Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rewatched Phantasm. All I can say is that it's crazy, imaginative, vivid, and often feels like a Dave Lynch pic. It's kinda amazing.

BUT...it feels more like a collection of great moments more than a great movie as a whole. It's super-frazzled. I recently rewatched the original Evil Dead and was amazed by its cohesion, despite the madness. Whereas this is more an untidied madness.

It's brilliant, I'd recommend it if you want summat mad. I'll have to dig out the boxset, I had the 'ball' set back in the day but it just protruded everywhere and was just a really awkward item. I'd like to rewatch 2 and see all the rest that I haven't seen, The Tall Man is fun.

Comment

Skyscraper
      Well, it's no Die Hard. It's okay in a switch you brain off kind of way but it'll soon fade from memory.

Comment

Mission Impossible: Fallout 76

Tom Cruise running a lot. I kept giggling to myself that those scenes would become reality if he ever left Scientology. Wicked film with wicked stunts.

Comment

A Field in England.

Watched this again last night. Still one of my favourite films. It's cinema at it's best. A movie that doesn't treat its audience like fools. You're dropped in to witness events as they unfold and if you get it then you get it, and if you don't then you don't. No explanations forthcome. I like that style. I like movies to require a little thought, some wonder, to have some ambiguity. It's a sensory treat too with a very distinct look, sound and atmosphere. The big movies today are kept on a lead by the studios that finance them, if the directors and actors were different, you know the movies would be much the same because there is so little creativity or freedom of expression. They're corporate and shallow and designed, first and foremost, to make money. But this is true cinema, it's something the director, Ben Wheatley, has shaped in his vision. It's transporting. It's art.

I appreciate my opinion doesn't carry much weight here so here's Mark thingamajiggy's (the film critic who works for the BBC, you know) take on the movie:

Mark Kermode, that's it, yeah. I shoulda just read the video title. Man, I'm clever.
          Last edited by Zen Monkey; 21-08-2018, 12:53.

Comment

I saw Mark Kermode this morning. He looked like he was in no mood to say hello though.

Comment

Where did you see him? On TV?

Comment

Shutter Island
                Not seen this since the cinema release. It's decent but a bit flat on rewatch, the ending though... still gets you in the feels.

Comment

Watched Nic Cage The Wicker Man last night. It was OK. But merely that.

Then, tonight have watched The Ninth Gate, expecting it to be crap and not realising it was a Polanski movie until I saw the opening credits.

It was GREAT!!! It's like a big, colourful, Hitchcockian/Satanistic epic, in fact it reminded me of his own movie, Frantic, but with added splashes of Eyes Wide Shut and The Omen. It's bloody nuts, bang full of verve, has a great score and all the actors are ace, Frank Langella taking the cake.

It's like a satanic Frantic 2!!! Do you know how good Frantic was???!!!

Magnifico!!!

Comment

Just finished watching the Lego Batman movie. We started watching it last night but had to head to bed. Pretty good, not as good as the Lego movie, but good fun. We're trying to decide if it's worth watching the Ninjago one?

Comment

Originally posted by JazzFunk View Post
                      Watched Nic Cage The Wicker Man last night. It was OK. But merely that.

Then, tonight have watched The Ninth Gate, expecting it to be crap and not realising it was a Polanski movie until I saw the opening credits.

It was GREAT!!! It's like a big, colourful, Hitchcockian/Satanistic epic, in fact it reminded me of his own movie, Frantic, but with added splashes of Eyes Wide Shut and The Omen. It's bloody nuts, bang full of verve, has a great score and all the actors are ace, Frank Langella taking the cake.

It's like a satanic Frantic 2!!! Do you know how good Frantic was???!!!

Magnifico!!!
                      The ninth gate is a great show; definetly has that omen feel

Comment

We went with wonder woman. It's dirge. The gap between this and the marvel stuff is enormous.

Comment

Just got back from seeing The Incredibles 2

And it was , well, incredible! Quite tense in parts but felt it was a solid sequel. Only negative was I could see the 'twist' a mile off.

Seriously glad I saw it at the cinema, it was really fun and I loved the little dumpling story at the start!

Comment

Victoria and Abdul.

Intriguing.

Comment

My wife wants to watch that. Intriguing good or bad?

So after the abysmal Wonder Woman my wife insists we keep going with the DC thing so we stick justice league on. I see the two words that should strike fear in to cinema lovers everywhere. Zack. Snyder. I suffered through an hour and I’ve pulled the plug. Bedtime. I will not be resuming that viewing.

Comment

I liked Wonder Woman :-)

Victoria and Abdul is a pleasant watch. It can be warm and twee, but there’s an undercurrent of nastiness in it that reflects the racist, imperialist attitudes of the ruling class in Victorian England. Her family tried to airbrush his existence out of history, yet he was her dearest companion for the last decade and a half of her life. I found the overt racism quite difficult to watch, and as far as I can tell, it sticks to the facts quite closely. I gather it’s received some criticism for trivialising the occupation of India. I’m no expert on that period - they might be justified, but as an account of two people bonding irrespective of class, gender and race, it’s quite warming.

Comment

Working...
                                X