X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
    glory days of VHS
    Have you seen these?

Not sure about some of the titles but a VHS nostalgia-fest for sure (I might have bought The Thing for the old cover but not so soon after buying the Arrow LE)

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
      Have you seen these?

Not sure about some of the titles but a VHS nostalgia-fest for sure (I might have bought The Thing for the old cover but not so soon after buying the Arrow LE)
      Money to be spent again. I also loved the likes of the Warriors as well. Thanks for the heads up

Comment

I also used to have access to the Dutch uncut copies back in the early 90s, it was a bloody minefield at the time getting a decent copy, you'd be lucky to get a 4th gen copy from some guys. Made me laugh when Terminator 2 came out, peeps were charging like £15-£20 for cinema copies that constantly flipped between colour and B&W. Them were the days...or maybe they *weren't* the days...

Nice to see Anchor Bay getting a mention, I've still got craploads of their stuff from 10+ years back, they really cared about how they released their cult movies.

I've somehow never seen Terror Vision, god knows how that one slipped under the radar back in the day, saw the trailer loads.

Frankenhooker a great call, love that movie, Frank Henenlotter made that and Basket Case 2 around the same time, I loved BC2 as well.

Comment

Originally posted by JazzFunk View Post
          I also used to have access to the Dutch uncut copies back in the early 90s, it was a bloody minefield at the time getting a decent copy, you'd be lucky to get a 4th gen copy from some guys. Made me laugh when Terminator 2 came out, peeps were charging like £15-£20 for cinema copies that constantly flipped between colour and B&W. Them were the days...or maybe they *weren't* the days...

Nice to see Anchor Bay getting a mention, I've still got craploads of their stuff from 10+ years back, they really cared about how they released their cult movies
          Haha, Nice to see I wasn't the only one. God bless those Dutch;yes the quality was crappy but at least I got to see the likes of Dawn of the Dead, Dead of the Dead, House by the Cemetery, New York Ripper, City of the Living dead and tons more in all their uncut glory,even had the likes of Scream Greats with Tom Savini too .

Loved the likes of Anchor Bay on DVD At last onewas able to get the films in great quality with good extras and all uncut. I really liked (and still have) the likes of their Special Edition Beyond DVD tin set, along with loads more. Arrow films do a good job these days and speaking of 80's classics... I love the likes of Dolls and Reanimator from Stuart Gordon

80s was just the best for Cartoons, Films, Music and also great for gaming too

Comment

I've still got the US Maniac tin with the soundtrack CD shaped like Joe Spinell's head!!!

Crazy, when I found all those guys selling Dutch horror copies, I started making it my mission to source all the high-gore "chunkblowers" from Chas Balun's Deep Red Horror Handbook, ended up finding loads of weird, great movies...and also some incredibly bad ones (my copy of Anthropophagous The Beast was particularly awful).

'Video Nasties' got a proper bad rep at the time but many forget how many were actually great, great movies and also don't know how tame many actually were, some were basically banned because the censors didn't like the sound of the titles.

Anyway, I'm rambling. But it was a very unique time. I still buy the odd pre-cert as well, at one point I actually had an original Devil Hunter on Cinehollywood...but I didn't know it's true value at the time and should've held on to it.

Bah.

Comment

Lol, random flashback to an 'uncut' Japanese copy of The Toxic Avenger back in about 1992, it WAS 'uncut' goddamit but many of the best gory bits were drenched in a navy blue filter, rendering them useless. Useless!!!!!!

Comment

Not sure where to put this, but I enjoyed this list of the top 100 movie robots:

Comment

Originally posted by JazzFunk View Post
                  I've still got the US Maniac tin with the soundtrack CD shaped like Joe Spinell's head!!!
                  I still got mine too lol. I used to love getting the various uncut Dutch videos on the boss of the shop. I remember being amazing at how much was cut out of Dawn of the Dead or Zombie Flesh Eaters . It wasn't just horror either, used to get the uncut version of the likes of Robocop too and some of the Hong Kong Kung Fu films which were cut.

British Board of Film Classification were just silly in the 80's. That said I was amazing to see Braindead get passed totally uncut, when it one of the most gory films I had ever seen at the time and it's also a overlooked and underrated classic.

