This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vanpeebles View Post
    You're so ugly you could be a modern art masterpiece!
    I wanted to make sure you'd feel comfortable with me.

Comment

Watched John Wick. It was...OK. I quite liked Keanu's dapper psycho but it was all a bit murky and jump cutty. It was better than Grimsby and I'd probably watch the second one.

It's just...why can't revenge movies be as ace as they used to be? I'd rather ten fleshed-out baddies were nicely offed rather than a million Russian gangsters being blasted to death under strobe lights in a disco.

Weird thing, second movie I've watched starring Ian McShane in a row.

Comment

If you only found John Wick alright I'll be interested to see what you think about Chapter II.

I wanted something less demanding so I watched Why Him. Not a comedy that'll put you on the floor but it was entertaining enough and has some alright writing for the characters. It explores the situation of Bryan Cranston's Ned meeting his daughter's boyfriend, James Franco's millennial self-made tech/gaming guru millionaire, Laird. It didn't push the romance element too hard and you'll probably enjoy it if you like Judd Apatow-directed comedies. Keegan Micheal Key appears as well so you'll enjoy or despise him based on what you think of the actor (he can be equally annoying and brilliant which is no bad thing).
        Last edited by Paddy; 19-03-2018, 16:20.

Comment

The Fog
          Carpenter's 80's version, it passed by fine but age has caught it up too much.

Doctor Strange
          Held up okay on a second viewing but it's definitely not top tier Marvel stuff.

Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle
          Better than I feared if still too disjointed from the original in tone and execution. Still have no idea how it made so much money though

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
            Why Him
            I started watching this on the plane but it had the swear words dubbed over so I stopped but I want to see the rest of it. They replaced the f-word with flick!

Comment

The film's better in its original form. Given its James Franco's character's favourite word, it'd be weird to watch it any other way.

I might get around to watching Annihilation this week. Then I can make my mind up about it rather than going off of hearsay.

Comment

Stan and Ollie fans: on Talking Pictures (sky 343) tomorrow are Below Zero and Brats. On Sunday, Busy Bodies.

Comment

Brats is wonderful.

"You can lead a horse to water, but a pencil must be lead."

And Busy Bodies!

"I like you. You've got a kind face."

We've started our Marvel-a-thon this week with Iron Man and Iron Man 2. Great films, and IM especially holds great memories for me, witnessing the birth of the Marvel-led films. Showed how comic book films should be made and I for one was terribly excited to see what the future would hold.

Comment

I rewatched Thor Ragnarok last night. It’s enjoyable but, for me, it crossed too far into the territory of spoof and it robs the movie of weight. It’s a fun watch but of little consequence.

Comment

Chasing the Dragon

Watched this yesterday, it was an interesting take on the 70s style crime and drug trade in Hong Kong, it borrows a lot of references from Hollywood drug cartel movies and is based loosely on a real life drug baron, who operated and control most of the HK drug trade.

It stars Donnie Yen who actually played his role well from my perspective. It is violent but not in a stylish martial arts way, whic Donnie Yen is more akin to. Quite a few twists and turns, for the most part is was enjoyable watching rise and ultimate decline of a crime lord (not really a spoiler and no one stays on top forever).

I’d give it a 6.5/10 as it was a movie that came out of nowhere for me and pleasantly surprised me.

Comment

Originally posted by prinnysquad View Post
                        Stan and Ollie fans: on Talking Pictures (sky 343) tomorrow are Below Zero and Brats. On Sunday, Busy Bodies.
                        We just watched Brats So glad the kids enjoy them too.

When I was a bairn my faves were the ones that featured their wives (who were always way too good for them )

Comment

See, I think on second viewing, Thor Ragnarok carried more weight than I originally credited for. First time round, I did think it was perhaps too lightweight in tone, played for laughs, and somewhat throwaway. But second time, I saw a darkness in the tone that I didn’t pick up on first time around. Asgard, the hammer, the eye, Odin, Hulk’s lack of belonging, the realisation that Asgard was built on evil and lies - underneath the wisecracks I thought a lot of bad stuff happened. I laughed less and felt that the jokes papered over some of the darker events.

Watched Below Zero this morning. Such a grim film, but the warmth of Stan and Ollie really shine through. Nice fellas down on their luck, yet still showing kindness, but ultimately suffering for it. Ollie’s long, drawn out ‘oooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhh’ when he looks at the photo in the wallet is a joy!

Brats is one one of my top 5. Just brilliant. Ollie’s hand gestures, camera stares, exclamations of pain, and general screen presence are unsurpassed. So many laugh out loud moments. Poking himself in the eye, the game of pool, the fall down the stairs with his legs splayed high - all brilliant. He proves at the end he has a good singing voice, too. Stan knew how to get the best out of Hardy, and was never afraid of writing gags and editing the film to show off his partner. Superb.

Comment

Just got back from Pacific Rim Uprising.

It was ok, but there were loads of plot holes, unintentional tropes and loads of really bad dialogue.
                            Ok as an action movie, but way too close to being a transformers movie on several occasions.

Comment

Finally forced ourselves to watch Justice League.

Urgh, first 2/3 were a slug to get through. Poor acting/ directing of the characters, visually looked so dull and some of the dialog was incredibly bland. Even Wonder woman suffered in this in some scenes.

He tried his best but the kid playing the Flash was almost too painful to watch with some of his script at the start but I did enjoy some of his scenes and he did improve if slowly.

The CGI was really ropey from the start especially the villain.
                              Two random things I couldn't un-see with the bad guys

1) The villain's lair at the end and the dude himself looked plucked straight from Guild Wars 2.
                              2) The bug guys looked just like Junkman from The Incredible Crash Dummies cartoon.

However it did have some bits I did enjoy

I initially expected Cyborg to be the weakest part of the film. After a bit of a bumpy start I thought he was pretty good. This only from my knowledge of the character only lifted from the few episodes of Teen Titans I watched many years ago.

Aquaman was a joy to watch in every scene he was in, not just a pretty face and bod...

Final 1/3 / the big battle was awesome. Not the best looking cg and filters but the action was fun to watch.

I wasn't a fan of the last 2 Superman films but I felt the best acted scenes were all the bits with Superman and Lois. I felt it was genuinely moving and I was interested in his character

Overall I thought this film was quite BAD. The last 3rd almost, almost saved the film in my eyes.
                              Better than Batman Vs Superman, much worse than Wonder Woman but had a far better finale.

Looking forward to more Aquaman though and perhaps Cyborg and the Flash in the future if they can iron out the cringe awfulness and predictability in some of their scenes.

Comment

Had my hair cut today and my whatsapp group says I look like 'Arthur Shelby' and I googled it and it's Peaky Blinders and I've never ever watched it.

I'm actually gonna watch Peaky Blinders to watch me in another dimension. I love life.

Comment

Working...
                                X