Open Source Scan Converter - OSSC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Armchair Critic View Post
    Sorry to resurrect an old thread for this. I’ve taken the plunge and ordered an OSSC for my modded PAL Saturn and am thinking of upgrading my cheapy third party RGB Scart to a better one. Thing is I’m not sure where to get one from. Doing a quick search online, Retro Gaming Cables seem to be recommend by a few websites. Are their cables any good?
    One of theirs just died on me. That's a first for any cable.

Comment

Had to repair an AES cable they sold Colin too.

Supposedly they're better now but how difficult is it to create a strong solder joint ffs? lol

Comment

I’ve never had a cable die on me before (touch wood), sounds like I should avoid Retro Gaming Cables then. Thing is, they’re not cheap either at nearly £28 for a cable.

Comment

Yikes.

Comment

I’ve never had a cable die on me before (touch wood), sounds like I should avoid Retro Gaming Cables then. Thing is, they’re not cheap either at nearly £28 for a cable.
            I got the MackaPackaPunch cable with audio breakout for my SFC. I hope it lasts for life.

Comment

I think they do cheaper cables, but obviously focus on their high quality, more expensive Packapunch cables.

From what I know -- they improved the quality of their cables over the past couple of years. I've got a few and they seem fine. The Packapunch cables are the safest bet for peace of mind.

I bought a few Scart cables from America that are really high quality and they cost me around £25 each, so good quality Scart cables aren't cheap. Expensive cables are definitely harder to make and use better materials.

Comment

I checked on their site, that’s the only option for the Saturn.

Packapunch won’t improve the image, in theory, but they’re more durable sure.
                Last edited by speedlolita; 30-11-2018, 13:09.

Comment

Originally posted by speedlolita View Post

Packapunch won’t improve the image, in theory, but they’re more durable sure.
                  It will at least prevent audio & visual problems you can get with cheap cables. I have a few of their less expensive cables and they seem OK. My SNES Scart cable was made by that woman in America who sells high quality cables through Ebay. I can't remember the name of her biz.

Comment

It’s retro gaming accessories, that seller. But yes all the RGC cables are hand assembled so made correctly unlike some cheaper cables. Varies though, something like a PlayStation has a very simple cable so cheaper ones aren’t necessarily worse. Mileage may varying of course. A nice cable does wonders for peace of mind.

Comment

I agree!! I think I’ll just go for the RGC one and hope that it lasts. If folks are thinking that the quality is a bit better these days, then that’ll do for me. Once I get the OSSC for Christmas I may be back on for some help with it! Thanks for the cable advice

Comment

Working...
                      X