Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Watched Candyman last night and it was nothing like I was expecting. I remember seeing the trailer when it first came out and dismissed it as just another 90s slasher flick. But it's quite different ... slowly paced and thoughtfully made. Ace Philip Glass soundtrack too. Enjoyed it

Comment

I remember it being very classy when I saw it years back, deffo a good movie. Sequel wasn't bad, either, if not really a patch on the first one. Funnily enough, your post got me craving a rewatch of the Wishmaster series...

Comment

Rewatched the original 1978 Dawn Of The Dead tonite, I always think you SEE Roger getting shot with a bloody raspberry splash headshot but it's Flyboy who has the raspberry headsploish. It just cuts away with Rog. Funny how the mind works but it makes sense.

Did notice Arrow version truncates a severed zombie hand effect when they're blocking the mall door with trucks.

But so many different versions of this movie, I used to have a copy of the Dutch uncut way back and it had loads more in it, even if it was primarily dialogue, this was deffo the shorter cut.

Comment

"met nederlands ondertitel" or summat like that.

In English but with Dutch subs.

Comment

Originally posted by JazzFunk View Post
            Rewatched the original 1978 Dawn Of The Dead tonite, I always think you SEE Roger getting shot with a bloody raspberry splash headshot but it's Flyboy who has the raspberry headsploish. It just cuts away with Rog. Funny how the mind works but it makes sense.

Did notice Arrow version truncates a severed zombie hand effect when they're blocking the mall door with trucks.

But so many different versions of this movie, I used to have a copy of the Dutch uncut way back and it had loads more in it, even if it was primarily dialogue, this was deffo the shorter cut.
            It’s such great movie; with an insane amount of cuts - you should track down the Argento cut, with the full goblin soundtrack or the ultimate final cut, which inclues material from all versions, running at 156 mins! Personally, i’m A big fan of the directors cut (prob the the version on your old Dutch dvd - 139 mins)

Comment

Bohemian Rhapsody
              Mmmm. I wasn’t too keen on going to see this but a few people I spoke to enjoyed it and I was at a loose end last night. It’s not terrible but it is pretty mediocre. Good performances from the guys playing Mercury and May but it feels like a big budget TV movie. I’m a big Queen fan so already know a lot of the history which probably coloured my perceptions of the film to an extent. It starts off quite well but descends into melodrama and really messes with the timeline of the actual events to force a false conclusion on the film. We’ll never know what John Deacon makes of this but he gets a short shrift for most of the film almost coming across as the comic relief.
              The recreation of Live Aid is well done but it does lay it on a bit thick with the viewers reactions. After losing its way prior to that it almost redeems itself with an undoubted highlight.

I would recommend to avoid this if you’re a real Queen fan.

Comment

Couple tonight, will kick off with....

....The Ghoul. Directed by the guy who played Gog in Peep Show and The Priest in Kill List, Gareth Tunley he's called. Kill List guy (Ben Wheatley) is involved as well. It's a strange one, it's what I call a 'mystery movie' in my mind, it's kinda nondescript but it channels Mulholland Drive/The Machinist but with a mood akin to a bastard son of Tony London Serial Killer and Kill List itself. But a 15. It's not really a violent kinda movie.

It's really odd. Once I'd watched it, I thought it was OK but a bit crap, I really didn't think I'd want to watch it once more but a few hours afterwards I wanna watch it again and I'm thinking about its madness!

See whatcha think. It's gone up from a 6.9/10 to an 8.7/10 in my head over the last coupla hours purely through thinking about the mystery.

Also watched a movie called White Settlers, it's about a young, moneyed couple from daaarn saaaarf buying a lovely phat cottage in the Scottish sticks. I won't give owt else away but it goes all teats-up, you just KNOW it, innit.

It's low budget as futch but god it's brilliantly suspenseful and tense in the earlier bits. I've seen all the clichés before, I'm a jaded moviegoer but this really proper clicks, the atmosphere is spot-on, which is why I'll recommend it. It's got eerie elements and the bit with the toothbrush in the car channeled Silent Hill 2 for me.

Two great, weird movies tonight. British movies as well, both which I've never heard of but am glad I have watched! Brit bonanza!!!

Comment

Another off THC. The Possession Of Michael King.

A man's wife dies and he blames it on some advice given to her by a medium. He then confronts medium, tells her it's all BS and what a lying tw@ she is then decides to try and find if there's any concrete proof for the existence of demons n' stuff. And ends up getting possessed by a demon after summoning a demon.

It was decent. I was expecting it to be cark but it's another decent little movie off that there Horror Channel, I'm getting more hits than misses with it these days...

Comment

Started watching something called 'The Appearing' starring Dean 'TV Superman' Cain. It's generic and appalling. I managed twenty minutes then switched it off and cranked up the first ep of Masterchef: The Professionals instead.

Much much better, plus with the multi-squid dissections and the wagyu cutlet, it had more gore.

Comment

They were also doing cauliflower steaks. I've never ever been interested in them before because it's just a slice of cauliflower, innit?

But they looked futching DELISHIZZ!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by JazzFunk View Post
                        They were also doing cauliflower steaks. I've never ever been interested in them before because it's just a slice of cauliflower, innit?

But they looked futching DELISHIZZ!!!!
                        I never knew cauliflower steaks was a thing. Wife always has low-carb/no-carb dinners so I'll definitely try making some soon!

Comment

Confucius

I was hoping this would be a movie about Confucian philosophy and wisdom but it's really just a war movie and when it does focus on Confucius, it highlights the man himself rather than his teachings. It's still an okay movie, and a very sad one, but I was hoping for something a little deeper and illuminating, something more like the 1971 movie 'Socrates'. I suppose those kinda movies don't sell as many tickets.

Comment

I went to see Bohemian last night (opened in Japan on 9th November) and absolutely loved it. I was also very surprised that they didn't use stock queen music. They actually re-recorded everything with some very convincing vocals. Loved everything about it. The story, the pace and of course, the music.

also loved the addition of Kenny Everat in to the movie. Well, someone playing Kenny.
                            My mate and I must have been the only two in the entire cinema who knew who Kenny was.

Comment

The Nightmare on Elm Street
                              The original, looking back I honestly have no idea how you could make a new film and make Freddy scary whilst keeping him Freddy. The film is such an immense amount of cheese and has dated so horrifically. There's still some appeal to it but definitely one of the least effective major horrors of its era.

Comment

The soundtrack doesn’t help matters. I think the film would jump in tension if it had a soundtrack overhaul.

Comment

Working...
                                X