The Star Wars Cinematic Universe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
    Considering how efficient the Disney, Pixar and Marvel arms are at achieving regular box office success and critical appeal without the drama there is definitely something not right in the Lucasfilm camp.
    I think Star Wars feels different though. I would argue that Star Wars is one of the movies which is emblematic of the entire medium of American film. It's up there with Ben Hur, Gone with the Wind, Casablanca, The Godfather, Metropolis, She Wore a Yellow Ribbon, Rebel Without a Cause, Planet of the Apes... It's not just another series or comic book adaptation.

Now of course, it really is just another movie. We all know that. However, part of me wonders if that's the issue Disney faces; Lucasfilm, with so much history for that franchise, must be like Lord of the Flies when it comes to deciding who makes those creative decisions.

Comment

Yep, I agree. Star Wars is a lot more loaded as a property. It has a much longer history with higher highs, lower lows and very loud and hard to please sections of fans. Considering that, I think they have done VERY well even if it meant a bucketload of people got fired along the way and stuff got difficult behind the scenes.

Comment

True, for all the criticisms Star Wars is drawing lately Ep7, Ep8 and Rogue One are all films I prefer to Ep1-3 so it could be worse

Comment

Well that's exactly it. It could be much worse. And there was this weird idea from some people back in the prequel days that nobody could ever live up to the originals and that's why people didn't like the prequels. Nope, they were just bad movies. And while almost all of us have our individual criticisms of the new movies, some more than others, on the whole they have gone down really well. They have been really fun watches and have each tried different things and have had a level of competency and polish that we want from a Star Wars movie. They'll never please everyone (no movie will) but, on the whole, Star Wars is in a good place.

Comment

New trailer for Solo:

Comment

I wonder if this going to turn out to be one of those films where the trailer hasn't convinced me but upon watching the film it turns out to be pretty alright.

Donald Glover and Woody Harrelson are on board so it should be at least alright. I'm hopeful for it being good though.
              Last edited by Paddy; 10-04-2018, 13:37.

Comment

Solo trailers look awful and brown and cringeworthy...yet I wanna see how it all births.

I did notice at least some sense of reckless abandon, the trait the 80s Solo manifested heavily.

I bet I hate it and its 150mins of brown and CGI and I'll eternally lament the £12 it cost me down The Light at Leeds.

Comment

Watching the trailers I'm so confused as to whether I want to see it. It smells funny, but should I taste it?!

Comment

A month out from the release of “Solo: A Star Wars Story” its young star, Alden Ehrenreich, spoke with Esquire extensively about the new spin-off film. Specifically, the actor cleared up rumors that have plagued production since the firing of original directors Phil Lord and Christopher Miller and their replacement by Ron Howard. The original […]

Ehrenreich has confirmed he's signed on for two more films after this one

Comment

Disney Channel and Lucasfilm have announced the start of production on the new animated adventure series “Star Wars Resistance”. Set in the time period just before the events of “Star Wars: The Force Awakens,” the story follows Kazuda Xiono, a young pilot recruited by the Resistance and tasked with a top-secret mission to spy on […]

Disney and Lucasfilm have announced production of a new Star Wars animated series called Star Wars: Resistance

Set just before The Force Awakens, the series follows a pilot hired to spy on the First Order. Poe, Phasma and BB-8 all appear on the show.

Comment

More and more it’s looking like J.J. Abrams’ “Star Wars: Episode IX” will be set a good amount of time after the events of “Star Wars: The Last Jedi”. In a recent interview with Yahoo! Finance, franchise star John Boyega said: “I can’t wait to start shooting the next and final leg of the franchise. […]

Star Wars: Episode IX will be set quite a while after Last Jedi

Comment

Two weeks out from the release of “Solo: A Star Wars Story” and some further information about the behind-the-scenes drama that hit the film’s production has come to light. One lingering question that has been around for several months now is just how much of original directors Phil Lord and Chris Miller’s film was left […]

Apparently Lord and Miller's version of Solo was geared to be more Guardians in style whereas the final Ron Howard version is in line with the other Star Wars movies. They were shown a near final cut of the Howard version and it's said to be around 70% his work rather than theirs so they opted not to contest being dropped from the films credits as they felt so little of it was their work in the end. The film saw its previews and early reactions yesterday which suggest it's first third is clunky but after that it finds its feet and is a solid entry.

Comment

With Star Wars: Episode IX bringing the announced slate of films to an end next year all eyes are on what's next

Rumour is that Obi-Wan: A Star Wars Story is already entering pre-production for a 2020 release. I'm happy if it doesn't happen though, there's nothing that interesting to cover for the character.

Comment

I feel McGregor didn't get his chance to shine as Obi-Wan and so a part of me wants him to get that chance but a larger part thinks that anything that validates the prequels can jump down a big dark hole.

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
                                it's first third is clunky but after that it finds its feet and is a solid entry.
                                I mean, many of us said the same thing about Rogue One.

Comment

Working...
                                X