This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
    They actually spent a lot of time and money scanning the set and the actors to recreate it digitally.
    The set itself is still convincing, but the actors suffer from Uncanny Valley, where's the something not quite right.
    For me, it's Keanu's clothing. It seems to lose its texture and appears smooth.

The scans of the actors are incredibly realistic though.
    Yeah, that kind of stuff. Where did the limitations lie? Were the animators just not experienced enough to make the fighting look more realistic? Were the physics simulations not as complex as what is available now? Were the textures fine but the rendering software was to blame? Was it simply an issue of rendering time available?

Suppose the entire scene was to be re-rendered now using current technology but at the same detail level. It would probably finish a lot more quickly, meaning they could make more adjustments until it looked better. If a scene is going to take a week to render, you'll naturally reach a point where you say "it looks good enough". If that same scene now takes a few days, that's a few more chances to say "let's sort that bit out".

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
    That sort can happen now in some cases. I always had issue with the Skyline in the last shot of Blade Runner (when the Dove fly's up) and so thankful that was sorted out with the remaster a few years back . I then look at Jurassic Park and T2 at their effects still hold up even today and don't need to be redone - Quite remarkable given their age.
    I used to think that but now I'm not so sure. The Brachiosaurus scene looks quite rough these days, especially when Alan is pointing at it from below. T2's effects are great for the time but I think they'd benefit from the advancements in rendering technology. Also, the T-1000 walking animation is really wonky when he's liquid metal.

As for Blade Runner, you're right. But I think remasters are performed on the final product, so they have to be careful and mask off things they don't want to touch. If they had access to the original layers(plates?), they could just edit the sky by itself and leave the other layers alone. I guess what I'm imagining is the film equivalent of DJ stems for songs.

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
    Remember how great it was when Han stood on Jabba’s tail?
    That was stunningly bad. What's worse is they really didn't need to do it. I doubt anyone would have seriously considered Hutt's tail in the scene. Han's movement reminds me of when I used to mess around with Windows Movie Maker, moving objects around the screen in front of filmed video. So jar-jarring.

Comment

The Ritual
      It was okay, the banter and the dynamic of the central four guys works well and single handedly carries the film as the horror elements generally fall flat.

Comment

Originally posted by randombs View Post
        So jar-jarring.
        Nice!

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
          The Ritual
          It was okay, the banter and the dynamic of the central four guys works well and single handedly carries the film as the horror elements generally fall flat.
          I watched this with mates and we thought it was good.
          They really did have a rubbish holiday!
          There's a pretty persistent feel of dread throughout and the reveal was pretty unique, I thought.

Comment

I liked that they didn't overplay the set up either, the main guy gets caught in a really bad situation at the start and whilst it feels like a constant background driving force behind the plot they play it off as an understandable reaction on his behalf and something the others don't hold over him except for that one moment. They could have milked that a lot more but it would have spoiled the dynamic they have.

Comment

It reminded me of The Descent a little bit with a few plot parallels, but it's definitely its own story.
              The lead (Rafe Spall) is racked with guilt and suspects their resentment and you can tell it controls his every decision in the group, even before it all goes tits-up ("Let's take a shortcut through those woods").
              You wonder how long it will be before somebody really does use that resentment against him or if he just thinks they resent him.

Agreed, a convincing cast and fraught relationship with each other is a commendable element of this.

Comment

Originally posted by randombs View Post
                I used to think that but now I'm not so sure. The Brachiosaurus scene looks quite rough these days, especially when Alan is pointing at it from below. T2's effects are great for the time but I think they'd benefit from the advancements in rendering technology. Also, the T-1000 walking animation is really wonky when he's liquid metal.
                I was never have with the Brachiosaurus skin texture and use of colour in either the 1st film or in SEGA's Lost World Light gun tbh. But most of the film I see no need to be redone, and the T-Rex chase scene still to this day looks amazing. T2 still holds up really well.
                There are films though that even that they are practical, I would love to see CGI added to make them that little better. I love Evil Dead II but the stop motion dance sequence (impressive has it is) looked wonky back in the day and looks utterly terrible now.

