No announcement yet.

The Marvel Cinematic Multiverse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Marvel’s “Agents of SHIELD” showrunners Jed Whedon and Maurisa Tancharoen have revealed that they have designed the upcoming fifth season finale episode of their ABC series as a potential series finale. Talking with TV Line, Whedon and Tancharoen sat they’re in the process of writing the episode right now and that they’re ready to continue […]

Amidst shrinking viewers, the showrunners for Agents of Shield have stated that this season finale has been written as a show closer with a couple of backdoors in case a sixth season gets picked up

Comment

Though the common belief has been that the merger of Disney and 20th Century Fox means the latter has slowed down the development of their “X-Men” films, Heat Vision has a new report that indicates the opposite is true. In fact, Fox is now reportedly developing more Marvel-related projects now than they ever have in […]

A new report says that in addition to the already filmed or upcoming X-Men movies:

-Deadpool 2
      -X Men: Dark Phoenix
      -The New Mutants
      -Gambit
      -X Force
      and likely Deadpool 3

Fox are also developing:

-Silver Surfer
      -Doctor Doom
      -Kitty Pride

The report comes amidst rumours of Fox slowing down on X-Men films given the Disney deal and Marvels suggested intention on folding them into the MCU. However, given the deal has a little over a year to go through or collapse it's only natural these would be developing as normal. Whether they make it to screen is the question.

Comment

Edited the OP to separate the confirmed films from the in development ones

It was never expected to meet its November 2018 release date, and now Disney Pictures has pushed back its live-action adaptation of “Mulan” by a year-and-a-half. It will now open March 27th 2020. Niki Caro helms this take on their classic 1998 animated musical hit which itself is based on the famous Chinese legend. The […]

Disney yesterday announced the release dates for several new MCU movies leading all the way until mid-2022 which sounds obscene and yet is only 4 years away.

27 - Unannounced Marvel Movie (31 July 2020)
        27 - Unannounced Marvel Movie (07 May 2021)
        28 - Unannounced Marvel Movie (30 July 2021)
        29 - Unannounced Marvel Movie (05 November 2021)
        30 - Unannounced Marvel Movie (18 February 2022)
        31 - Unannounced Marvel Movie (06 May 2022)
        32 - Unannounced Marvel Movie (29 July 2022)

The schedule has raised questions about the sometimes long gaps left in releases against quite tight cramped windows yet these dates seem to mirror the ones Marvel has performed well in and also have to be weighed against Disney's requirements to work around rival studios such as DC, their live action slate, the Star Wars franchise, Sony's MCU entries and the remaining output of Fox that they now have a vested interest in.

Of the slots lined up it's highly expected that Black Panther 2 will take one, possibly the Feb 2022 slot, and Guardians 3 will be an early taker also.

Comment

Thanks for updating the first post, Supes, it's a useful reference.

It's interesting that because even though we were saying in 2011 and 2013 things like:
          Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
          I have some definite superhero fatigue
          and
          Originally posted by Pikate View Post
          I'm starting to get a little fatigued with bombastic superhero movies
          these movies continue to outperform each other and earn nearly a billion dollars (DrEvil.gif) each.

Comment

My superhero fatigue is generally for the 'team' films. There isn't one I can say I really enjoyed. I remember posting my thoughts on Avengers Assemble when it first came out and people thought I was joking. I think it's massively overrated.

But the odd superhero gem can still come along. Spider-Man Homecoming was a hugely pleasant surprise last year. Since watched it on blu-ray and it's lost none of the magic.

Comment

I think my superhero fatigue has in part been alleviated by Marvel's rise to the top. I watch Marvel movies like they are the next episode in a TV show I like. But I cut most DC movies out of my life after Man of Steel (Wonder Woman was the only exception). I won't go to see an X-Men film in the cinema because they just aren't worth more than an eventual watch on telly. So for the most part, I'm only seeing the Marvel movies.

Comment

I'd say my stance with each CU is:

Marvel - It remains incredibly dependable and even the entries that I find to be the more bland like Strange, Homecoming etc are never poor. They rarely elevate to truly loving a single entry though.

DC - Fascinating, I'm genuinely enthused to see each new release even though I'd never say they truly succeed. I still don't think any of them are awful films, they're certainly misguided in inception though. Much more interesting a project than Marvel's, just not as high a quality in end product.

X Men - To be honest, after Logan, it just feels done. If Marvel do roll the Deadpool entries into the MCU canon I wouldn't have any problem with them being rebooted and none of the other upcoming films look interesting.

