Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It seems like a common theme with Snyder films. The set ups and general aims of the plots are often pretty decent but the execution fails to deliver on that promise. Batman v Superman is basically one big exploration of the same things people complained about in MoS, it kind of fully explains the world of the DCU but it's lost completely by being packaged in a film that utterly fails to deliver on that promise. I can easily believe he's a fan of the stuff and does internally get a lot of the stuff that goes with it but as a film maker he's more of a music video director than a storyteller.

Comment

I haven't seen BvS but I did really like his Dawn of the Dead movie and I even quite liked Watchmen and felt it pretty accomplished given the difficulty of the source material so it has been odd seeing him on what feels like a downward slide.

Comment

Going back to Superman IV, I didn't realise as a kid how nuts it was.

Superman III hadn't been a massive hit because of the random comedy, but must have cost a fortune with all those big name stars in it.
        Christopher Reeve said he wouldn't return to the role and Margot Kidder got sidelined for dissing Lester when he replaced Donner on II.
        The producers then put the rights up for sale and Cannon bought them!

Those high-budget hi jinks were replaced with low-budget making-do.

The dramatic scenes in New York/Metropolis were replaced with Milton Keynes!
        They got a load of American cars and hot dog stalls in and it was pretty convincing to a kid in the 80s, but it was a complete shambles in comparison to the earlier films. Reeve said in his autobiography:
        "[Richard] Donner would have choreographed hundreds of pedestrians and vehicles and cut to people gawking out of office windows at the sight of Superman walking down the street like the Pied Piper. Instead, we had to shoot at an industrial park in England in the rain with about a hundred extras, not a car in sight, and a dozen pigeons thrown in for atmosphere..."

Superman IV infamously tried to pass off the UK's Milton Keynes for New York. We pay a visit to some of its filming locations...

Comment

It's definitely hard to imagine anyone who struggled with MoS taking well to BvS though the few Batman sequences in it are absolutely glorious.

Comment

Demons, 1986. Used to love it but just watched it and found it jarring and annoying, it was mainly a chore to watch. Ah well.

Comment

Watched Hackers last night. That movie just gets better with age. Loved it.

Comment

Couple off Netflix, Hostel 2 (which I saw years back, drunk) and Sausage Party.

Hostel 2's a really nice movie, visually, I thought it looked great, I loved the idea of the two Americans but an abrupt event swiftly offs a really good character, which disappointed, I reckon the whole movie should've been based entirely on the two Americans, it was a very interesting direction to go in. Anyway, rambling now.

Sausage Party? It was...OK, I guess. But what the hell was it? It was certainly creative and decent fun in a Shrek kind of way but did I laugh once??! Um...5.2/10, very good graphics tho, good hair depiction in parts.

Comment

Originally posted by JazzFunk View Post
                  Demons, 1986. Used to love it but just watched it and found it jarring and annoying, it was mainly a chore to watch. Ah well.
                  I think its still class tbh.

Comment

Jurassic World 2: The Sequel

Absolutely brilliant. We want to see it again in the cinema soon.

Chris Pratt on top form.

The T-Rex truck scene was wicked. Wicked, I say!

10/10

Comment

Originally posted by randombs View Post
                      Jurassic World 2: The Sequel

Absolutely brilliant. We want to see it again in the cinema soon.

Chris Pratt on top form.

The T-Rex truck scene was wicked. Wicked, I say!

10/10
                      Yes!

I really loved it too. One of the best movies I've seen in a while. Really silly, but much better than the last one.

We went to See the incredibles 2 , which was good fun, very much along the lines of the first one. I've not seen a pixar movie in ages, but I was blown away by just how detailed and realistic lightining in the the super stylised world was, there were a few times when I thought I was watching live action people with big heads on.

We also watched Skyscraper, that was a proper silly popcorn ridiculous action film. It made very little sense and was so full of holes and bad science it was unreal, but hey.

Comment

Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation
                        Caught up now ahead of the sixth film and I enjoyed this on rewatch, it's a smarter plot than Protocol and perhaps it's weakest point is that none of the set pieces feel as epic as those ion previous films.

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
                          Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation
                          perhaps it's weakest point is that none of the set pieces feel as epic as those ion previous films.
                          I dunno man, that plane sequence is still pretty memorable!

I watched The Incredibles 1 with my son on Sunday as he's going to see the sequel tonight with his Nan.

I loved watching it again and somebody always peels onions near me at the end when Mr. Incredible says "I'm not strong enough" but he doesn't mean physical strength, it's the thought of losing his family again.

Special shout out to the soundtrack which is very John Barry-esque.

I'm actually really jealous it's not me he seeing it with!
                          Last edited by QualityChimp; 18-07-2018, 08:38.

Comment

The plane sequence is a nice shot but it doesn't lead anywhere, he gets in the plane, ties himself Nathan Drake style to some crates and pulls to chute cord before... cut to opening credits. Winds me up every time

Comment

Originally posted by JazzFunk View Post

Sausage Party? It was...OK, I guess.
                              You are very forgiving Jazz.

I thought it was terrible. Anthropomorphic Swearing food! Hilarious! It had a few funny bits, but it got repetitive very quickly.

Comment

Coco

Missed it in the cinema which is such a shame because it's a wonderful film. And such a welcome relief among all the accusations of Hollywood whitewashing.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

We assumed it was a comedy from the trailer but it's quite serious, and really rather good.

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                                I watched The Incredibles 1 with my son on Sunday as he's going to see the sequel tonight with his Nan.
                                I rented this yesterday in preparation for the sequel and will watch it tonight.

You'll like this: in Japan, the first one is called 'Mr. Incredible', completely sidelining the rest of the family.

The sequel is called 'Incredible Family', though. Seems they needed three kids to deserve the title

Comment

Working...
                                X