Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Those are some great films you caught there and I'd agree that Wind River is a very decent film with great performances all-around (it was nice to see Jeremy Renner flex his acting skills and play this quieter and honest type of character).

I saw Murder on the Orient Express and quite enjoyed it. I often enjoy period-set films unless they have an epic-length runtime.

Is anyone planning to watch the filmAnihilation? I heard it got good reviews but want to make up my own mind about it.

Comment

I meant to add the music in Wind River, by Cave & Ellis absolutely superb.

@ Paddy, that's the new one on Netflix right? I've also heard good reviews....will add it to my ever growing list.

Comment

I've seen Annihilation.

I liked it, but didn't love it.
        I found the final section frustrating, but that doesn't mean that it's bad.

I love a good superhero popcorn blockbuster, but I'm also really pleased that films like this exist.

We should savour and absorb films that challenge us, make us think and stick with us.

Some of my most memorable films have been far from perfect, but their unusualness has made them memorable.

Comment

Just watched Sacha Baron Cohen's 'The Brothers Grimsby' (AKA 'Grimsby') on Netflix. It was staggeringly poor with only one laugh (Daniel Radcliffe catching HIV). And a surreal bit involving elephant sex.

But very, very poor. He used to be quite funny, as well.

Comment

The Daniel Radcliffe bit was the only bit that I genuinely LOL'd at. It reminded me of the sketch about good/ bad AIDS from Brasseye

Half watched it over Christmas as my sister was watching it. My mum came up to bring us cups of tea during the elephant bit which was hilarious (the situation, not the film plot)

Comment

Yeah, me too, I had the streaming tears!

Sadly, the ONLY laugh. I don't even know why Rebel Wilson was in it, though she actually did a much better Northerner impression than Baron Cohen did.

Comment

Planet of the Apes: Great War

What a way to end a consistently great trilogy. I quite liked that there was this Gollum-esque character not played by Andy Serkis

Comment

I watched Annihilation. Really liked it although came away with one very specific question about the ending that frustrated me because I don’t think the one thing that happened makes a huge amount of sense. But it’s possible I missed something. Anyway, still enjoyed it.

Comment

Laurel and Hardy Murder Case.

Never one of my favourites. However, watching it this morning, I enjoyed it on a whole new level. The reactions of the Boys to the situation had me laughing out loud several times, and grinning the rest of the time. The premise seems to be a take off of The Cat and the Canary. I wouldn’t consider it to be a quintessential Stan and Ollie, but as an odd distraction I found it immensely enjoyable.

Comment

Paddington 2.

Fun. It’s just happy and fun.

Comment

Full Metal Jacket

A 4/10 on a good day. What a mediocre film in so many respects. Can't believe the hype it gets as it's not a patch on Kubriks other works.

Comment

Re, Paddington 2. I watched that last Sunday. Great film. Like you say - so much fun. Really funny in places, too.

Comment

Originally posted by replicashooter View Post
                            Full Metal Jacket

A 4/10 on a good day. What a mediocre film in so many respects. Can't believe the hype it gets as it's not a patch on Kubriks other works.
                            Bull****. I bet you could suck a golf ball through a garden hose!

Comment

Originally posted by vanpeebles View Post
                              Bull****. I bet you could suck a golf ball through a garden hose!
                              Thats pretty much the entire film summed up in a nutshell. It was like the less fun version of Top Gun but based in the Marines instead and with the homo eroticism slightly toned down. It felt like two different movies mashed together and whilst it looked amazing and shots were framed really well the story itself and how it was told was weak at best and the characters were woefully underdeveloped hence 4/10.

Comment

You're so ugly you could be a modern art masterpiece!

Comment

Working...
                                X