This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Way Out West (1937)

A timeless classic from the Boys. Stan and Ollie rock up at Brushwood Gulch to deliver a gold mine deed to a woman they’ve never met. James Finlayson and his wife con them out of it. Stan and Ollie have to steal it back.

What a fantastic way to spend 65 minutes. Three top songs showcasing their vaudeville heritage add lovely texture and likeability to their characters. The soft shoe shuffle to At The Ball, That’s All, beautifully sung by the Avalon Boys, is a piece of cinema history. It’s light, delicate, warm and assured, and a lovely change of pace, showing two creations at the apex of their game. The Trail of the Lonesome Pine and Dixie are nicely performed and prove that Hardy has a pleasant, harmonic voice in his repertoire.

The comedy is a mixture of one-liners (“Tell me about my dear, dear daddy. Is it true that he’s dead?” “Well we hope he is, they buried him.”), farce, slapstick and character. Great moments throughout, like the running gag with the water hole (which you can see coming from a mile off and is all the better for it), the lit thumb, the sequence trapped inside the grand piano, the efforts to get into the saloon (with flying mules, twisted heads, collapsing through a shed roof, etc), the awkwardness of the lads trying to pull Vivian Oakland in the stagecoach, and the efforts to get the deed off Stan by Sharon Lynn.

The music is great, the performances are brilliant (Finn is on TOP form, and the Sheriff is expertly cast) and the pacing perfect.

One of my favourite parts is when the Boys help the Sheriff’s wife from the stagecoach, only for her to clock her husband and grass them up for being annoying. The Sheriff grins at the Boys in a threatening laugh and says “Soooooo, fiddlin’ huh?”. Ollie smiles affirmatively then corrects himself to say that he wasn’t. The Sheriff ticks him off, telling him to get out of town on the next coach because they don’t like their kind round here, messing with their women. The close of the exchange is the Sheriff nodding and saying ‘Good day sir.’ Never really noticed it before, but it’s a lovely piece of old fashioned respect in an unpleasant situation for all concerned. That summarises this film neatly. Warm, even in its nastiest moments.

Special mention to Stan and Ollie flying down the stairs with the mule and crashing through the bannister. Hilarious. How the hell did they film that without causing an injury?
    Last edited by prinnysquad; 19-05-2018, 17:18.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
      I finished off Enter The Dragon (as Zodiac Tournament prep!).

They showed it on BBC2 as part of a martial arts evening once, and had a lovely guide by Bey Logan about some of the shooting locations and telling stories of what happened during filming.

I'm guessing this is a good approximation:

I like the story of them hiring a load of gangsters as extras and one guy saying Bruce isn't so tough, so Lee agrees that they can both take one hit at each other. The gangster punch and Lee shoulders the blow then Lee has a kick, but the guy doesn't feel anything.
      He goes to laugh and that's when his teeth fall out.

There's also a cheeky story of Lee claiming that he also wrote EtD, so the actual writers changed the name of Mr. Smith to Mr. Braithwaite, because they knew he'd struggle to pronounce it.

One of the things that cracks me up is the bit where Lee and Roper are taking part in Han's "edification" and Lee kicks some henchman's face about fifteen times and all the other kung fu guys are watching in stony-faced apprehension.

Apart from one guy who's loving watching Bruce in action:

Those are great stories, love the guy grinning. I love this film, it's one of my favourites and I never get tired of watching it. It's also really the only Bruce Lee film that's actually decent as a film. Such a shame he died young, I would've loved more like this.

"Slums are the same all over the world. They stink."

Comment

The Giant Gila Monster (1959)

Ray Kellogg scripted and directed B-movie, about various folk disappearing in a sleepy valley. Lampooned on Mystery Science Theater, but it’s not all bad. There’s a certain charm to its naivety, and the characters are actually likeable. The lead and the Sheriff are decent enough. The special effects are hyper-low budget, with model toys being obviously model toys, the Gila monster being a normal lizard filmed from below, and zero efforts to combine live action and the monster in the same shot. One effect featured the monster trying to break through a barn wall. You can just imagine the lizard handler ramming the poor sod’s head through a balsawood model.

