X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by briareos_kerensky View Post
    To be honest...
    Oh you'll get no disagreement from me. Bamco are a perplexing company at times. The Gundam example is a great one.

They release Gundam Crossfire in the west which was a dreadful game, but they did it because it was a PS3 launch title in what was an initially quite sparse release schedule. It did badly, because it was a bad game, but that somehow suggested that it wasn't worth them releasing Gundam titles in the west.

Then they don't release a bunch of the Gundam Vs games, when most people who've played them, Gundam fans or not, are saying they're among the best "import only" titles going, even for people who aren't Gundam fans. Bamco goes so far with ignoring this that they actually make a game which is practically a reskin of one of them with human characters. It's not very good. It fails. This somehow supports their initial assertion?

So years go by and they think of having another crack at the whip. They choose Gundam Extreme Vs Force, possibly the lowest rated of the franchise and on the PS-freaking-Vita.

Thank **** they released Gundam Versus and it seems to have done reasonably well judging by what I see online, otherwise we'd get another drought.

Comment

I've never really understood how Bandai manages Gundam in the west in all its incarnations: videogames, animes, mangas, novels, toys, models.
      Why oh why they won't release BluRays or reprints of DVDs of all Gundam series in the west, considering they have everything ready from their Japanese releases? Most series have been already dubbed and we're not talking about S-Strain or Kuromukuro, it's Gundam, people are going to buy it.
      They are reaching Harmony Gold levels when it comes to Gundam animes.

Comment

Originally posted by briareos_kerensky View Post
        I've never really understood how Bandai manages Gundam in the west in all its incarnations: videogames, animes, mangas, novels, toys, models.
        Why oh why they won't release BluRays or reprints of DVDs of all Gundam series in the west, considering they have everything ready from their Japanese releases? Most series have been already dubbed and we're not talking about S-Strain or Kuromukuro, it's Gundam, people are going to buy it.
        They are reaching Harmony Gold levels when it comes to Gundam animes.
        They are gradually doing it. We've recently had quite a few releases of Gundam animes in the UK at least, via AllTheAnime. I think they've even done Zeta and ZZ.

I think Bandai's issues stem from them being a company which is both mass-market and niche at the same time. Some of their products have been enormous, global phenomenons and some are just little things that pootle along.

With Gundam, I think they're nervous about their strategy because Gundam Wing was a huge success in the USA. It made a huge amount of money, but they weren't able to keep that success going after the show ended; I think the problem was that Wing is a spinoff that they presented a a definitive work, so when it ended and they televised the UC shows, audiences didn't respond as well to them. Like all big companies, they don't want to make money; they want to make all the money. It's like a zero-sum game. They probably view Gundam in this manner; it was huge, now it isn't, and they don't want to sustain a middling level of success. They would rather it "goes away" so that in 2025 they could "bring it back" and try to have the next USA Gundam Wing.

The Macross thing with Harmony Gold is similar, but even more confusing. I think there are people involved in that who have some kind of personal vendetta, and they won't sell the brand until some of those people literally die.

Comment

Singapore has the Jap release and I believe it’s getting a language patch. Just import that online. Digital in the West makes sense.

Comment

[MENTION=16665]Blobcat[/MENTION] - Nintendo Switch version!
            Buy BlobCat and shop other great Nintendo products online at the official My Nintendo Store Canada.

Sounds like a Chu-chu Rocket clone.

Comment

Why hasn't Chu Chu been ported more? I loved it on the DC - ace puzzle game.

Comment

I played the GBA version, that was ace. The mobile version not so much if I remember.

Comment

In other Bandai Namco news, the open beta of the upcoming Switch port of Dragonball Fighter Z is now available to download. The live gameplay test sessions for it will run on the following dates/times:

PDT: 9th August, 9pm - 12th August, 12am
                  EDT: 10th August, 12am - 12th August, 3am
                  BST: 10th August, 5am - 12th August, 8am
                  CEST: 10th August, 6am - 12th August, 9am

Comment

Psikyo Collection Vol. 1 (Multi-Language) for Nintendo SwitchPsikyo Collection Vol. 1 is heading to Nintendo Switch, squeezing four currently available eShop titles into one juicy bundle.The four titles included are Strikers 1945, SOL Divide, Samurai Aces, and Gunbird, all of which are classic, arcade-style scrolling shooters. All four games were originally released in the '90s, each with their own slight twists and different sets of playable characters. While this collection seems to be pretty bare-bones and "limited", it's always nice to have a physical release of eShop-only games. especially if they are arcade classics.

Must admit I’m disappointed there’s no PS4 version.

Comment

DotEmu's 2017 PS4/PS Vita remaster of Windjammers is coming to the Switch eShop later this year. I wonder if Limited Run Games will commission a physical version of this like they did for the Sony machines?

Comment

Oh that's absolutely fantastic news

Comment

There will be a Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Direct livestream broadcast this Wednesday, hosted by Sakurai-san himself.

8th August 7AM PT / 10AM ET / 4PM CEST / 3PM BST

Comment

Is there anything we don't already know?

Comment

Nintendo would appear to think there is.

Comment

Originally posted by _SD_ View Post

Psikyo Collection Vol. 1 (Multi-Language) for Nintendo SwitchPsikyo Collection Vol. 1 is heading to Nintendo Switch, squeezing four currently available eShop titles into one juicy bundle.The four titles included are Strikers 1945, SOL Divide, Samurai Aces, and Gunbird, all of which are classic, arcade-style scrolling shooters. All four games were originally released in the '90s, each with their own slight twists and different sets of playable characters. While this collection seems to be pretty bare-bones and "limited", it's always nice to have a physical release of eShop-only games. especially if they are arcade classics.

Must admit I’m disappointed there’s no PS4 version.
                                That's going to be ace with the Flip Grip!

Comment

Working...
                                X