Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yoshi's Crafted World looks so much like Wooly World. No bad thing.

Comment

Originally posted by hudson View Post
      Really looking forward to playing this with my kids too. I'm 50/50 on getting the Pokeball controller though...
      Yeah I'm looking forward to playing it with Chloe, she is so excited about it.

Pokeball controller does sound pretty cool but tbh if it wasn't coming with the console I'm not sure I'd bother with it...seems pricey for a little bit extra

Neil

Comment

I'd forgotten about Let's Go, feels a little like Nintendo has too given it's out in just 10 days time and they're still spending all their time talking up Smash instead

Comment

Even though I’ve had smash on pre order for ages , the amount of coverage it’s had I’m already kinda bored of hearing about it

Comment

While you’re all posting about Blizzcon, whatever that is, I took one for the team and bought GRID. You’re welcome. So if you have heard of it, you’ll know it’s roughly a Rollcage tribute. Now that I have it, however, I can say that it is EXACTLY a Rollcage tribute. You have a rolly car that can zip along at crazy speeds (though they start you slow at first) and you race around tracks and then get weapons. I haven’t played a huge amount yet but so far it is racing focussed which makes me very happy. Yes, it has combat but the balance is right, unlike the later Wipeouts. First and foremost, it’s a racer.

The handling is twitchy and light, which maybe Rollcage was too (can’t quite remember), but I expected things to feel a touch heavier. The handling works though. It feels pretty good and is definitely responsive. Tracks do the job. Not sure how many there are but so far they are rough and messy which contrasts nicely with the likes of F-Zero or some of the Wipeouts. There is almost a Pod Racer feel which works for me because we haven’t had a game like this in a while. At least, not one that I’ve played.

The music is drum and bass but, for some weird reason, the volume is barely audible by default. But you can go in and crank it right up and it suits. It’s retro at this point but totally works for this Rollcage tribute.

So it’s all pretty good. What it isn’t (yet) is special. The visuals are good, the handling is good, the tracks are good but no element stands out. However, I find it to be head and shoulders above Fast RMX, which I also got on Switch but disappointed me when the gulf between it and the games it was borrowing from became clear. Where Fast just wasn’t in the same league as similar racers, even if a decent game, GRIP is totally in the same league as the Rollcage games. Make of that what you will. I do feel with just a bit extra, a little more refined design maybe or something a little unique added, this could be special but, as it is, it’s just fine being this.

Comment

Nice impressions. Jibes with Oli Welsh’s review on Eurogamer, which is well worth a read. It sounds like it’s more of a cover act for fans of the original than a step forward - but sometimes that can be OK.

Not sure if I’ll pick it up. I did buy FAST on WiiU but didn’t play it much. Mechanically it seemed OK but it just didn’t hold my attention at all - a problem I often seem to have with racing games these days, so maybe part of that is me. Although at the same time I obsessed over MK8, 3 starred everything and got 10k online points, so I dunno.

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
                Nice impressions. Jibes with Oli Welsh’s review on Eurogamer, which is well worth a read. It sounds like it’s more of a cover act for fans of the original than a step forward - but sometimes that can be OK.

Not sure if I’ll pick it up. I did buy FAST on WiiU but didn’t play it much. Mechanically it seemed OK but it just didn’t hold my attention at all - a problem I often seem to have with racing games these days, so maybe part of that is me. Although at the same time I obsessed over MK8, 3 starred everything and got 10k online points, so I dunno.
                No, FAST was just not fast at all, or any good.

I've been playing BallisticNG which is basically a cover of Wipeout. PSX style graphics in 1440p and 144FPS. You can even download all the Wipeout ships. As soon as I started playing my muscle memory from WO3 kicked in. It's immense.

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
                  Yep, that review fits with my experience. I like it so far but I feel it had the potential to make more impact and it just doesn’t manage that. It scratches the very itch I hoped it would but I need to give it more time to see if it holds my attention at all or reveals more beneath the surface.

Comment

Is Grip digital only?

Comment

Originally posted by Marius View Post
                      Is Grip digital only?
                      Nope.

Comment

Cool. Getting that then.

Comment

A quick GRIP update. I really should make a first play. Anyway... some negatives. First, it has deathwatch modes which are part of the main progression. These are in arenas rather than tracks and I just find this sort of thing boring so it’s just a personal thing. So far they have been pretty easy. Mostly though, the main stuff is racing, which I like. But the glaring Switch negative is that one of these arenas the system is incapable of running. It does that trick where it reduces resolution on the fly (like Wipeout on the Vita) but, in this arena with the battling going on, it’s so low that it just looks ridiculous. Guessing it’s better on other systems but the devs should have just gone in with an axe and cut most of the details to get it to run rather than leaving it in like this. By the way, some of the race tracks suffer from this too but not to a terrible degree. With this one, I feel it shouldn’t have gone through in its current form.

But those aside, I’m liking this more and more. The physics likely don’t make a huge amount of sense (seemingly if you’re fast, gravity doesn’t count) but it works so well in the game once the speeds go up. The cars start to feel heavier and stickier and the stakes go up at the same time. The one thing that they seem to have somehow nailed is the balance between control and total chaos. At high speeds, you’re always at risk of hitting something at the wrong angle and going shooting into the sky. You might land facing forward and just keep going, you might land arseways and have to reverse to get out from where you are and, yet, it’s always fun rather than frustrating. A huge part of the draw is that knife edge during the racing and some of the crashes can be spectacular. I like it!

Comment

Just in time for Christmas, Gris launches on December 13th.
                            Switch/PC.

Just look at this!

Comment

oh man thats so pretty but booo at it been digital only. I'd gladly pay more to have these types of games as carts.

Comment

That looks gorgeous! I’ll definitely be getting that.

Comment

Working...
                                X