No announcement yet.

The Star Wars Cinematic Universe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

“Logan” helmer James Mangold is set to write and direct a standalone “Star Wars” movie centered on the bounty hunter character Boba Fett. “Dark Phoenix” director Simon Kinberg was previously rumored to be working on a Boba Fett movie and sources indicate he and Mangold will co-write the script with Kinberg also producing. The news […]

Logan director James Mangold has been set in place to both write and direct Boba Fett: A Star Wars Story

Comment

Seems to be some lack of attendance at Solo screenings being shown on Twitter...if you believe the internet...

Comment

I’m not even sure I can be arsed to see it, and that’s a first for a star wars film. Still feeling the hate for last Jedi mind you. We’ll go see dead pool tomorrow night instead.

Comment

1. A New Hope - love it to bits but I'll be honest I've absolutely no critical distance on it.
          2. Empire - technically better probably, but I don't love it in the same way.
          3. Force Awakens - a retread but a good one. Blew me away when I first saw it. So much feels.
          4. Jedi - some cool stuff in it but too many bloody Ewoks.
          5. Last Jedi - underwhelming. Some nice stuff in it but spoilt but by the awful opening and other silliness throughout like Mary Poppins. Prob about equivalent with Jedi though on the whole, it's a very mixed bag like that film was.
          6. Return of the Sith - bleh
          7. Phantom Menace - oh god where to begin
          8. Clone Wars - kiiiiiiillllll meeeeeeeeeeeee

Comment

Originally posted by kryss View Post
            Seems to be some lack of attendance at Solo screenings being shown on Twitter...if you believe the internet...
            It's out?! I honestly hadn't noticed.

Comment

Yep, that’s what I was saying - it seems like a really low key release from a marketing perspective. In some way, that has to be deliberate. I wonder if their confidence in this particular movie is low? I was never on board conceptually for this one so that will definitely colour my view but, from what I’ve seen, it feels more like if they put Rebels on the big screen rather than it being a proper Star Wars movie. A lower tier spin off, something Rogue One somehow avoided.

Comment

Brother-in-law wants to see both this and Deadpool 2 and gets cheap tickets from his work.

I've said I'll see both but I'm secretly hoping he'll get tickets for DP2.

Comment

I went and saw it tonight in Birmingham and was suprised by just how few people were in the screening. Maybe 30 max?

Anyway, I actually thought it was pretty boring.

There was no peril as you know they get the ship, and you know at least 3 of the main characters will make it to the end.

I actually found the fact that the majority of the plot was directed entirely by 2 or 3 lines from the original trilogy that might have mentioned something Han had done prior to those films.
                  I'm not a Star Wars fan, but have somehow absorbed enough pointless information and the universe to have found the frequent unnaturally implemented references to canon irritating and distracting.

Even the choice of actors and voice actors was distracting, we are quickly reaching a point where any actor/actress in existence has either been in a Star Wars a Marvel Film or Game of Thrones.
                  Last edited by EvilBoris; 26-05-2018, 21:54.

Comment

I'll write up my thoughts on this (and the equally slightpy disappointing Deadpool 2) later but early three day figures is that Star Wars finally has its first box office dud on its hands. Coming in currently well below projections which presumably immediately kills Solo 2 and 3.

Comment

Went to the early morning (09:15) showing today. There were about a dozen people there, besides my family (early showing + bank holiday may be the reason for a low attendance).

Meh.

I enjoyed bits of it, but I found the humour forced, Lando’s robot annoying as hell (it’s as if they tried to piggyback on the star turn of K2S0), and the reveal at the end, which I will not spoil, poorly visualised.

Empire
                      Rogue One
                      The rest.
                      Last edited by Super Grover; 28-05-2018, 20:08. Reason: grammmarr

Comment

The hype is non existent for this one. I’ve not heard anyone IRL mention it at all, which is a first for a new Star Wars film.

To be honest, I can see why. I can’t even really be bothered to watch it myself. It sounds like they’ve based it all on throwaway lines Lucas bashed out like ‘it did the Kessel Run in less than 12 parsecs’. Fan service in other words, which, eh...pass.

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
                          The hype is non existent for this one. I’ve not heard anyone IRL mention it at all, which is a first for a new Star Wars film.
                          Yeah; if I'm to sum up my feelings having not seen it yet, my level is "if it's on Netflix eventually, I might watch it", which is one of the lowest rungs of possible levels of anticipation in my scale.

Comment

And Solo:

It's not a terrible film... but it is a slog. It's just a bit workmanlike which isn't helped at all by having such a miserable tone to it with lots of greys and browns. This darker aesthetic is something the franchise needs to get over quickly as it's hard on the eyes and this was massively the wrong film and character to take that approach with. The cast are mostly bland and forgettable, it's a little jarring throughout as to how weak a Han Solo this is. I don't think the actor is terrible, just miscast and it never shakes loose of that feeling. I've never particularly found the love people seem to have for Donald Glover, but I appreciated how much of an effort he makes in this to channel a young Billy Dee and it really shows Han up on how little effort to channel some Ford too there is. Emilia Clarke is the same bland characterless soul she is in everything and the film lacks a compelling point to it.

L3 is excruciating in every scene, Lucasfilm needs to get its habits out of it head and stop thinking every entry needs a novelty charactered robot in it. The film hits the marks it needs to, I mean it's not a franchise low, but there's little here to suggest much more thought went into it than 'fans like Han'. There was one, one surprise in the film and even that is killed once you read online how it fits in and that the joy there has already been undermined by the needless inclusion of the cartoons into the canon.

The only curiosity now is how the plot threads are handled given the proposed direct sequels are likely dead. So, passable but you exit the theatre with the distinct feeling that Disney needs to cancel the dozen or so films it has in development and shelve the franchise after Ep9. It doesn't work as a running concern and adding more filler content or planning to rely on it post Ep9 doesn't suit the series.

“Solo: A Star Wars Story,” a film that should’ve been a safe bet, is closing out the Memorial Day holiday weekend making headlines for the wrong reasons. The film is finishing up the four-day holiday weekend with an estimate of around $101 million domestically. Internationally it made $65 million as of the end of Sunday. […]

A Disney Exec has said they'll be working hard to understand why Solo has stumbled so hard

Comment

After a bit of a digest, my new SW list with Solo added is:

01 - Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens
                              02 - Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back
                              03 - Star Wars Episode VI: Return of the Jedi
                              04 - Rogue One: A Star Wars Story
                              05 - Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi
                              06 - Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope
                              07 - Solo: A Star Wars Story
                              08 - Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
                              09 - Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace
                              10 - Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones

Comment

Don’t suppose anyone on here is going to this and could help me out?

Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

Working...
                                X