This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
    More Billy Wilder (after watching The Apartment a few weeks back) ...

Double Indemnity - classic film noir set up of a (fairly) good guy getting drawn into something bad. Top notch stuff.
    Billy Wilder is wonderful. Have you seen Ace in the Hole?

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
      Billy Wilder is wonderful. Have you seen Ace in the Hole?
      I haven't but I'll be sure to check it out. Cheers

Comment

Predator
        Still some choice moments and well done, weirdly the Predator itself was the least interesting part this time out. I had much more fun simply following Arnie and his crew trying to out butch each other.

Monster Family
        Absolutely awful. Awful voicing with a minimal effort story of a family cursed to turn into monsters simply so Dracula can get it on with the Mum. For some bizarre reason it's set in New York yet every single person specs in a clear and irritating British accent too, just outright poor as a film.

Falling Down
        The 90's Michael Douglas movie about a stressed guy who finally snaps. It's quite amusing at first, watching him rock scissor paper himself up in weaponry throughout his day but it becomes fairly stupid around 2/3's of the way in and loses you because of it.

The Shape of Water
        A film that's more than the sum of it's parts. It's probably best watching this whilst putting it's Oscars performance out of mind, it's a level of success that brings scrutiny with it. The film touches on a racism, homophobia, domestic abuse, disability and gender discrimination and that for me was a niggle I had with it as 'touches on' is too accurate a description, it's like a series of check boxes being ticked as it helps paint a reflection of the era but nothing gets looked into too deeply. I felt the same about the central love story, it hits the beats but never engages. The overall arc is very simplistic and unoriginal, but more importantly it never sold itself to me. A lot has gone on the imagery, again nice if taken from a ton of other sources. It makes you wish for that Bioshock adaptation though. The key weak point, a brief and nails and a chalkboard musical moment. It was an enjoyable watch, I wouldn't push anyone against watching it, but I don't feel it's a particularly memorable one.

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post

The Shape of Water
          A film that's more than the sum of it's parts. It's probably best watching this whilst putting it's Oscars performance out of mind, it's a level of success that brings scrutiny with it. The film touches on a racism, homophobia, domestic abuse, disability and gender discrimination and that for me was a niggle I had with it as 'touches on' is too accurate a description, it's like a series of check boxes being ticked as it helps paint a reflection of the era but nothing gets looked into too deeply. I felt the same about the central love story, it hits the beats but never engages. The overall arc is very simplistic and unoriginal, but more importantly it never sold itself to me. A lot has gone on the imagery, again nice if taken from a ton of other sources. It makes you wish for that Bioshock adaptation though. The key weak point, a brief and nails and a chalkboard musical moment. It was an enjoyable watch, I wouldn't push anyone against watching it, but I don't feel it's a particularly memorable one.
          It's no Pan's Labyrinth, eh? I think Three Billboards was robbed of an Oscar.

Comment

Originally posted by Zaki Matar View Post
            I think Three Billboards was robbed of an Oscar.
            It's an opinion I've heard more than once, but I think in years to come The Shape of Water will be remembered long after Three Billboards has been forgotten about.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
              It's an opinion I've heard more than once, but I think in years to come The Shape of Water will be remembered long after Three Billboards has been forgotten about.
              I really liked The Shape of Water, but Three Billboards left a bigger impression on me.

Who knows, maybe I'm suffering from premature adulation

Comment

Originally posted by Zaki Matar View Post
                maybe I'm suffering from premature adulation
                Something I've never been guilty of

Comment

TOP GUN!!!!

Finally saw this!

Great stuff. So nice seeing actual planes flying around. Looking forward to the sequel.

Comment

Cruising through Oscar fodder...

I, Tonya. Creasing hilarity and a superb MOR soundtrack, deffo will be in my top 5 come years end.

Shape of Water, much better than I thought it would be as Del Toro fantasies often leave me wanting, story is extremely straight forward tho wonderfully shot, styled and cast.

Comment

Watched a heap of films on the plane:

Thor - still one of my fave Marvel movies, Branagh did a sterling job

Thor Ragnarok - loved the cameos with

Pitt, Neill and Damon

really enjoyed this one as well, Hulk was cool up there as the better of the marvel movies

Avengers Age of Ultron - finally started to piece together just what the hell was going on in these movies after watching this. An enjoyable movie but too many characters running around

Captain America Winter Solider - as I saw Civil War first this (and see above Avengers) I understand where some of the characters are coming from and Cap's views on the world. Again an enjoyable movie with some good action scenes, I quite like Steves loyalty to his mates.

Need to see Antman and Doctor Strange now....

Wonder Woman - pretty good, Gal Gadot is both stunning and charismatic - she is a great lead who can carry films that's for sure, though personally I though Chris Pine stole the movie. Liked the WW1 setting and the side kicks, some good action sequences.

Kingsman Golden Circle - nowhere near as good as the first one, was novel the way they bought back

Colin Firth

and he steals the movie (again). Not sure why Channing Tatum was promoted he was in it for like 5 mins! Julianne Moore was a suitably loony and sadistic baddie! Oh and how can I forget Elton John lol

Wind River - best movie I have seen for a long time. Fantastic performances from everyone but wow Jeremy Renner bloody superb. What a f**king great movie. All I can say is go and see it.

Murder on Orient Express - I love Branagh and he delivers both in the acting and directing. I haven't seen any of the other versions so I had no idea "whodunit" which I think is a good thing. The moustache steals the show! I thought this was good fun.

The Hitman's Bodyguard - hilarious Sam Jackson's best since forever. The chemistry between Sam and Ryan is great. A really good fun brainless movie.

Baby Driver - a nice surprise, good job from the whole cast. Some very cool driving and action sequences. Loved it.

Comment

How many times did you fly around the earth to fit that many movies in?

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                          How many times did you fly around the earth to fit that many movies in?
                          Home to Aus and back.Trust me it's hell if flying at the back of the plane!

Comment

Were you on an Oceanic flight trying to find The Island again?

Comment

Finsbury Girls mobile number: 4815162342

Comment

Comment

Working...
                                X