No announcement yet.

Life as a Parent 2.4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SFJR2 is 17 months old and last night we went to pass her a bit of potato waffle and she held up her hands, shook her head and said 'No, no, no, no more!"
    Back chatted by a 17 month old.

I struggle really hard with CBBC, we don't put it on too often as despite the lack of adverts the shows are really hard to endure as there's a real cheap, dry nature to them. We mostly tend to put it on from around 6.30pm as we kick off the whole bedtime hour window. Which leads us nicely into:

In the Night Garden

This is the tale of lone, dying sailor adrift at sea having lost his ship and all his friends. Drifting away on the endless sea in a small boat under the starry night sky he lies down, tired and weary of starved life and falls asleep slipping into a fevered dream of living in the night garden where he exists alongside strange characters who represent those he'll never see again. His lost love, his young children... never to be seen again as his dream comes to an end and he's carried away by the waves in his eternal sleep... 'it's time... to go'
    Dark interpretation of the concept aside, it's main issue is it's too damned long but it does hold kids attentions well enough and calms them down so it does the job.

Apple & Onion
    So new that there's only ten episodes. This has Richard Ayoade as Onion who is basically Moss from IT Crowd, an onion who lives with Apple, a like minded soul. The humour is quite good in this, the creator having previously worked on Gumball, but the songs are over simple and over used. Every living character in the show is a food or drink, the show overlooking the fact that any eating shown represents canabilism. The kids love it but if you let them get into it you'll find yourself strained by the lack of episodes.

Comment

I see Night Garden in a similar way, but he's not dying.
      It's just his fever dreams as he's adrift on the ocean and the salt water is fuelling his dream adventures.

Comment

Just wait till we get to Shimmer and Shine...

Comment

A faff of a week. SFJr1 thinks its funny to take toys of other kids, it's a bit of a game to him as it often creates a bit of a chase scenario. He's pulled up for it all the time for doing it to SFJr2. However, it turns out the kids at school have had enough and Friday we picked him up and his whole face was cut to hell with deep scratches from several other kids. The weekend went on drumming into him not to take toys off others etc but then early this week on the school saying that we don't question what he's doing but kids going for his face in such a way is unacceptable and it was so bad he's lucky one of them didn't catch one of his eyes. Seems to have stopped though thankfully.

But how short notice do they tell you of events? No-one mentioned a note had been put in his bag on Tuesday so it's lucky we saw it saying they were doing a fundraising day today in fancy dress with mandatory donations giving us effectively one day's notice to buy a costume and dig out some change for it. Daft - still, today he's in the school defending other children as Batman running round in gravelled voice saying 'you're going down!'

Shimmer and Shine
          This is the story of Leah, a young girl living in an expensive modern home who is used to a life of getting what she wants. After her parents refuse to give in to any more of her demands she murders them in their sleep and buries the bodies. Increasingly isolating herself she stops going to school and her only friend is the boy who lives nearby who comes round to play every now and again. Slipping further and further into her psychosis she begins to imagine two magical genies who she uses to help her cope, them given her her every desire as she goes out of her way to mask herself from the fact she is the only one who can see them and the increasingly fantastical visions she experiences. By the second season Leah has fully submitted to he slip on reality and has retreated fully into her delusion where she now imagines herself living with the genies in a magical wish fulfilling kingdom. Only now a sorceress called Zetta plagues her, a dark reminder of the troubles that haunt her.

It's a very empty headed fluff show, clearly made quite on the cheap. It holds the kids attention but never for very long.

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
            But how short notice do they tell you of events?
            If I wasn't on the Facebook group for their year group, I wouldn't have a Scooby Doo what's going on!

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
            still, today he's in the school defending other children as Batman running round in gravelled voice saying 'you're going down!'

Comment

Oh Christ.

What a hideous few days.

