This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guardians of the Galaxy
    Still the absolute boss sub series of the MCU. It's had quite a few rewatches in its three plus years and never loses it's quality.

Avengers: Age of Ultron
    Still a drop in quality compared to the first but this time I got along with it much better than I have in the past. It's a bit 'bad guy of the week', never really paying off the team up or the sense of event, but solid enough.

Ant Man
    Another one that I enjoyed more this time compared to past viewings even if it is still a bit of a minor note in the overall MCU.

Comment

Akira and They Live.

I'll write more about They Live later, but it was a real treat to go back to watching Akira after all these years.
      I've got the Steelbook Blu-Ray (and DVD and VHS somewhere!), so it's a nice crisp print (although some of the subtitles are different from the VHS I wore out).

The first thing that struck me was how this thing was hand drawn.
      These days, it'd either be shipped off to Korea or animated with computers, but I was astonished the detail of every frame when you think somebody had to draw it.
      It's packed full of visual treats.

I only meant to re-watch the opening bike chase, but decided to catch the whole thing.

It's still mesmerising and I can enjoy more of the plot as an adult, rather than just the cool bike fights.
      It's a little confusing, still, but I think that's part of its charm.

It's a lot funnier than I remember, with Kaneda being a pretty humorous character, either on the pull, pretending to be well-behaved, cussing Tetsuo or dodging falling SOL debris.

Also, I realised that these events are about to happen NEXT YEAR!

Comment

scrabbling for stuff to watch for a friday night film night with the kids and despite hearing how bad it was we settled down to watch the Emoji movie, buckle up because how bad can it be? jesus h christ this film is bad its like one big advert after another for popular mobile games and apps, the level of product placement in this is shameless.

The plot revolves around the Meh emoji not wanting to be Meh, the smile emoji who for some reason is in charge try's to erase Meh as he is obviously defective and could corrupt the phone. so the adventure begins with them off to find a hacker in the jailbreak app to help them travel to Dropbox™ to escape the phone. tension is added by having a sub plot where the kid who's phone there running about in is off to the phone shop to erase his phone because the Meh emoji was a smile wink thing instead of a meh.

so meh travels though a number of popular mobile phone games and apps with the high five emoji and a hacker while being chased by virus software hell bent on erasing him. Upon escaping the messenger app and a brief stop in the jailbreak app to pick up more characters, where thrown straight into Candycrush™ where they have to play their way through a game to free Meh from the board. Following this they then move through Facebook™ for no reason, and into Just Dance™ where they are forced to dance there way through by some giant Katie Perry looking avatar thing.

We take a break in the action for a heartwarming trip down memory lane into Instagram™ and then into a chase scene by doing a bit of stream surfing through Spotify™ we eventually get to Dropbox before the film decides they need to go back to the messenger app because now instead of erasing the main character the virus software captures the main character and his buddys must go and save him. They do this by flying back to the messenger app on the Twitters™ corporate logo a giant blue bird.

Patrick Stewart plays a Poo Emoji that is used for very obvious toilet humor, and James Corden plays an obnoxious highfive emoji if you needed any other reason to not watch this travesty of a movie.
        Last edited by Lebowski; 26-02-2018, 10:57.

Comment

Just finished watching Baby Driver with the missus.

It was okay. Action and audio editing were exceptional. I can't help but feel it needed more driving.

Comment

Thor Ragnarok.

Saw this at the flicks and enjoyed it just as much the second time around. Still funny, but darker in outcome than I remembered. Not nearly as ill-balanced as the detractors claim, nor does it lack sincerity and heart.

Comment

Originally posted by prinnysquad View Post
              Laughing Gravy is on tomorrow morning, too :-)
              I forgot about Ollie barking behind the bush ... quality

Comment

So far this weekend I have watched Zoolander 2, which simply could not have been worse, and John Wick which was excellent. Both my wife and I could relate to John Wick very directly, me over the thought of having my dog killed and her over the thought of having her car stolen. So it worked for both of us.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                  I forgot about Ollie barking behind the bush ... quality
                  Them Thar Hills is about to start!

Have you seen the alternative ending to Laughing Gravy?

Comment

Originally posted by prinnysquad View Post
                    Have you seen the alternative ending to Laughing Gravy?
                    I haven't. I'll have to hunt it out.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                      I haven't. I'll have to hunt it out.
                      This bloke explains it. https://conradbrunstrom.wordpress.co...ng-gravy-1931/
                      Interesting that it’s loosely seen as a ‘sequel’ to Be Big.

Edit: wow - this one IS the alternative ending!

I’m still waiting for someone, somewhere, to say they have Hats Off. The negative must be shot to bits by now.

Watching Laughing Gravy again, it’s such an atmospheric little number, especially with the snow hanging around for days on end. I feel the same way about Below Zero - it’s always been one of my favourites, for atmosphere as much as laughs.

Black and white films knew how to create a certain type of atmosphere with lighting, and the iffy sound recording equipment only added to that. I know two people who refuse to watch black and white films for no other reason than they’re black and white. It’s such a shame and so narrow minded. I’d hate to see 50 years of films lost because modern generations are so stubborn and ignorant. Stan and Ollie films are utterly timeless in their suitability for the whole family, and the humour still works well today.
                      Last edited by prinnysquad; 04-03-2018, 10:14.

Comment

The Shape of Water

Enjoyed it, a bit different and odd with a range of characters I like.
                        Similar vein to Edward Scissor-hands with the director's mark all over it.
                        Thumbs up, still think Pan's Labyrinth is far superior to it though (though it is to many, many films)

Didn't help someone has obviously been sick in the showing before ours, and when we left someone did it just outside the exit.

Comment

Man, how intense was that film if it made two people throw up?!

Comment

Black Panther

Or to give it its Japanese title, BURAKKU PANSAAAAA.

Wonderful. I much prefer these side-stories(GotG, Ant-Man) to the main MCU entries because I'm really losing track of everything and in turn losing the motivation to claw my way back in. But this is the sort of thing that makes me glad Marvel got the rights back to their shizzle.

Where the Wild Things Are

The music was rolling around in my head recently and I wanted to re-watch this with my wife. We managed to catch it on the day it was being removed from Hulu. In fact, we finished it at 1am the next day and got a 'page not found' error when it finished

Lovely film, and so beautiful to look at.

Crazy Stupid Love

Wanted some light comedy on Saturday night so went for this over Horrible Bosses. Ryan Gosling is proper gorge.

Bad Moms Christmas.

I liked it.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                              Man, how intense was that film if it made two people throw up?!
                              There were a few gut wrenching/ uncomfortable bits in the film.

Not exactly plot spoilers but i'll spoiler tag them anyway

Like in Pan's Labyrinth, there is at least one intense torture scene

A guy gets shot through the face, which another guy proceeds to hook his hand through and drag him across the floor before interigating

Early on in the film a guy loses two fingers which get found and re-attached but do not heal correctly. The wound bleeds on and off throughout the film, at one time he pops pus out of it and, predictably, in an interrogation he ripped these rotten digits off and throws them across the room

Last edited by Blobcat; 05-03-2018, 17:20. Reason: spelling

Comment

Loving the Laurel and Hardy talk

It's one of our family traditions. I'm so grateful to have parents who love things like that and the Marx Brothers.

Comment

Working...
                                X