This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pacific Rim: Uprising

Complete rubbish with no redeeming features. I didn’t even pause it when getting socks from the bedroom.

I was just waiting for it to finish so I could go to sleep. Night night, you lot.

Comment

Originally posted by randombs View Post
      Pacific Rim: Uprising

Complete rubbish with no redeeming features. I didn’t even pause it when getting socks from the bedroom.

I was just waiting for it to finish so I could go to sleep. Night night, you lot.
      Yeah it's an utterly forgettable film. The gulf between this and the first is vast.

Comment

No ship being smacked into a monsters face then... given that was the originals only redeeming feature

Blade Runner 2049
        Finally - finally got around to watching this and... well, they don't make 'em like this anymore do they? The plot felt mostly just okay, however the visuals and directing is off the charts good. There's barely a frame that doesn't look stunning. In terms of it vs the original, I feel the original is the better film in terms of the story being told and memorable moments, nothing here rivals the infamous 'I've seen' scene for example and I didn't finish it feeling like I'd particularly want to watch it again in future but as a first time experience it's beyond so much of what comes out, they've clearly spent a lot of time making a very carefully considered end product with immense care and attention put into it. The main thing I wasn't a fan of was the ending - it felt like they were going for some sort of open ended, mysterious, enigmatic finale but in reality it felt unfinished and never-coming sequel baiting. In any case, very much worth a few hours of anyone's time.

Comment

Pacific Rim: Uprising - Agreed, it was a massive let down. It felt like an extended Power Rangers episode. The robots had no heft and there felt like there was no peril. Perfectly watchable, but easily skipable.

Blade Runner 2069 - You're right. You could freeze-frame it at any moment and have a glorious desktop background picture. Content is OK. I think it needs a rewatch. I want to get the 3D version as I can imagine that's eye-popping.

I had a mate over and we watched Mindhorn (Amazon Prime). The premise is that the star of an 80s detective show has fallen on hard times and when a serial killer demands to speak to his character, he seems an opportunity to get back in the limelight.
          It was fun to watch and has lots going for it like the cast (Julian Barratt, Simon Farnaby, Russell Tovey, Essie Davis and Steve Coogan), the Isle of Wight location, the fun premise, the cheesy flashbacks and the gentle humour.

The character is a bit frustrating because he's so delusional about his status. I was constantly willing him to acknowledge he's made a lot of mistakes and needs to make amends to redeem himself. Director Sean Foley calls it a story in which “an arsehole realises that he’s an arsehole”.

It's a character piece, though, and Coogan's appearance in this sends vibes of Partridge. If you liked Alpha Papa, you'll probably like this too. It also felt a bit like Garth Merenghi's Darkplace at times when they play clips of the old show. There's a hint of Hot Fuzz with the small-town police mentality at work and Barratt reminds me a bit of Simon Peggs' mannerisms.

What I'm trying to say is that it's not a major event movie, but it's very British and the whole film flew by with us chuckling throughout, but not roaring with laughter.

My fave scene was the shootout that invades a float parade and the announcer thinks it's part of the show and narrates the whole fight.

It's also worth watching the credits for the brilliant song "You Can't Handcuff The Wind".

Comment

Wayched a movie called Wyrmwood: Road Of The Dead earlier, it was on Film4 a brief bit back.

Actually not bad. But didn't quite know what it wanted to be, tone was all over the place but it was never boring and ends at the point about three minutes after it starts to.

Aussie movie, kind of a zombie Mad Max crossed with State Of Decay type of affair, with added elements of Evil Dead and Peter Jackson, kinda a road movie in its own way but it feels like a shortish road.

Cast is all good, it looks great at many points, just has an uneven-feeling tone and a lot of CGI gunshots (nah) but thankfully a lot of practical effects.

Watch it, you might really like it, I thought it like a 6.8/10 "surprisingly decent".

Comment

I also quite liked Wyrmwood, but agree with your description of it not 100% knowing what it wants to be and where it's going.

I rewatched The Matrix over the last few nights.
              I'd not seen it for aaaages after over-watching the VHS when it came out.
              Yikes, it's still a brilliant, brilliant film.
              So fun to watch on the big(ish) screen again. I know most of the lines, but it was great to see how visual the whole thing is.
              That whole final section is just a massive thrill ride - Morpheus kidnap, lobby scene, helicopter, subway fight, agent chase, death, "No".

I then started The Matrix: Reloaded. I think it gets unnecessary hate and it gets lumped in with Revolutions, but I love it.
              It's not perfect, but the action is top-notch. I love the concept of the Burly Brawl and love the delivery apart from the CGI bits, which although I didn't see at the time, are really noticeable now.
              It's not very often a fight has much of a narrative, it's just two dudes punching, but I love how more and more Smiths enter the fray, take over agents and Neo has to adapt to survive.

Then I got to the next roller coaster ride: Merovingian meeting, Key Maker rescue, Chateau Fight, Freeway Chase, Morpheus truck fight and Neo rescue. Just brilliant.

I'll confess that I broke and fast-forwarded the Zion rave/sex scene. I still can't watch it!

I'll finish it at the weekend, but Revolutions is such an unsatisfactory ending to the series, so might avoid that.
              Everybody I care about dies, Morpheus stops being interesting, the nightclub fight is a rehash of the Lobby/Chateau fights, Neo is in a train station for an hour and Neo never satisfactorily defeats Smith. The Super Burly Brawl looks epic, but plays out like Super Smash Bros/Newton's Cradle.