As for Blade Runner, you're right. But I think remasters are performed on the final product, so they have to be careful and mask off things they don't want to touch. If they had access to the original layers(plates?), they could just edit the sky by itself and leave the other layers alone. I guess what I'm imagining is the film equivalent of DJ stems for songs
                Good point, But Riddly also used CGI to help enhance lighting in scene's like when you 1st see Rachel, so he could Improve the lighting and get that Film noir look, he was really going for.

Comment

Perfect timing. Event Horizon US bluRay arrived today from the UK. Kind of odd plus it was ordered from Amazon Japan. Anyway, just in time for Halloween night.
                  Many of the special effects have held up well although some of the CGI looks dated now. I also remember the film being more gorry than it was. Just shows how much more we accept these days. In the extras they talk about having to cut a lot of the gore and that Paramount wanted it yo be a PG. Yeah, right. The film would have been awful as a PG.
                  Now in 2018, I still think it's worth a watch.

Comment

I went to a mate's house and we watched The Fog, Carpenter's ode to ghost stories.

It still holds up well, despite the smattering of horror movie logic.

The fog effects are still a great way to hide the terrors rising up through the tide.

Some fun facts:
                    'The Fog,' John Carpenter's eerie 1980 crowd-pleaser, overcame its tiny budget and DIY production to become a huge hit, earning 20 times what it cost to make.

There's a great homage to this film by British rockers, Orange Goblin:

Comment

Cabin Fever 3: Patient Zero.

Eeeeeeeh. :/

Comment

A Quiet Place

Watched it at the cinema last night with the wifey. Jumping about the place, we were. So wickedly, deliciously tense I almost did my neck in.

After a while, every time a monster appeared I'd notice my wife throwing up her hands to say 'ffs, not again!' and it made me laugh throughout the rest of the film.

But despite all that, she's decided we should watch a horror film at the cinema each Halloween. She's starting to enjoy the adrenalin rush

Comment

Man on Fire So so good. Scott and Washington in top form. Love this movie.

Comment

Some more HDR love, Looking forward to watching 2001 latter on and still trying to work out what the hell the film is on about .

So wish its overlooked and underrated sequel 2010, would get 4K HDR remaster too: Love that film and its amazing effects

Comment

Just watched another strange one I taped off The Horror Channel a few weeks back, See No Evil 2, a WWE-made slasher movie starring Kane.

It starts off with a bang, a great location, superb lighting that channels the best survival horror games, dark but visible, striking, stark, atmospheric. Great actors, nice mid-80s feel with some sleazy sleaze (a couple shag in the morgue, though she jokily fake-rides Kane's corpse first to make her beau well jel). And then these AMAZINGLY gory flashbacks, obviously from the first movie, looks INSANE...

...and then there's virtually no gore, bar the flashbacks. It's freaky. The flashbacks wazz all over the rest of what the sequel has in it, it feels like a drop from an 18 to a 12.

Kane is bloody ace as a physical presence, he just slams folk about in an incredible manner, like they are coats at TK Maxx. He's a brill baddie but his actions feel so sanitised.

What an odd one. I quite liked it but it was anaemic, the hospital setting is brill.

Am curious about the orig, apparently it came out 8yrs prior, interest is piqued, I've heard it's gory but bad, whereas this is not that gory but quite nicely filmed.

I'm thinking that if the third were ever extant then it would ideally be a happy medium with the gore of the first made with the skill of the second. But I need to see the first, first. I am sadly not in control of these things. Vince McMahon is, and I'm not messin' wi that.

And then I watched the first two eps of Inside No. 9, all preceded by an ep of Claimed And Shamed. Crazy viewing tonite.
                              Last edited by JazzFunk; 03-11-2018, 01:35.

Comment

And the last ep of Four In A Bed.

I don't even know why glamping sites bother going on that show.

Comment

Working...
                                X