A cheap, schlocky way to spend an hour and a quarter on a Saturday morning. I rather enjoyed it’s obvious cheapness and limitations. The direction is pacey and the atmosphere a pleasant window into a more innocent age. The dance just features youngsters dancing. No line of coke in the bogs. No perverse gyrating. No handjob in a dark corner. No rivers of piss in the bogs or ****e smeared on the mirror. You can tell it’s 50s milkshake bar America, not 2000s Spennymoor.
        Last edited by prinnysquad; 19-05-2018, 19:10.

Comment

I'm not sure if you've seen it, but the lost footage from Game of Death is worth watching.
          Basically, it's Lee's way of explaining Jeet Kune Do and how he believed following strict katas was restrictive and a fighter needs to adapt.
          "Be like water, my friend."
          (Also, there's a sweet nunchaku fight!)

Comment

Revenge (2017)

What a pointless and terrible "film"! It should have been called "90 Minutes With Matilda Anna Ingrid Lutz's Arse"

Are we supposed to be rooting for the "heroine"? Everyone is a douche bag in this movie.

And the rising like a phoenix symbolism.....oh dear you've been warned.

Comment

Deadpool. It was...decent. Found the main character irritating for 75% of the movie but liked him towards the end, I think Reynolds is great.

Made me titter at points, especially when his mate's telling him how ugly he looks.

Thing I didn't care much for was how it felt. It felt like all the movie took place on top of a motorway bridge.

But in the end there was quite a lot to like.

Comment

Jaws 3.

Bloody dreadful. Simon McCorkindale seems to swim into its mouth, where he gets crushed holding a grenade out. But not swallowed. So he’s just sat there, in its mouth, dead, arm rigidly thrust out, like some kind of salute. Someone else manages to hook the pin out, detonating it. Absolute twaddle.

However.... public amusement park with live exhibits going haywire? Attempting to capture and ‘train’ killers? Hello, Jurassic World!

Comment

And the greatest Western you've ever seen is...

Comment

Valley of the Gwangi, obviously.

Comment

"Cowboy James Franciscus seeks fame and fortune by capturing a Tyrannosaurus Rex living in the Forbidden Valley and putting it in a Mexican circus."

By capturing a Tyrannosaurus Rex?

Tyrannosaurus Rex???!!

Really? I was thinking of watching The Magnificent Seven (2016 remake) hence the question as I don't think I've ever watched a honest to goodness Western before.

Comment

I thought you were alluding to my Jaws 3 post about capturing a dangerous animal and putting it on public display...

The Great Silence is leftfield. Very bleak.

Dollars trilogy.
                        The Ox Bow Incident.
                        High Plains Drifter.
                        Last edited by prinnysquad; 20-05-2018, 20:21.

Comment

Terminator 2

Noticed this was on last Saturday late on ITV and set the recorder in the faint hope that since it was on late it might just be the uncut version I saw at the pictures on first release.
                          Oh yes indeedy, as soon as I saw the biker bloke bouncing around on his hands on top of the stove I knew I was in for a treat, also includes the sound error I noticed when Sarah Connor escapes and as a bonus hardly any adverts!

Forgot just how good this film is, some great lines and thinking about where AI could be going particularly with our American cousins quite thought provoking too.

Comment

Originally posted by replicashooter View Post
                            And the greatest Western you've ever seen is...
                            The Good, Bad and the Ugly.

Much prefer spaghetti's than the Hollywood ones.

Comment

Watched the Blues Brothers on ITV last night. Still one of my favourite movies. It has it all including a phenomenal soundtrack.

Worth watchin' just for this:

Comment

I watched Last Train to Busan (Amazon Prime Video), which is a Korean film about a group of passengers stuck on a train as a zombie outbreak takes place, but something infected snuck on...

Yeah, I really enjoyed this! It caught me a bit off-guard because it's up and chomping in quite a short amount of time and nobody is safe from the zombies with a pretty high death toll!

Some nice inventive ideas to zombie lore that makes for some tense sequences.
                                It's also light a lot of the time, so it doesn't use darkness for cheap scares.
                                Having the action primarily take place in the train is a clever trick too with the passengers having to get past carriages full of zombies to get to the others.

I find Asian CGI is a bit duff a lot of the time and you can spot it occasionally, but it's fairly serviceable.

Other than that it was good fun and worth watching if you like your zombie films.

Comment

Working...
                                X