Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

had a pop at the monster hunter demo, seems i bit of rip off for full price, not a fan of zone loading, don't like the super arts crap and having them all slapped on to the d-pad to activite, and biggest crime of all it running a "stable" 30fps with ps2 level graphics which drop frames like heck on bit monster attacks.

Comment

Originally posted by Tobal View Post
      had a pop at the monster hunter demo, seems i bit of rip off for full price, not a fan of zone loading, don't like the super arts crap and having them all slapped on to the d-pad to activite, and biggest crime of all it running a "stable" 30fps with ps2 level graphics which drop frames like heck on bit monster attacks.
      It's a huge step back in places from MHW. They should have released it in English the same time as the Japanese release last August.

However, expect the different "styles" to be in the follow up to World.

Comment

Originally posted by danstan21 View Post

Dripfeeding ~30 year old NES games and holding backup saves hostage sure aren't going to get me to bite either.
        The most depressing thing about this sh1thouse tactic is that so many Nintendo apologists will blindly defend this and make countless excuses for it instead of calling Nintendo out and pushing back to force them to change this absurdity (ie. making manual save data back-up to the Micro SD Card the thing it should clearly have been from the off).

Comment

In an ideal world they'd patch the Japanese version of XX to include the new English localisation, but, well, this isn't an ideal world. I'll be passing as I don't need two copies of it for me to not play when I'm still utterly hooked on World.

However, Dead Cells turned up today and I'm thinking about getting it going for the commute.

Comment

Originally posted by Nu-Eclipse View Post
            The most depressing thing about this sh1thouse tactic is that so many Nintendo apologists will blindly defend this and make countless excuses for it instead of calling Nintendo out and pushing back to force them to change this absurdity (ie. making manual save data back-up to the Micro SD Card the thing it should clearly have been from the off).
            Yeah, it's a stupid thing; just as bad as when Sony held auto-updating as a PSPlus feature on PS3. It's unacceptable for manufacturers to do this sort of thing.

Then again all three companies are charging without really committing to dedicated servers (Microsoft have some support but it isn't widespread as far as I'm aware); I mean Live on 360 got away with it for the whole life of the machine.

Like if Nintendo were providing dedicated server support for Splatoon 2 and ARMS I would honestly think about it, just because the service is very cheap, but as it is, I'm not paying for something I've had years of for free!

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
              Yeah, it's a stupid thing; just as bad as when Sony held auto-updating as a PSPlus feature on PS3. It's unacceptable for manufacturers to do this sort of thing.

Then again all three companies are charging without really committing to dedicated servers (Microsoft have some support but it isn't widespread as far as I'm aware); I mean Live on 360 got away with it for the whole life of the machine.

Like if Nintendo were providing dedicated server support for Splatoon 2 and ARMS I would honestly think about it, just because the service is very cheap, but as it is, I'm not paying for something I've had years of for free!
              The only thing Nintendo are encouraging is the downloading of ROMS so people can actually play some retro, without fear of Nintendo pulling the it plug and deciding you should buy it all over for its next console, don’t forget to thank them while your at it.

As for their online offering they are literally putting it behind a pay wall what is currently free. Which they deserve to receive a huge amount of backlash for.

Because, Nintendo.
              Last edited by fishbowlhead; 17-08-2018, 14:12.

Comment

Mid-September - Switch Online Service goes Live
                Mid-October - Masses of Switch owners hack their units after realising they're paying for nothing of value

It'll be a successful failure. They'll always refer to it as a success because you're paying for mostly nothing so it's very easy for them to make money they aren't already with a relatively small amount of users buying into it but it'll also be a failure because I'd be amazed if they get anywhere near XBL/PSN ratio of subscribers anytime soon and with it existing as it will.

Comment

That doesn't change the fact that you can still manually save your backup data on XBOX One and PS4 when you cannot do so on the Switch.

It certainly doesn't change the fact that Nintendo have recently had the audacity to state that their cloud-saving function won't be compatible with all games on Switch! WTAF??

Sorry, this is just pure crap in 2018.

