No announcement yet.

The Star Wars Cinematic Universe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's Insurrection I'll never warm to. Never.

Comment

Insurrection is a very poor film, I'll give you that. Being honest, I'm not much of a fan of any of the Next Gen movies.

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
        It's Insurrection I'll never warm to. Never.
        Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
        Insurrection is a very poor film, I'll give you that. Being honest, I'm not much of a fan of any of the Next Gen movies.
        I actually like Insurrection

I mean, it's pretty camp in parts, but I like it because it's the closest the Next Gen movies ever got to making a film which is, at heart, a generic Star Trek episode.

There's an initial hook involving a key character. The crew visit a planet in a mysterious unexplored place. The crew beam down, get involved in an altercation with the locals, which they eventually resolve by sticking to their principles in the face of stuff that seeks to erode them. Everyone learns the true meaning of Christmas, the captain has a brief fling, and they beam back up and leave.

Plus it's basically Star Trek does The Seven Samurai.

I'm not saying this makes it amazing. I mean it's not like the "generic" Trek episodes are the best (for the record, as I've gotten older, I've come to think that the courtroom episodes tend to be the strongest!), but I this gives it a certain charm that appeals very strongly to me as a nostalgic fan.

Nemesis is the movie I won't forgive. It's the last Next Gen bit of content and it's among the worst places Trek ever went. It has very few redeeming features (the starship collision scene was the only part I liked).

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
          it's the closest the Next Gen movies ever got to making a film which is, at heart, a generic Star Trek episode.
          Yep, this is exactly why I don't like it! It just feels like a regular episode and we got seven seasons of those. One of the difficulties with the Next Gen movies is that they followed on from the TV show right away. The original crew benefited from a break - they came back looking different and feeling different and it was expected. That was too difficult for Next Gen where it would have felt wrong if there wasn't direct continuity but I feel all the Next Gen films suffered as a result. They don't feel like movies. And Insurrection is the most TV like of the bunch. But yeah, if that's what you were looking for I can see how it would be the one that delivered.

Comment

Nemesis I can cope with even though it's not great. Again the whole Kirk/Spock death scene copying thing falls flat but I like the opening jeep sequence and the ship collision is great. There's something mesmerising by watching Tom Hardy try to be Patrick Stewart.

First Contact was always the best NG entry, time has worn away at it though.

Comment

I can only imagine what new members will think of us when they click into the Star Wars thread and see this discussion...

Comment

Comment

Disney Channel has announced they have greenlit a second season of the animated series “Star Wars Resistance” which will debut in the Fall. In addition, they have also debuted the trailer for the midseason premiere coming this Sunday, January 13th which sees the incorporation of events of “Star Wars: The Force Awakens” a bit sooner […]

Star Wars: Resistance has been greenlit for Season 2

Comment

Famed C-3PO actor Anthony Daniels has finished his work on “Star Wars: Episode IX” and what is expected (but not confirmed) to be the final appearance of the gold droid character. Daniels has been in every single major installment of the franchise since the beginning. The J.J. Abrams-directed film has been in production since August, […]

Anthony Daniels has completed his last day of filming in the new trilogy. Not sure how big a deal that is given how throwaway C3-PO has been in the films since the original trilogy

Comment

Maybe the other actors just wanted him off the set as early as possible. I heard he's a real piece of work.

Comment

I've seen a couple of SW actors at conventions etc and never heard one have a good word to say

Comment

C-3po was in the new films? Huh, who knew.

Comment

Burned by the fizzle of “Solo: A Star Wars Story,” Lucasfilm and Disney’s focus on the “Star Wars” franchise beyond ‘Episode IX’ now seems to be channelled towards “The Mandalorian” and “Rogue One” spin-off TV series along with other projects for the soon to arrive Disney+ streaming service. At the same time further standalone films […]

The Obi Wan movie project is now being speculated as to having been reworked into a six episode event series for the Disney+ service

Comment

It would be nice if they could get ewan mcgregor back to play him. Wonder if he'd take a 'TV' role though?

Comment

He did Fargo but that probably has a lot more clout than a Star Wars show.

Comment

Working...
                                X