Pictures’ “Spider-Man” spin-offs, “Silver and Black,” has reportedly been delayed indefinitely reports That Hashtag Show. The original schedule had the movie to begin filming at the beginning of March in Atlanta, taking over from where the first “Spider-Man” spin-off film “Venom” recently wrapped production. Still, the holding pattern isn’t a surprise […]

Sony's second Spider-Man spin-off Silver and Black has been delayed indefinitely at the last minute. It remains in development but is now pretty much TBC

Comment

“Humans” and “Transformers: The Last Knight” star Gemma Chan will star as an alien villain in the “Captain Marvel” film at Marvel Studios and Disney Pictures. Brie Larson stars in the 1990s-set tale as Carol Danvers, an Air Force pilot whose DNA fuses with that of an alien which sends her headlong into an intergalactic […]

Gemma Chan has joined Captain Marvel as one of the villain characters

Comment

Working...
                                X