Comment

Oh I had forgotten about Logan. I did actually see that in the cinema but that's because it looked very different. And it was. Yeah, I would like to see X-men completely wiped clean with a fresh start in the MCU in a few years.

Comment

For no reason, or I guess because it will all be leading to Infinity War, here is my current ranking of MCU films:

1) Guardians of the Galaxy
                    2) Spider-Man Homecoming
                    3) Captain America: The Winter Soldier
                    4) Black Panther
                    5) Iron Man 3
                    6) The Avengers
                    7) Thor: Ragnarok
                    8) Ant-Man
                    9) Iron Man
                    10) Captain America: The First Avenger
                    11) Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
                    12) Doctor Strange
                    13) Captain America: Civil War
                    14) Thor
                    15) Avengers: Age of Ultron
                    16) Thor: The Dark World
                    17) The Incredible Hulk
                    18) Iron Man 2

Some of that ranking was hard but the criteria was simply this: at any number, I could compare it to a different number with the question "do I prefer this movie or that?" and the answer gives the ranking. Do I prefer Ant-Man to Doctor Strange? Yep. But I prefer Doctor Strange to Thor. And so on. It's not a statement on any technical merits of a movie. Simply a preference.

Comment

1) Captain America: Winter Soldier
                      2) The Avengers
                      3) Iron Man
                      4) Captain America: Civil War
                      5) Ant-Man
                      6) Thor Ragnarok
                      7) Thor
                      8) Doctor Strange
                      9) Guardians of the Galaxy
                      10) Captain America: The First Avenger
                      11) Avengers: Age of Ultron
                      12) Guardians of the Galaxy 2
                      13) Iron Man 3
                      14) Spider-Man Homecoming
                      15) Iron Man 2
                      16) Thor The Dark World
                      17) The Incredible Hulk

I haven’t seen Black Panther yet.

Comment

Got to love the consistency of Captain America First Avenger and Thor Dark World. Number 10 and number 16 in 100% of the rankings found here.

Comment

Ha ha - unless I despise Black Panther, everything will be shifting down one place.

Guardians is a climber. I had it last at one point. That was until someone put a contract out on me.

Comment

First Avenger, underrated as always

Comment

01 - Guardians of the Galaxy
                              02 - Guardians of the Galaxy Vol.2
                              03 - Captain America: The Winter Soldier
                              04 - Captain America: The First Avenger
                              05 - Captain America: Civil War
                              06 - The Avengers
                              07 - Thor
                              08 - Black Panther
                              09 - Iron Man 3
                              10 - Ant Man
                              11 - Spider-Man: Homecoming
                              12 - Iron Man
                              13 - Doctor Strange
                              14 - Thor: Ragnarok
                              15 - The Avengers: Age of Ultron
                              16 - The Incredible Hulk
                              17 - Iron Man 2
                              18 - Thor: The Dark World

Whilst we're at it:

01 - Man of Steel
                              02 - Wonder Woman
                              03 - Suicide Squad
                              04 - Justice League
                              05 - Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

And whilst we're really stirring the pot, like for like sequential comparisons:

Entry 01 - Man of Steel > Iron Man
                              Entry 02 - Batman v Superman > Incredible Hulk
                              Entry 03 - Suicide Squad > Iron Man 2
                              Entry 04 - Wonder Woman > Thor
                              Entry 05 - Captain America First Avenger > Justice League

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                                Got to love the consistency of Captain America First Avenger and Thor Dark World. Number 10 and number 16 in 100% of the rankings found here.
                                It's interesting how time and subsequent films have affected these things.

For instance, way back when, I really liked X-Men 1&2. I also remember liking Transformers. And I loved The First Avenger.

However, when I think about this carefully, it's obvious to me the reason why. People today don't really appreciate it, but for these films, it was just a relief that they bore any relationship to the source material. Having grown up with videogames and such, and seeing how those were treated on the big screen, when Transformers was on the way, I honestly expected it to be a completely different narrative with only superficial similarities to the premise. While people were bitching online about how different it was to the cartoon, I was happy that it was so similar!

Even The First Avenger benefited from this effect, because I still think we were wondering if this new era of more faithful adaptations (at least in spirit) was going to be a blip. However by the time we got to the likes of Thor 2, any sense of that had worn off. Now we expect this as a minimum and we villify movies that veer from it (like Fant4stic).

Spiritual adherence to the source material is no longer a plus point now; it's just expected. I'm super-happy we got here, too.

Comment

Working...
                                X