Comment

I've got a mate who used to loan us rare VHS films (he's the reason I discovered Argento via the rather splendid Deep Red). Anyway, since subsequent re-releases of films thought never available again, via dvd and now blu-ray, I've loved revisiting titles that were only previously watchable in fuzzy pan-and-scan-o-vision. But whenever I see said mate and I'm like 'wow, have you seen the new Arrow 4k re-master of Deep Red?' he's not interested in the slightest. For him the experience is video, warts n'all.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                      I've got a mate who used to loan us rare VHS films (he's the reason I discovered Argento via the rather splendid Deep Red). Anyway, since subsequent re-releases of films thought never available again, via dvd and now blu-ray, I've loved revisiting titles that were only previously watchable in fuzzy pan-and-scan-o-vision. But whenever I see said mate and I'm like 'wow, have you seen the new Arrow 4k re-master of Deep Red?' he's not interested in the slightest. For him the experience is video, warts n'all.
                      Its thanks to my mate inthe video shop, that I got to see the likes of The Stendhal Syndrome (with the wicked bullet shot), Trauma, Inferno and the uncut version of Demons.

Through that, grew my love of Claudio Simonetti music and bought loads of film music CDs over the years, Those Italians are class

Comment

I can appreciate the nostalgia appeal of revisiting your childhood with VHS but that's about all. I get them trying it given the success Vinyl has enjoyed in coming back but I'd have no interest in watching any of the films via tape, it's just unquestionably inferior on every level and was one of the tech switches that actually paid off.

Last night we watched:

Jurassic Park
                        The original, a film so good that even the tech guy in JW says 'that first park was legit'. It'll be common knowledge but because the two most recent films featured the vehicles from this film again I found myself paying more attention to scenes than I normally would which exposed two inconsistencies that for some reason I'd never noticed even though they're embarrassingly obvious. Firstly I was quite appreciative that though it's off screen in Park, the No.18 Wrangler is parked in Jurassic World pretty much exactly where you'd expect it to be based on the events in the original. But for the inconsistencies, the first involved the Explorer T-Rex scene, where they wait till it turns night and the T-Rex comes along in that famous water trembling moment and crashes through the jungle and then through the disabled electric fence. At the end of the scene the Explorer is pushed over the broken security wall and drops through the tree from a big height, ultimately ending up in the spot its found in Fallen Kingdom. Except that entire drop doesn't exist until the moment the Jeep goes over the wall or else the T-Rex would never have gotten to them in the first place.
                        The second is how - and I can't believe I've missed this all this time - Samuel L Jackson literally disappears. He's helping to come up with an idea to restart the Park's electric systems and then doesn't appear throughout the rest of the film and isn't mentioned during the escape. Turns out his character was supposed to have been killed when they turn the electric fences back on, killed by the Raptor hiding in the basement. But Jackson needed to fly back to Hawaii to film the scene and was unable to when ironically a real Hurricane hit the set and destroyed it. Afterwards he was unavailable so Spielberg edited around it and literally just ignored the characters existence in the last half hour.
                        The film is still epic though, able to create great moments without OTT showboating like the sequels got into. It'll always be at its best when a Park is involved.

Comment

JP lost a fair bit going from the big to the small screen for me ... I've just never been able to enjoy it as much as that first time. It was such an event seeing it at the cinema when it came out (after months of seeing the same clip on Movies, Games and Videos). It was a proper blockbuster, and it really raised the bar in terms of special effects. The T-Rex sequence when it busts out of the compound and Goldblum waves a flare at it ... that really blew my mind in the cinema.

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
                            that entire drop doesn't exist until the moment the Jeep goes over the wall or else the T-Rex would never have gotten to them in the first place.
                            I've always wondered that, too. Did the T-Rex paddock have that huge drop inside it? If so, what the heck for?

Samuel L Jackson literally disappears.... Turns out his character was supposed to have been killed when they turn the electric fences back on, killed by the Raptor hiding in the basement.
                            Do you mean there's no scene showing him getting killed? The arm that fell on Ellie's shoulder was all the explanation I needed!

Comment

Do they mention its his or is it left to be assumed by the viewer? I remember her having it drop onto her shoulder and her screaming. I'd assume it is and that'll be Spielbergs workaround which would just leave the magical Paddock drop

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
                                Do they mention its his or is it left to be assumed by the viewer? I remember her having it drop onto her shoulder and her screaming. I'd assume it is and that'll be Spielbergs workaround which would just leave the magical Paddock drop
                                She says something like "Oh Mr. Arnold, thank God!" and then turns around to see the arm isn't connected to anything.

I think it has his blingy gold watch still on the wrist and he's the only black guy in the entire film

Comment

Working...
                                X