This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

-Guardians of the Galaxy Vol.2-
    Almost done with the pre-Infinity War rewatches now with GOTG2 being this weekends viewing. This is still one of the strongest MCU movies but still definitely falls behind the original because of how quickly they arrive on Ego and stay there for the duration. Still lots to love about it though including the entire climax of the film.

Comment

T H R E E D E E
      T H U R S D A Y

I'm trying to watch a few 3D films before the medium dies out, because I really enjoy them.

I had to do it in a couple of chunks, rather than on Thursday, but last night I finished off Pacific Rim.

I don't think I've seen it since the cinema!
      Well, it's schlocky, and far from perfect, but by jove it's good fun.
      I found myself grinning at several places, usually when the big things were fighting:
      Giant Enemy Grab destroying Tokyo
      Robot doing a backflip
      Using a tanker as a baseball bat
      Montage of all the 'bots rolling out

The 3D is actually really well implemented in this and has been thought out. There are constant little touches to add depth to what's on screen like translucent computer screens, blurring and light effects, layers of rain, waves splashing the camera, helicopters flying in the foreground, birds flying around and so on. A great 3D experience and a lot of fun to watch.

Comment

Just got back from Pacific Rim Uprising.
        What a ridiculously cheesy film, but so much fun!

Comment

It seems Disney has stopped releasing 3D blurays here, so I'm having to import to get my fix. Waiting on Thor 3.

Did we have a 3D movie thread before the database death? We need one, although I imagine it'll just be you and me in there.
          Last edited by kryss; 29-03-2018, 04:55.

Comment

Originally posted by kryss View Post

Did we have a 3D movie thread before the database death? We need one, although I imagine it'll just be you and me in there.
            I’m a fan of 3D Blu-rays too. It’s a shame that TVs don’t come with 3D support any more as 4K sets are ideal for it. LGs 2016 OLED TVs do perfect 3D playback with no crosstalk or ghosting.

Comment

-The Greatest Showman-
              Went in with scrutiny in my eyes, it's a film that could have done with a longer run time as it has numerous strands that don't get the time they need to land with weight, but I enjoyed it much more than I expected. It's effectively just a very light, fun and likeable movie. Nicely surprised by this one.

Comment

Originally posted by CMcK View Post
                I’m a fan of 3D Blu-rays too. It’s a shame that TVs don’t come with 3D support any more as 4K sets are ideal for it. LGs 2016 OLED TVs do perfect 3D playback with no crosstalk or ghosting.
                Another 3D fan here too. My TV is LG and it's great for 3D. I watched Thor Ragnarok in 3D at the weekend and will almost always go for 3D blu-rays where I can get them.

Comment

I'll create a thread for 3D films for the 3Dudes who'll use it!

Comment

I like 3D too. Although I recently watched The Mummy feat. Tom Cruise and not only was it an appallingly bad film, but there was a ton of nasty ghosting in the dark scenes, and some scenes seemingly hadn't had any 3D treatment at all.

It's weird that the format is dying in the home, where it works well provided you have a decent set, and yet still popular in the cinema where RealD just looks like a terrible blurry mess.

Comment

It's apparently been in decline in cinemas too over the last few years. It's likely only lasted so long there due to the amount of people willing to pay for it in order to watch a film at a preferred time slot. Give it another couple of years and it'll likely be gone altogether.

Comment

There's no doubt it has been in decline where I am. Lots of movies just don't get 3D screenings where I am and, when there are both, the 2D screenings are always booked out before the 3D ones.

Comment

I tried 3D (in the cinema) a few times and didn't like it at all (beyond the novelty factor, which wore off quickly). I don't need a film to resemble a pop up book to get a sense of depth. It's just a constant reminder I'm watching a film, and I can't lose myself in it like I would on a standard screen. Doesn't break by heart it's popularity is fading ... but I hope it's supported just enough for those who do enjoy it.

Comment

Saw a few 3d movies in the cinema, some have been pish but loads are amazing like journey to the mysterious island and avatar

Comment

I thought Hobbit was incredible in HFR 3D. I didn't notice any ghosting at all.

I was watching it again on 3D BR recently at my parents' place and it was smooth there, too. When I switched back to 2D, the frame rate dropped to 24fps. I wasn't aware the BR was anything other than 24fps so I wonder if the telly was smoothing it in 3D mode.

Comment

Baby Driver

Just watched this on sky. Had no preconceptions of the movie having read little about it and really enjoyed it. The soundtrack is excellent. When you hear Jon Spencer blues explosion in the opening 5 minutes you know you're going to be in for a treat!

Comment

Working...
                                X