Comment

Originally posted by Nu-Eclipse View Post
                    That doesn't change the fact that you can still manually save your backup data on XBOX One and PS4 when you cannot do so on the Switch.

It certainly doesn't change the fact that Nintendo have recently had the audacity to state that their cloud-saving function won't be compatible with all games on Switch! WTAF??

Sorry, this is just pure crap in 2018.
                    Not sure why you added this? I was agreeing with you. Nintendo's online service looks like it's going to be **** and they're locking away things that shouldn't be locked away as well as not providing things they should be providing.

The bright side is that Sony did it, and the result of that was that the consumer forced them to change for the PS4. With any luck this service will tank and Nintendo will over-deliver to compensate.

Comment

Not sure why you added this? I was agreeing with you. Nintendo's online service looks like it's going to be **** and they're locking away things that shouldn't be locked away as well as not providing things they should be providing.

The bright side is that Sony did it, and the result of that was that the consumer forced them to change for the PS4. With any luck this service will tank and Nintendo will over-deliver to compensate.
                      To be fair to Sony on this one the cloud saving was an optional added bonus with ps+ at the time (servers cost money to run afterall), you could still back up manually just fine on every game with a usb stick, or anything else really you had to hand, the cloud back up was ubiquitous as well, it worked out the gate on every game system wide.

Nintendo's offering is an absolute joke, you can't back up to the mem card in the switch and cloud back up is random, GTFO Nintendo.

Comment

Originally posted by fishbowlhead View Post
                        To be fair to Sony on this one the cloud saving was an optional added bonus...GTFO Nintendo.
                        I think people are fixating on the specific feature a bit much. I was trying to say that these online services, in general, are bad, but their problems have generally led to improvements over time. Nintendo's seems to just get worse and worse but this is the first time they're trying to charge for the priviledge.

Sony's desire to get more people onto their online service was what got them to innovate with the better features of PSPlus on PS3, which was an awesome service once it finally hit its stride. I hope Nintendo are forced to do something similar; god knows I won't be subbing until they do.

Comment

Didn't realise that Nintendo were finally giving us the one and only way to backup games saves and were putting it behind a paywall.

That's it for me. I'll either sell it or hack it into an emulation machine. Nintendo can go **** themselves.

Comment

Seems like a bit of an overreaction, pay £270 for a Switch, probably bought a few games. Then say screw you I am going to hack my machine cause you don't want to £20 a year for their on line service where they will legitimately give you classic games to play legally.

Comment

Originally posted by wargame View Post
                              Seems like a bit of an overreaction, pay £270 for a Switch, probably bought a few games. Then say screw you I am going to hack my machine cause you don't want to £20 a year for their on line service where they will legitimately give you classic games to play legally.
                              They’ll dish out a few titles at the start then not bother for the remainder of the machines life. As for the back ups it’s on a seemingly random basis.

Even the n64 has ubiquitous mem card save back up.
                              Last edited by fishbowlhead; 18-08-2018, 12:40.

Comment

Originally posted by wargame View Post
                                don't want to £20 a year for their on line service where they will legitimately give you classic games to play legally.
                                The problems are bigger than that, though, and I'm sure you're aware of them. For some of us it's that we have bought the games they're likely to offer physically and on Nintendo's digital storefronts in the past. Can you imagine if Valve had tried to tell Steam users they would have to pay again to play Half-Life 2 in Windows 10, because they bought it while using XP? I know it's not a perfect example but one doesn't really exist so it'll have to do.

For others it's just that we've had online play for free in the past, and don't understand what we're paying for, other than Nintendo deciding to charge because they think they can.

Blizzard charges monthly for World of Warcraft, but in return, the game changes over time, bit-by-bit, adding more content to the experience. I pay for Netflix every month, because their service introduces new movies and shows, which I understand is financed by my subscription.

Nintendo is finishing support for Splatoon 2 this Christmas. If they were continuing to support it longer-term due to the service, perhaps with a long-term roadmap to have dedicated server support and monthly mini-expansions, I would be happy to pay for that. I would pay more than £20 a year for this sort of thing. But it doesn't look like that kind of thing is on the cards.

Comment

Working...
                                X