Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Portable Dark Souls is hugely appealing. Well up for that. Rest of the vid/news was pretty so-so ...

Comment

Originally posted by briareos_kerensky View Post
      I hope that Ys VIII will include the upcoming translation patch from the start, without having to download it as an update.
      The PC version will so I'm sure the Switch version will also

Comment

Originally posted by Nico87 View Post
        The PC version will so I'm sure the Switch version will also
        TBH it's NISA, so until I see it, I won't believe.

Comment

You guys all know you will buy DS on the Switch and your "home" console of choice. Don't kid yourselves

Comment

As someone on Twitter mentioned...

Comment

Nothing really in there for me but it's a decent chunk of games, if far too WiiU heavy. I have never played Dark Souls but the way people talk about it makes me think it's not something I'd love.

Comment

DT: if you like fun, you won't like Dark Souls.

Originally posted by briareos_kerensky View Post

is better...

Comment

Dark Souls isn't that hard.

Comment

Originally posted by kryss View Post
                    DT: if you like fun, you won't like Dark Souls.
                    Yeah, I quite like fun.

Comment

Where's my W101 re-release?

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                        Yeah, I quite like fun.

I'm not sure if you would like it Dogg, but I think you owe it to yourself to try it. I only played it for the first time last year with Dark Souls III on PS4, and I was absolutely blown away. It's one of the best crafted, most unique experiences in gaming, and fully worthy of the praised heaped on it.

It's not the easiest of games, but by creating basically the default character, you make things much easier on yourself - and you can always summon real-life friends and strangers as well as NPCs as temporary helpers too.

If nothing else, it's a lovely example of environmental storytelling. A haunting, lonely game where none of the exposition is explicit.

In the end, I got more out of DSIII last year than I did out of BOTW, and that was a real shock to me.

Comment

If I die more than three times in a row, I will throw the controller across the room, set fire to my console and never play games again. Do I still owe it to myself to try?

Comment

I’m fully expecting the New Mario U/Luigi U combo to get a Switch port, along with Cat Mario. Wouldn’t surprise me to see Yoshi, Captain Toad and a fixed version of Starfox too, at some point.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                              If I die more than three times in a row, I will throw the controller across the room, set fire to my console and never play games again. Do I still owe it to myself to try?
                              For one thing, death in Dark Souls isn't just a fail state, but a core part of the gameplay loop. It's one of its chief innovations.

What's interesting is how influential that innovation has been. It's one of those sea changes that's left an indelible mark on game design - like how Halo only let you carry 2 guns.

So for those reasons, as a game enthusiast, yes, I think you owe it to yourself to at least try it

EDIT: As a bonus third reason, it contains some of the most beautifully understated storytelling I've seen in a game.
                              Last edited by wakka; 11-01-2018, 17:36.

Comment

Didn't think it was all bad. Highlights included...

• Dragon Quest Builders on Switch! That's good for someone like me who hasn't already played it. Hope more PSVita titles make the jump.
                                • Hyrule Warriors on Switch - most would roll their eyes but this one has two-player splitscreen co-op, which was always my problem with the Warriors games that lack it - so I'll definitely get this. Only thing is it would've been nice if it was out now.
                                • Mario Tennis Aces looks good, considering I've not played any of these since the GC one. I can get why it might be underwhelming for people who had the 3DS or WiiU ones.
                                • Ys VIII - Never got into these. Interesting the trailer had a semi-naked character at the end; an attempt to grab headlines after Nintendo's censoring of the Xeno- series?
                                • It's right what [MENTION=15014]_SD_[/MENTION] says, SNK Heroines really does look like GalsFighters... Even down to the use of items and how content-wise, it cribs heavily from another game. Will need to see about that one; I'd have much preferred just KoF.
                                • Celeste has the visuals but it'll depend on gameplay and level design. The goodwill to SNES-style 16-bit titles has worn thin with me now; I love the art style, but it's no longer a novelty so I want something with gameplay that matches the quality of the visuals. Will wait for reviews.
                                • Donkey Kong something-or-other. I honestly want Nintendo to just drop that franchise.
                                • Dark Souls remastered; I mean, I'm interested to hear more, but what I want is a budget price to have it on another platform with working online functions. What FROM probably want is a chance to sell it for £50 again.

So a mix. There's at least a few titles there I'll be interested in once they're out, so it could've been much worse.

Comment

Working...
                                X