I've got some DVD boxset that has years of extras on it!

Comment

Necessary. It gets necessary hate, QC.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                  Necessary. It gets necessary hate, QC.
                  You betta get outta my grill with that talk, punk.

Comment

There was a decent French House outfit called Chateau Flight back in the earlyish noughties, I had several of their compositions and they were funky.

I wonder if they got their name from the 'Chateau Fight' mentioned above????

(I'm the man who doesn't talk Brexit, I instead talk about things like that.)

Comment

Speed. Haven't watched it in full for nearly 10 years or something. What a film

Comment

Just watched The Hateful Eight on Netflix. Absolute bloody rubbish.

Really couldn't see the point of the movie nor thought the movie did, they just put loads of crap in a stew and hoped it'd taste nice. And it's very loooooooong. Jesus.

Comment

Solo: a Star Wars story.

100 times better than the absolute pish that is epp 7&8.

Great film.

Comment

Dunkirk
                            Another backlog movie done and... it was okay? Nicely shot as is Nolan's trait but flat, didn't feel like it sold the situation that well either due to his other film making trait of his films feeling emotionally dead. I don't know, it was easy enough to watch through, I just felt like it underplayed the story a lot, little sense of how dire a situation they were looking at. I think the grand ambitions of his last few films mask the cracks and the simpler nature of Dunkirk struggles under those conditions.

Halloween H40
                            For want of a better way of pointing out this is the new movie that replaces Halloween II onwards in the canon. Hats off for trying to mimmick the old films, from the opening credits it feels like a natural extension, that vibe only slipping as it slips into Terminator 2 territory once Laurie and Michael are on a path to one another. I won't go into any specifics, just leave it that this film does suitably replace the rest of the canon and creates a fitting full stop to the original film. As per its McBride origins, it has some poorly judged humour in places but hold back enough to keep the focus on the concept of PTSD and urban mythology driving some of the events. It does not - does not - leave things in a strong position for the already talked about new Halloween III though, the biggest hurdle is that whilst this film works it's a successful extension of a horror from 40 years ago meaning it isn't scary in the slightest because Myers is so chronically dated. He only works as an unstoppable threat, something Jason delivers more effectively. So, worth seeing for franchise fans but more as a proper wrap up than a revival.

Venom

Ah, I'm going to describe this the best way I can but it'll immediately kill interest for many. I accept Suicide Squad is flawed but I enjoy it, it's a simple action film that I find likeable enough under the basis that not every superhero film has to be benchmark setting, some can just be guilty pleasures. Venom is like that. I'm not precious about Venom at all as a character, I see the appeal but he's just never been as present in the media to me enough for me to feel attached so I can take this more for what it is. The film contains no links to Homecoming or the MCU, the only slight Spider-verse link is JJ Jameson III in the original and nods to Brock being chased out of New York. The film is a very simple and somewhat retro superhero flick, it gets away with a surprising amount of violence and swearing - I honestly don't think pushing for an 18 rating would add that much to the film. Hardy's accent remains weird but the banter between him and symbiote is solid and provides much of the fun in the film. There are lots of loose ends and ways they could easily weave the more usual Spider-Man angle in later on but for what it is we enjoyed this enough.

Comment

I finished off The Matrix Reloaded and, screw the haterz, I still love it.

Yeah, yeah, I know what's wrong with it, but I don't care as there's more to love.

Interestingly, I recently read that Jet Li refused to play the part of Seraph because he didn't want his moves scanned and replicated.

"“It was a commercial struggle for me,” Li said, “I realized the Americans wanted me to film for three months but be with the crew for nine. And for six months, they wanted to record and copy all my moves into a digital library. By the end of the recording, the right to these moves would go to them.”

Li did not want to sell his martial arts moves to be used and repurposed by others in the future, so he made the decision not to play Seraph. “I was thinking: I’ve been training my entire life. And we martial artists could only grow older,” he said. “Yet they could own [my moves] as an intellectual property forever. So I said I couldn’t do that.”"

I realised that I'd never watched the film with the commentary on, which is unusual for me as I love a yak track.
                              First one is a pair of philosophers discussing the various imagery and deeper elements of the film, but the other one is a bunch of critics who liked The Matrix (apart from some things like calling the music in the Lobby Scene "banal"), but hated Reloaded.
                              I stepped in at the Burly Brawl, hoping to find some insights into the sequence, but they just spent the whole thing slagging it off, then the rest of the film.

What's the point in that? 2+ hours of people bitching and moaning without providing any useful information, just their own over-inflated opinion of why they don't like it.
                              If I wanted that, I'd sit and watch it with [MENTION=3144]Dogg Thang[/MENTION].

Reviewed by Colin Jacobson: It may not pack the innovative punch of its predecessor, but The Matrix Reloaded creates a powerful flick on its own. Inconsistent but ultimately satisfying, it leaves me wanting more and anxious for the final chapter in the trilogy. The Blu-ray presents very good picture and sound plus a broad, informative set of supplements. ItÂ’s unquestionably the best home video version of the film and a good upgrade for fans who already own the DVD. Starring Keanu Reeves, Laurence Fishburne. Warner, $24.98, 9/7/2010.

Comment

Ha! You know we'd have fun.

Comment

Working...
                                X