Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The key to a modern F-Zero would probably be online gaming. Players co-existing in city hubs themed on each track aesthetic, with player personalised racers and vehicles, tracks that use freefall sections and underground/water elements - kind of cribbing off their success on Splatoon and applying various elements that flesh out F-Zero's sense of place and world building but in a light way that encourages returned play.

The existence of Mario Kart shouldn't negate F-Zero anymore than Forza Motorsport negating the need for Horizon to exist.

Comment

Are there any Mega Drive compilations for the Switch?

Are the Labo kits any good for a 7-year-old?

Does the Nintendo e-Shop ever have sales or is it forever expensive?

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
        It does, but the games (so far at least) never become "cheap". Like when ARMS is on offer, Nintendo tend to knock 30% off - but they're knocking 30% off a £49.99 game, so it becomes ~£35 (may not be the exact numbers).

Third-party titles do, sometimes, become very cheap though. It's a bit of a lottery.

The console hasn't really been out long enough to set a precedent for this kinda stuff though.

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
          The key to a modern F-Zero would probably be online gaming. Players co-existing in city hubs themed on each track aesthetic, with player personalised racers and vehicles, tracks that use freefall sections and underground/water elements - kind of cribbing off their success on Splatoon and applying various elements that flesh out F-Zero's sense of place and world building but in a light way that encourages returned play.

The existence of Mario Kart shouldn't negate F-Zero anymore than Forza Motorsport negating the need for Horizon to exist.
          Ha. THATS never going to happen, Nintendo would need to spend actual money on development on something.

Nintendo considers us luck boys & girls for even getting an fzero kart & track in MK8.

Comment

Too true, and to think they could have tried it if they hadn't spent all the money on so many pointless Star Fox reinventions

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post

This is a beautiful dream, it really is. I too can imagine Phantasy Star style hubs with bars and streets (like those in the GX FMVs) all utterly bustling with racers exchanging emotes and pre-determined text strings in between queuing up for races. There could even be a spectator mode like Mario Kart TV which can be watched from outside of the game. The fact is that anything like this would be a ghost town from day one. It's almost impossible to find ranked matches on ARMS, and that only requires one other person to make a match - a game which has sold approaching three million copies.

All this is before they start charging for online, which will no doubt cannibalise roughly a fifth to one quarter of the current user base.

F-Zero GX is one of my top ten games of all time - however it's almost verging on delusional to expect another one right now. At best they could probably knock something together for the 3DS in order to try and gauge interest, however they either can't even be bothered doing that or don't think it's worth the investment... Or my estimation: They simply can't make an F-Zero game which is clearly a generational leap beyond F-Zero GX. For that we'd need VR and/or displays which are pumping out more hertz than 60.

They're not alone. Namco and EA have also given up with their arcade racers. The reason being they simply don't sell enough numbers, nor do they set the world alight.

Comment

Well, ordered the Pikachu/Eevee Switch console. Just in time for Smash too...

Third time's the charm, right?

Comment

With Nintendo Switch Online, you can enjoy a wide selection of classic NES games such as Super Mario Bros.™, Metroid™, and Donkey Kong on your Nintendo Switch system.

List of NES games for launch, as well as upcoming releases.

Who fancies River City Ransom co-op?

Comment

I think these offerings explain why Nintendo wanted to crack down on the ROM sites.

Comment

Are there any Mega Drive compilations for the Switch?
                      Hey, QC! There wasn't but check this: http://www.nintendolife.com/news/201...usive_features

A lot of games in there although mostly the usuals (does anyone really like the Vectorman games?). Some greats though. Sonic 3 is a weird absence but that was also missing from previous collections. Ecco is missing which is a game crime. I played through those on the PSP collection.

Are the Labo kits any good for a 7-year-old?
                      Not sure. Looks like you might need to help but they definitely look like a load of fun for that age group.

There always seem to be sales but much of it is the dregs of the store. However, a lot of big games have already had sales. Don't expect Steam/PSN type drops but definitely worth keeping an eye out each week on what is on sale.

Comment

Battery is utter crap on the switch, how can i completely turn the unit off? i'm sick of the battery constantly draining when i'm not playing.

Comment

Hold in power button for several seconds, an option will appear to turn off.

Comment

Originally posted by fishbowlhead View Post
                            Battery is utter crap on the switch, how can i completely turn the unit off? i'm sick of the battery constantly draining when i'm not playing.
                            Yep, as importaku says, hold down the button. Are you not docking it while not playing?

Comment

I bloody hope he's playing Mario docked! What a waste, if not. I mean, you're not missing much other than it looking absolutely spectacular on a big screen.

It might just be me, this... But do some games look scaled back in handheld mode? I don't just mean in terms of the 720p resolution, but also in the effects/details department. Have DF anything to say in this regard?

Comment

Originally posted by dataDave View Post
                                I bloody hope he's playing Mario docked! What a waste, if not. I mean, you're not missing much other than it looking absolutely spectacular on a big screen.

It might just be me, this... But do some games look scaled back in handheld mode? I don't just mean in terms of the 720p resolution, but also in the effects/details department. Have DF anything to say in this regard?
                                Yes, some games are. DF have shown it in their videos, but the most obvious change is (like you say) resolution and sometimes framerate.

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                                Hey, QC! There wasn't but check this: http://www.nintendolife.com/news/201...usive_features

A lot of games in there although mostly the usuals (does anyone really like the Vectorman games?). Some greats though. Sonic 3 is a weird absence but that was also missing from previous collections. Ecco is missing which is a game crime. I played through those on the PSP collection.
                                Interested to hear more about that. Apparently the recent release on PS4 was botched and is dreadful. It's weird because I have the Steam version, and there are actually two totally different versions - you get a choice when you boot it up. One is the "normal" one with a menu, while the other supports VR and has a kind of 3D 90s-bedroom in which you play the games on a virtual CRT screen... But the quality is really bad.

Comment

Working...
                                X