Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some Like It Hot. I always thought this looked just a bit too silly, so it's taken years to get round to finally watching this classic comedy. It's actually really good fun. And Marilyn Monroe! Another gem from Billy Wilder. Sunset Boulevard and Ace in the Hole up next.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
      We were talking about unusual films last night like Kill List, Zabriskie Point, Slacker, High Rise, Don't Look Now and things like that.

What other films can you think of that you've seen that were off the mainstream, but have stuck with you, years later.
      [MENTION=2725]Baseley09[/MENTION], one for you too.
      Good question, sadly I'm zooming off to work.

I'm remembering a couple of 60s/70s ones, Targets and The Swimmer. I *think* it's called Targets, it's this strange little movie where this guy snipes cars on a freeway. The Swimmer is a slowly-goin-mental Burt Lancaster doing a depressive pool crawl in his trunks

I will think of loooooooads more later!!!!!

Comment

Actually, both same year, 1968. It was a good year, original NOTLD came out then, as well.

Comment

Nobody seems to talk about "The Cook, the Thief, His Wife & Her Lover" anymore.

It was INSANE back in 1990, quite a sickly, pungent, horrible, mad, operatic movie.

Naked with David Thewlis as well. I know it's not got the cool factor cos it's Mike Leigh but nobody's even talked about this film at all for yearz and it was quite brilliant iirc

Comment

TCTWHWAHL is a good shout, actually. It's got this almost unreal vibe and feels like it's all shot in the same room.
            The final twist is up there with the likes of The Crying Game.

I don't know anything about Naked. I'd feel weird walking into the video shop and saying I'd like to get Naked.

Last night I went to the flicks to see A Quiet Place.
            Wowzers, it was really good!
            It's an elevator pitch of a plot, but a lot of good films are (like It Follows).
            Predatory creatures have decimated the Earth's population, hunted people using sound.
            We follow the story of a family that have learned to keep quiet at all times, or suffer the consequences.
            The film builds to the final section where it's a relentless, exhausting onslaught of events.

Usually these films remind you a lot of others, but it was pretty unique.
            In fact, if it reminded me of anything, it would be videogames like The Last of Us and Everybody's Gone to the Rapture, because nobody says "Ohh, remember when the aliens landed?", you just fill the blanks with bits of the background like newspaper clippings.
            This works in its favour, because there are some massive gaps in the plot if you dissect it, but as it was a small-scale story, rather than addressing the whole event, you really committed to the characters.
            The fact it was a family worked so much better than if it was a bunch of disparate survivors thrown together.

I also started watching Beyond Skyline, which was bobbins anyway, but even more when starkly contrasted against AQP. It felt really cheap like an episode of Lexx or something. Like Charles said, after 33 minutes (I checked) it felt like I'd been watching for 2 hours. Even Iko Uwais, Frank Grillo and Yayan Ruhian can't save the plot that feels like it was written on a napkin and then added to as they went along.
            Last edited by QualityChimp; 02-05-2018, 08:26.

Comment

Yeah I’d love to see that Quiet Place film but I know I’d kick off if the cinema wasn’t quiet, so I can’t face going.

Watched that Greatest Showman effort at the weekend. I was coerced. I’ve had to listen to the soundtrack every sodding night for months, so I was well versed in the songs. It was pretty good. Choreography was a nice mixture of tribal and acrobatic, and the running time didn’t outstay its welcome. Jackman proving again was a versatile and skilled performer he is. The story as a whole was a romanticised version of the truth, but it was a canny watch (for something I’ve been forced to endure).

Comment

Just finished Thor Ragnarok.

Runtime of 2 hours 10 minutes. Started watching it at 7pm. Work it out.

The joys of children. If Harry wasn't calling out that he wanted a drink then Nancy was projectile puking over the living room rug.

Comment

Pardon Us (1931)

I quite liked this as a kid, but it’s a bit of a jumbled mess on rewatch. You can tell it started life as a short feature. Scenes are tagged on and feel clumsily assembled, and the need to re-shoot is evident.

The Boys are thrown in the nick for bootlegging booze, manage to escape, hide out amongst the plantation workers picking cotton, get re-arrested, then eventually pardoned because they prevent a riot and mass escape. The plantation scenes feature songs and dances, and they aren’t nastily or mockingly done, but they really do date the film, and they’re quite uneasy to watch. The prison scenes are a mixed bag. James Finlayson’s classroom sequence is amusing, and there’s some decent lines and physical comedy, but it’s not one I’m bothered about re-watching very often.