Nancy had her year 1 jabs - cue misery, crying and broken sleep. She spiked a fever Thursday and Calpol didn't help so nursery asked for her to be collected. No problem there as I was working locally.

In the end I picked up both Harry and Nancy as it made more sense as it was almost home time anyway.

Later that same night after bedtime Harry starts to call out that he felt poorly. A fever of 40.1 degrees and a bout if vomiting led to me sleeping on his bedroom floor.

I was off yesterday as our regular childcare (grandma) wasn't available but Harry was so poorly we had multiple calls with 111 and an emergency GP appointment. Told that it was a viral thing and he'll be better soon. Typical response.

He's been fine, though quiet, today and sat watching some TV and even eating some plain toast. Bedtime rolled around and he went down no problem.

Then, 45 minutes ago he's screaming that he's poorly. I'm downstairs so rush up to see him (Mrs still asleep in room next door) and deal with another bout of puking in-between cries and sobs saying how poorly he feels.

I'm now sleeping on the floor again as he asked me too. He turned round at one point and said that he's scared because he was alone!! It breaks my heart to see him like this and would do almost anything to take his pain away.

Comment

You're a good dad.

Puking in-between cries is the worst, especially for little kids. Good luck and happy parenting this evening.

Comment

Originally posted by Blobcat View Post
                  You're a good dad.
                  Thank you [MENTION=16665]Blobcat[/MENTION] it's nice to hear things like that every once in a while.

Really broken night. Harry was so uncomfortable and kept asking for a drink. Then Nancy decided at 4am to kick off for the best part of 90 minutes so I was dealing with that too.

My wife is getting over a nasty bout of 'almost tonsillitis' and the last time that happened she ended up in hospital for three days so she is still recuperating.

I've woken up with sniffles this morning too and really hope it doesn't turn into anything else. We can't all be sick!!

Comment

[MENTION=2540]teddymeow[/MENTION]: Hope Harry is feeling better soon. Just a word of unsolicited advice - if you get the feeling you're being fobbed off by NHS Direct, go with your instincts and to the hospital. Even if you're wrong, better safe than sorry.

Comment

Cheers [MENTION=278]gunrock[/MENTION].

He seems a bit brighter this morning. Watching Thomas & Friends and having a small bowl of Shreddies.

Easy day today. Put the central heating on as it's bloomin' cold and will just relax in the lounge.

Comment

And we're up at the hospital.

Comment

Noooo! Sorry to hear that. Hope all turns out okay.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                            Noooo! Sorry to hear that. Hope all turns out okay.
                            He was still a bit wobbly this morning so decided to keep him off nursery.

Grandma and Grandad came over to look after him and my wife and I headed to work.

Got a call at about 11am saying he'd spiked another fever, was aching but his feet were cold. Apparently that's a trigger point.

Paramedic turned up at my house followed by ambulance to take Harry to hospital.

I was down in Chichester so had to drive back worrying and also trying to deal with Monday drivers.

Sat here now and Harry has dozed off. Temp is down slightly but his hips and tummy ache when touched.

Comment

That's rough. That's one of the hardest thing with kids - having to organise life around them last minute when things happen.

Comment

Still at the hospital. He's had a few sets of observations and they've given him a dose of Calpol and he's currently asleep.

He has four sticky pads (one on each hand, one on his "elbow crease" and one on his foot) and under those is an anesthetic cream so if they need bloods the needle.wont hurt.

They've done a nasal swab and urine sample too. Have to wait to see the doctor again as an urgent patient has come in.

I feel somewhat comforted that if it was really serious he'd be hooked up to goodness knows what by now.

I've decided that I need to get a job that's based at a single location. This field based malarky isn't any good when this sort of thing happens...

EDIT: Just seen consultant. Staying in overnight. Needs chest x-ray, blood work, drip for IV antibiotics and fluids. Fuuuuuuuuuuck.
                                Last edited by teddymeow; 08-10-2018, 19:52.

Comment

Working...
                                X