This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Asura View Post
    Nintendo is finishing support for Splatoon 2 this Christmas. If they were continuing to support it longer-term due to the service, perhaps with a long-term roadmap to have dedicated server support and monthly mini-expansions, I would be happy to pay for that. I would pay more than £20 a year for this sort of thing. But it doesn't look like that kind of thing is on the cards.
    This is the biggest kicker for me - I just don't feel that I'd be actually paying for a service.

I'm hoping this flops so Nintendo are forced to offer something that can actually justify the online paywall, but I'm betting it does just-acceptably-well-enough so that doesn't happen.

Comment

Originally posted by danstan21 View Post
      I'm hoping this flops so Nintendo are forced to offer something that can actually justify the online paywall, but I'm betting it does just-acceptably-well-enough so that doesn't happen.
      I hope that too, but I think it would have to be an abject failure for that, purely because they're not supplying any content, so it can't really fail. The costs are so low that they'll definitely at least break even.

Comment

I hope that too, but I think it would have to be an abject failure for that, purely because they're not supplying any content, so it can't really fail. The costs are so low that they'll definitely at least break even.
        Break even? Their just adding a paywall to something that already works, literally flipping a switch for profit.

Comment

Originally posted by fishbowlhead View Post
          Break even? Their just adding a paywall to something that already works, literally flipping a switch for profit.
          Nah, there are costs. They're small, comparatively miniscule, but they do exist. I just didn't say "charging something for nothing" because if I had said that, someone would've been along to say "weeeelllll it isn't nothing".

Comment

Sadly, agreed. The only thing that will make Nintendo reconsider is a post-paywall playerbase so small that customers who do end up paying complain about worse matchmaking than in the free days.

Comment

Originally posted by fishbowlhead View Post
              Isn't that all tech support is?

Comment

It can fail if it badly damages sales of any games with online features. Which I can’t help thinking it will. The question I think will be whether the people who just pay it anyway outweigh that damage and I think it probably could because I think it’s cheap enough that many will go for it even if they play just one game online on the system.

Comment

Not an overreaction. Don't want NES games, will never play online. Do want the occasional game to play on the go but if you look at the 4 games I have for it, Zelda, Skyrim, stardew valley and Minecraft you'll see they are all long games. The sort of game where your investment in time becomes more valuable than the console itself.

Comment

Im using my SX Pro and some Homebrew to backup my saves. Bugger waiting.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaz View Post
                      Im using my SX Pro and some Homebrew to backup my saves. Bugger waiting.
                      Please explain. Sounds like a plan

Comment

Actually I just ordered the kit myself

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
                          Actually I just ordered the kit myself

Cheers
                          Its great. Just ripped all my carts to SD card. Physical versions on the shelf ad the convenience of digital on my console.

Comment

This weekend I have been playing Minit on Switch. It’s brilliant. Look it up and check it out. It’s taking my mind off the fact that I’m very much not playing Shenmue on the system.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaz View Post
                              Its great. Just ripped all my carts to SD card. Physical versions on the shelf ad the convenience of digital on my console.
                              From what I understand you can also update the firmware and access the eShop without uninstalling the mod, right?

Comment

I think you should go into this prepared to have a banned console and account at the end of it. I'll take the precaution of not updating the firmware, removing my account, not going online with it ever etc. But it's possible that Nintendo will find a way to detect that a unit has run custom firmware at some point in the past and ban that console.

Comment

Working...
                                X