This version on Talking Pictures is one I haven’t seen before. It features extra scenes, involving a house fire in the prison riot, and extended scenes of violence. I can only presume that BBC2 in 1993 or whenever decided to cut these out.

Comment

It's really jarring when you come across something from an earlier time when they were accepted.
                    Recently it was Jim Bowen's description of a "light-footed" producer.

I remember reading Live and Let Die and I was wincing at some of it:

"Published in 1954, the book freely uses terms like Negro and Negress. The word Negroid is also used to describe people's physical features. Bond describes Mr. Big's men as clumsy black apes. When he first sees Mr. Big's female chauffeur, Bond notes the strangeness of a Negress driving a car. With Americans knowing his identity, Bond says he feels like a Negro whose shadow has been stolen by the witch doctor. Bond remarks that he hasn't heard of a great Negro criminal before Mr. Big, though he's heard of Chinamen, Japs and Negros mixed up with crime in smaller ways."
                    The "n" word is also used a lot.

Originally posted by prinnysquad View Post
                    Yeah I’d love to see that Quiet Place film but I know I’d kick off if the cinema wasn’t quiet, so I can’t face going.
                    It's a great film to see at the cinema because it's a real thrill ride, but at any moment, the crunching of nachos could break the immersion. Maybe try and see it at a late showing towards the end of its run?

Comment

I wanna see all that raw stuff. It's shocking these days, watching something like Jackie Brown, they're freely smoking ciggies in a shopping mall and I see it and feel all WTF?!, it's nuts. It's hard to find the dangerous, mental, un-politically correct stuff anymore.

I was thinking of Silver Streak, we taped it off telly back in the 80s and there was always THAT scene where Patrick McGoohan says THAT word to Richard Pryor. That movie could never be shown like that again and the movie has seemingly vanished into the mists of time. I can still hum the music note perfect.

It was a great movie and it's a really spiky moment that adds an extra depth of sharp nastiness to McGoohan's character. And it's a shocking, jarring scene that I think bulks the movie out with a bit of verbal aggro that makes you truly root for the goodies.

I'm only talking one movie here but I think reality is often raw and extreme and not as pussycat-soft as movies seem to often make it feel today.

Crap, wonder how Fletch Lives seems these days, was a movie of my youth...

Anyhow, a few more to check out...O! Lucky Man, Leo The Last, Videodrome, Café Flesh (cool as futch and doity, too).
                      Last edited by JazzFunk; 04-05-2018, 04:25.

Comment

Nowadays we can have John Wick jumpcuts where 100 geeezaz are splattered onscreen in twenty seconds and nobody sees owt wrong with that and the 'hero' is basically deified and everything is OK. I mean, if I killed a man, I would think of who had lost him, his children, his parents, his loved ones. It's hypocritical and fake, more peeps DIE in movies than ever before these days and that's OK.

I'd like to classify myself as a non-racist but realise everyday folk talk racist all the time, I hear banter betwixt black n white at work on the regular, idiotic nationalistic Facebook posts from peeps who are lovely in real life, and one time had a very great Budweiser 440ml-assisted convo with my Indian mate Sam who surmised the worst and most evil race in the world were the White British...and I agreed amiably and graciously with what he was saying...but kinda liked it... it was like he was describing my ilk as pale-ass, sly, sneaky salamander warriors...excellent convo, may I add.

BUT ANYWAY...

Knaarmean? We live in a fully plastic world now.
                        Last edited by JazzFunk; 04-05-2018, 04:19.

Comment

"They are snakes," he said, "they are snakesss!!!"

And I laughed and thought this thought:

"I AM A SNAKE"

And I laughed for like 30secs, put kettle on, made cuppa tea, six mini-bags of Twiglets n a piss.

Comment

Watch Naked, btw.

It's like spending a couple of hours with the biggest prick in the world but it somehow makes you feel kinda sorry for him.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                              I don't know anything about Naked. I'd feel weird walking into the video shop and saying I'd like to get Naked.
                              Originally posted by JazzFunk View Post
                              Watch Naked. It's like spending a couple of hours with the biggest prick in the world.
                              "Hi, I'd like to get Naked. With the biggest prick on the world."
                              "SECURITY!"

Comment

Coincidentally, there is actually a scene where he inflicts his spiky invective on a security guard!

See, QC? It's like you've already seen it...

Comment

Working...
                                X