X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

John Wick
    John Wick: Chapter Two

Both do play well off each other and definitely have that feel of being two parts of a trilogy. The first still has the best lines and action of the two though Ch2 is surprisingly solid as a sequel. I think one of the reasons CH2 doesn't click quite as well is it slightly over does it by having so many henchmen taking down by a kneecap/headshot combo. CH2 is more about numbers whereas Ch1 makes a lower body count feel harder fought.

Comment

Tomb Raider.

Good attempt at being different from the other films. The plot sticks to the game for a while and then gets diverted, but a lot of the puzzle solving feels so limp, not due to poor acting, but the script and speed with which they are dispensed.

I like the explanation of the Queen's magic powers.

Worth watching, but a little forgettable.

Comment

John Wick 2

Cracking film. Keanu's a beast, and so much of the stunts were clearly him - even some driving stunts. Brilliant choreography and some proper violent wincing moments(I hardly ever need to look away during violent films but I had to during the pencil bit. Jesus H!)

Agree with SF about body count, but I liked how he kept taking people's guns like we do in shooting games.

Comment

Also watched RE: Final Chapter. Usual tosh, but not bad. Glad it's over though Had to watch them all like a train wreck.

Comment

Also, anyone seen "In Time" with Justin Trouser Snake? Really great concept. He's totally useless in it but half way through and I'm hooked. It is on amazon prime

Comment

I really liked that film. Made me want to see Looper again, too.

Comment

I saw A Quiet Place tonight. It’s very good. I didn’t know anything about it other than it has a beautifully short 90 minute run time. It delivers on the run time and is also a very good movie so it’s win-win. Strong premise that’s very well done.

Comment

I watched Rififi last night. I've been meaning to watch it for years (after reading about it, and its famous middle act, in Empire Magazine) and I finally got around to picking it up on blu-ray, along with a couple of other Jules Dassin titles.

I love a caper movie anyway, but this has a lovely noir vibe too, plus many great location shots in 50s Paris.

Fab film. Thoroughly enjoyed it

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
                    Also, anyone seen "In Time" with Justin Trouser Snake? Really great concept. He's totally useless in it but half way through and I'm hooked. It is on amazon prime
                    its directed by Andrew Niccol who directed ​Gatacc​ so he knows what he's doing regarding setting, costumes and overarching story.

Although it turned into a light Bonnie & Clyde affair in the second half I generally enjoyed the film and didn't think Timberlake/Seyfried were too bad in it. He's made better films but its worth watching at least once.

Comment

Originally posted by JazzFunk View Post
                      Couple on Netflix.

And The World's End, which is likeable as hell but clumsy as futch, I reckon it would have been miles better if it didn't have THAT twist in the middle, I mean W.T.F.

Frost n Peggy are really great, it's just it doesn't really work towards the end and it's not really that funny, more just amazingly loveable.

Oh man the twist stopped a lovely warm movie being ace for me, knaarmeean?
                      I can hardly remember The World's END, all I can remember was it was rather dull and not as sharp as the previous in the Cornetto Trillogy. That and me no liking Pegg's character really didn't help.

Not sure if I have mentioned before on this forum but I am a MASSIVE fan of SPACED. I had the opportunity in being a zombie extra in Shaun of the Dead but I officially started Uni that week.

I actually really enjoyed Paul and Run Fatboy Run which is a bit dumb but fun with Dylan Moran..

Comment

Jeez, I remember seeing Run Fat Boy Run with an ex at the pictures late 2007. Only seems like two minutes ago. It was like a TV movie but warm and likeable so I didn't hate it, me and the ex both enjoyed it, it contributed to a good night.

Most notable thing was two older ladies walked out on the bit where it looks like Simon Pegg's having a wank (when he isn't). Yeah, I'm sure I heard "well I'm not watching this" and huffing and puffing and they both got up and stormed out as fast as 60yr old women can storm out of a darkened cinema.

Haha, a nice memory.

Comment

Insidious: The Last Key
                          The fourth film is a sequel, prequel and prequel again in equal measure. The film takes place in 2010, very soon after the events of Chapter 3 with Elise back in the ghost hunting game but before the events of Chapters 1 and 2. It takes her back to her childhood home where a demon is stalking the man who now lives there and she confronts her troubled childhood. This means a fair chunk of the film is also spent in further flashbacks showing how the home became possessed and how Elise's powers came about. It's on this basis that the film mostly works and the moments with the actually jumps work solidly as well. When the credits roll though and your mind reflects back on it you come to the realisation that the actual contained plot of the film surrounding the demon makes zero sense and isn't attempted at being explained at all making it fall down as an experience, like it's competently made but only half thought through. There are a lot worse horrors for sure, this one could have been better though.

Comment

Saw Isle of Dogs yesterday. Another corker from Wes Anderson. So much care has gone into making this by the looks of it the stop motion style animation is gorgeous, incredible attention to detail.
                            Story is straightforward but it plays out well. Surprisingly bleak at times and quite emotional with some light touches. Loads of tributes to Japanese culture and cinema too.
                            Well worth a watch.

Comment

Three Billboards

Saw this on the plane. It was listed as a comedy and it is very funny but the central story isn't at all. Superb acting, and Francis is brilliant as always.

The Incredible Burt Wonderstone

I loved this, especially Jim Carrey as the "Brain Rapist"
                              Last edited by randombs; 15-04-2018, 13:54.

Comment

Paddington 2. I wish you could bottle this kind of feel-good

Comment

Working...
                                X