This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Rock
    Really enjoy this one every time I see it, it lacks a single action sequence that truly excels but the whole tone and momentum of the film is great and Connery still charms his way through it all with ease.

Comment

I watched two Ghibli films this weekend.

Grave Of The Fireflies - Oh god, my heart. This film is so sad. It's so beautiful but even when it's happy there is the ominous presence of sadness.

Howl's Moving Castle - A much happier and whimsical film. Really lovely.

Comment

More Stan and Ollie goodness.

Oliver the Eighth - some surreal moments (usually involving the butler) and great lines.

Ollie (referring to a marriage advert in the paper): Probably some old crab with a face that would stop a clock.

Butler: Nice weather we had tomorrow.

Helpmates - a festival of physical comedy. So many great falls, and Ollie suffering poked eyes and smashed heads. Nicely balanced with a great exchange:

Stan: Who do you think I am? Cinderella? If I had any sense I’d walk out on you.
        Ollie: Well it’s a good job you haven’t any sense.

Followed by Stan spending an eternity trying to work out what just happened.

Helpmates is an unrelentingly sad film, once the meat of comedy is picked clean. You’re left with a man who has lost his wife, all his worldly possessions, has nothing to wear, and sits in the remains of his burnt-down house while a thunderstorm cracks open overheard. Oliver the Eighth is an oddball three-reeler that’s held together by the absurd mime sequences and the reactions of the two boys as they encounter a person dafter than them. Their expressions are priceless.
        Last edited by prinnysquad; 21-04-2018, 07:19.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
          I watched two Ghibli films this weekend.

Grave Of The Fireflies - Oh god, my heart. This film is so sad. It's so beautiful but even when it's happy there is the ominous presence of sadness.

My other half keeps asking to watch and I just can’t watch it again. GotF just utterly crushes you, never had a film affect me like that before or ever likely too again.

There’s a few new details recently discovered in the original Japanese poster that’s very interesting.
          Last edited by fishbowlhead; 21-04-2018, 07:44.

Comment

Pack Up Your Troubles (1932)

A longer film from the boys. It’s basically split into two halves. The first takes place during the 1917 US entry into the war. Naturally, they aren’t keen to enrol, but get caught out faking injury, and conscripted. In no time at all they’re on refuse duty, before getting banged in the nick. Their friend, Eddie Smith, father of a young girl, is abandoned by his wife, and then snatched by the Germans, never to be seen again.

The second half concentrates on Stan and Ollie’s attempt to find Eddie’s parents, so that his daughter is left in good hands. They lift her from abusive foster parents, before trailing through every Smith in the city directory.

It’s a very funny film. The physical humour is top notch as usual. There’s some great lines, such as when Ollie asks an overly-officious welfare officer “How much do you charge to haunt a house?” The scene of mistaken identity with Billy Gilbert’s son’s wedding is exquisitely performed and hilarious.

I loved the exchange with the bank manager:
            Ollie: we are in the restaurant business.
            Manager: Where in town?
            Ollie: oh, all over. Here, there and tither.
            Manager: Ah, so a chain business?
            Stan: No, restaurant.

As ever, though, there’s an undercurrent of deep sadness. Laurel and Hardy films don’t have happy endings. They aren’t like Chaplin films. They are well-meaning, kind, nice people, who, through ineptitude and misfortune, suffer right to the closing credits. A rare chance here for a happy ending is similarly undercut. They are desperate to do their duty by their friend’s little girl, no matter how they are threatened - first, by street thugs, then officialdom. The foster parent scenes are genuinely awful to watch, featuring domestic violence and cruel abuse.

Nevertheless, Stan and Ollie, despise being dimwits, are shining hopes in a nasty, bitter world. They stand for all that is good in the world. This is a fascinating feature, a change of pace for them (with the humour being built around a very strict narrative), and I thoroughly enjoyed it.
            Last edited by prinnysquad; 21-04-2018, 19:03.

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
              The Rock
              Really enjoy this one every time I see it, it lacks a single action sequence that truly excels but the whole tone and momentum of the film is great and Connery still charms his way through it all with ease.
              I saw this years and years after it was released. I remember at the time of its release a friend dragged me to watch Mission Impossible which I thought was crap and I bumped into another friends brother who was watching The Rock. The brilliant outtakes were on youtube with Ed Harris going nuts and Connery punching Cage hard in the stomach and winding him.

Comment

I saw those, I reckon Ed Harris is a badass bast ya wouldn't wanna mess.

Comment

Watched Bruno and Kill List again on a double bill.

I've seen both about 7/8 times. Bruno gets less funnier with age and I've seen Kill List too much.

But I'll still say Kill List is 100% true banger.

Comment

Well, with reservations...

But the ATMOSPHERE.

Comment

Kill List was messed up. I saw it years ago and wouldn't watch it again. I had a friend who loves weird films and it really upset him. There was another film Id like to recommend you but I can't remember the title. I'll try and find out.

Edit. It's Order of Chaos. Really crap marks on imdb but I think it's worth a watch. It also messed my old friends head up but it's nothing like Kill List.
                      https://m.imdb.com/title/tt1159721/?ref_=m_nm_knf_act_t41

And yeah Ed Harris is the man.
                      Last edited by monel; 22-04-2018, 12:57.

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
                        The Rock
                        Phenomenal film. Easily in my top 5 ever. It's just so silly but played so straight.

"I'm only borrowing your Humvee!!"

Comment

Kill List isn't a film you "enjoy", but experience.
                          Proper bonkers.

Comment

Thor Ragnarok
                            Tons of fun!

Comment

Originally posted by JazzFunk View Post
                              Bruno gets less funnier with age.
                              The reaction to his TV pilot has me in stitches every time. The first time I saw it I was choking in laughter, something about how the way the old bloke describes what he just saw.

Comment

I watched Fate of the Furious last night. After a messy 7th movie and enough closure never to need another F&F movie, 8 still managed to surprise and entertain and justify its existence to the point where I would say it is an upper tier F&F movie - a high accolade indeed.

Comment

Working...
                                X