No announcement yet.

The Star Wars Cinematic Universe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any news on when they're making "IG-88: A Star Wars Story"?

Comment

I finally got round to watching Last Jedi. That's a slog. It's on a par with the prequels. The plot is just rubbish. All the stuff with Finn has no rhyme or reason. Episode 9 is dead to me now.

Comment

Any news on when they're making "Crumb: A Star Wars Story"?

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
          Any news on when they're making "IG-88: A Star Wars Story"?

I would watch this

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
            I would watch this
            I was only half-joking.
            I'd be more intrigued by an unknown character than somebody as pivotal as Solo.

That's why Rogue worked so well as it was going on in the background of the main stories.

Comment

I'd mostly watch it because he looks like a wrong 'un

It's proving to be a proper oddity watching these SW films unfold. Though I didn't mind Last Jedi, the more time passes the more I think they were very misguided with it. The Episode VII-IX trilogy probably should have been all about nostalgic fan pleasing. Force Awakens broadly achieved this, Last Jedi could have really started to show Luke let rip and lead the Rebellion to make a comeback and then Ep9 go all out. You'd have a central Skywalker arc then to hang the spin-offs from which could do all the de-mystification stuff Last Jedi tried to do but instead it burnt up good will by trying to be clever and subversive. It boggles the mind that Marvel can pull off four shared universe films per year yet Star Wars can't managed two in six months, I'm really starting to think the films are the problem, not the market.

Kathleen Kennedy's pedigree is without question but, if the series continues to struggle, then Disney needs to think about keeping the head of Lucasfilm more detached from the head of Star Wars given how infamously involved she's been in the background changes on all these troubled entries.

Comment

She’s also been just as involved in the successes.

Comment

That's true, just that under her post-Lucas leadership the issues are clearly mounting and the series has had in a way two outright successes, only one of those didn't have background issues and was arguably something of a safe slam dunk anyway given the legacy of the series. Feige's success suggests that running a project such as a shared universe of films and running a studio are different skills (hence the failure of so many) and her legacy in filmmaking and her success with Lucasfilm doesn't necessarily translate to being well suited to Marvelling up the Star Wars franchise. If I was Disney I wouldn't be calling her head or anything but post-Solo I'd be watching the series very closely from here and be ready to put someone in place to specifically steward the franchise if the issues persist.

Comment

That’s not really giving enough credit for what she managed to pull off with The Force Awakens and Rogue One after years of people saying expectations were the problem and nobody could live up to them. Pleasing a fan base as difficult as Star Wars was nothing short of a miracle. And even then, there were vocal complaints about The Force Awakens and listening to those probably gave us The Last Jedi which as it happens was also a huge success. Feels like we have a fan issue more than a movie issue. Solo is the only money issue and that’s where it counts for Disney. As much as I was never on board conceptually for that movie, I have no idea what went on behind the scenes and so wouldn’t presume to be able to backseat drive it. Not sure Marvel is a correct comparison at all because the history and expectations are so different but it’s not like Feige hasn’t dropped directors either. Kennedy has pulled off incredible victories and made a massive amount of money so it feels weird to advocate keeping her away from Star Wars after earning that. And hopefully that sort of thing isn’t influenced by a fan base which overall contains a bunch of people who just like movies but the most vocal of which tend to be pretty toxic.

Comment

Comment

The fan flames swirling her already are way off the mark, I just question if her involvement in the series is more akin to the usual 'studio involvement' that has messed with many a struggling film than that of someone with a clear creative vision. From past interviews the likes of Spielberg etc have held where they mention her they've given the impression that she's quite the ball buster who has a strength in ensuring the director keeps on course during a production. The legacy of work she has behind her would suggest that's true but being the head of the Lucasfilm empire may simply mean she still has those firm filmmaking ideals but no longer has the day-to-day involvement to make it a practical approach. Clearly something is going wrong with the series fans aside as successive high profile fallouts and firings of directors, especially so late in production, is just bad practice. I'm more just saying that they may be reaching the point where they need more of a strong creative lead to oversee the franchise that currently seems to be struggling without either a focused direction, vision or consistent execution.

Comment

I’m just not seeing it. Not getting why you wouldn’t have said this about Feige when Edgar Wright was removed from Ant Man, given that is being held up as the way to do it right. In both cases, having a strong creative lead is exactly how these situations would arise and would be expected.

Edit: your first sentence rang alarm bells so I just went for a quick googling. Dude, you have to step away from the Reddits or 4chans or wherever this toxicity is breeding. This is exactly what I was referring to in the last post. Fans right now are the absolute worst and the more distance creators get from them now the better. The false entitlement, rage and worse needs to change. The idea that the lowest dregs of the Internet should call for her firing should not be given any more credence than those who wanted to boycott The Force Awakens or Rogue One because they had women in them. You’re feeding right into it, starting with saying it’s “way off the mark” and then repeating the same stuff. If you don’t like the films, go see something else.
                          Last edited by Dogg Thang; 04-06-2018, 13:14.

Comment

Ant-Man is an awkward comparison, that project was gestating with Edgar Wright because it predated the entire MCU. One of the reasons it struggled was the attempts to adapt it into the overall series that had overtaken it in the intervening years. Even then, he left before the film was retooled and entered production on a fraction of the scale of these Star Wars films. The Disney SW films have put out four films with an obvious decline in fortunes over a very short amount of time and there have been four high profile director disputes and firings at various stages of development, two of the four films facing those issues at immense cost incredibly close to completion. These things do happen but that's a worrying consistency in a short window. Like I say, I'd not bay for her blood or anything but I'd be watching closely given the way things are clearly starting to go, just as I would Feige if issues and box office decline set in. It's all business in the end.

Comment

Some nice new updates to the despecialized versions of ep 4, 5 and 6.

Fantastic work!

Comment

Have you got a link [MENTION=2697]dvdx2[/MENTION]? Probably being dumb but I can't find the updates on google.

Comment

Working...
                                X