Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The wife and I have just got limitless cards, so our first film of the weekend was the latest Mission Impossible and we thoroughly enjoyed it. Fantastic action scenes, the high speed chases did not disappoint

Comment

From the poster alone, this looks like the best film ever made:

Comment

Watched AvP with my son last night, he thought it was awesome... I haven’t seen it in about 10 years but I was entertained. Never did see the sequel as the file was corrupted, so it’ll be good to see that, probably tomorrow evening.

Comment

Working Girl
          Another missus job, mostly just took the Ford from it as it's a pretty dull watch. Not sure why Griffith got so much praise as she's quite irritating through the film unless that's the point. Still, it's accurate about the business world - Lie, cheat and steal and... you'll make $$$

Tomb Raider
          The new one. Finally caught up and wasn't that motivated to see it but overall it wasn't that bad. It's more grounded than the games and cherry picks themes and elements rather than remakes the reboot. Could have done with going all out like the game does as the ending is a little low key but broadly one of the more competent game movies I've seen.

The Meg
          I cannot describe how daft this is. It's fairly poorly acted, stupid, very schlocky and not funny when it thinks it is but it is also far more fun than it had any right to be. The action is effectively delivered and it doesn't slow down too much to lose momentum either.

Comment

Originally posted by _SD_ View Post
            Watched AvP with my son last night, he thought it was awesome... I haven’t seen it in about 10 years but I was entertained. Never did see the sequel as the file was corrupted, so it’ll be good to see that, probably tomorrow evening.
            2nd was pretty good too, not a good one if you've got a baby on the way though - might scare the nipper!

Comment

28 Days Later was on TV a couple of nights ago so I watched that. It still holds up pretty well. Visually poor on our modern TVs due to being shot on what I think is SD DV cam but it’s a good, tense movie.

Last night I watched Lost Highway. One of Lynch’s finest as far as I’m concerned. It just flows really well and builds to a great finish. Great soundtrack too.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                28 Days Later was on TV a couple of nights ago so I watched that. It still holds up pretty well. Visually poor on our modern TVs due to being shot on what I think is SD DV cam but it’s a good, tense movie.
                There's a bit where Jim is exhausted and lying on his back, nearly out of hope and he sees a plane through the trees.

On the commentary track, Boyle reveals he shot that bit himself in his back garden!

Bonus fact: The owner of the remote house at the end bought my dad's bike!

I've not seen Lost Highway, but I found Casshern and Battle Royale II underwhelming, so you probably chose well.

Comment

Just finished AvP Requiem, entertaining, but certainly not as good as the first one.

Comment

Pacific Rim

It was nice watching it on the big telly this time but Netflix's bitrate is rubbish for action stuff(especially in the rain). It looked like a cinema job at times.

My favourite bit of the film was when I told my wife there's a sequel and she said "Yeah, I know. I wanna see it." I glanced at my wedding ring and realised again how lucky I am.

Popstar: Never Stop Never Stopping

Aw shiznit. DJ helmet light beam blinding the crowd with the War of the Worlds sound

Comment

Avengers: Infinity War
                      Holds up well on rewatch though doesn't really change as an experience meaning its mostly only as strong as your familiarity with the previous 18 MCU movies that go before it as there's next to no time for any set up, it's all one long epilogue in two parts to the existing canon and without that it'd almost slip into weaker territory. For what it is though and its purpose it's hugely successful.

Comment

Saving General Yang

A classic tale of war and revenge based on a true story. Not a bad movie, it's very pretty and the battle sequences are impressive if a little over the top. It's similar to Red Cliff, albeit far short of that masterpiece.

Last edited by Zen Monkey; 14-08-2018, 13:08.

Comment

I got Terminator for about 98p from Amazon and it's the Definitive Edition, which seems to have more extras than the Blu-Ray.

I managed to get to the tanker explosion before falling asleep, rewound and did the same thing because I'd stayed up until 1am the night before watching videos on how to clean your car. Idiot.

Anyway, I saw most of it and I still LOVE it. (bold, Italic, glow).

I definitely prefer T1 to T2 because it appeals on more levels than T2.
                          It's grittier and tighter and that sense of despair because they're only just outrunning the Terminator makes it more tense, for me. Love that 80s screeching synth soundtrack too. The piano version of the theme whilst they're making John Connor is a nice contrast and is a human moment that none of the subsequent films have.

Both great films though, so I'm not complaining.

Sadly, there's never been a Cameron commentary, so I might try a fan one:

Before James Cameron sank a ship and worshiped a tree, his career started with a certain killer robot. No, not Robocop. It's the motherfucking Terminator! Gr...

Enjoy the videos and music that you love, upload original content and share it all with friends, family and the world on YouTube.

Enjoy the videos and music that you love, upload original content and share it all with friends, family and the world on YouTube.
                          Last edited by QualityChimp; 16-08-2018, 08:28.

Comment

Gnarly, also watched T1 last week on a fairly grotty jap Laserdisc, probably the 2nd time this year I never get bored it must be in my top 3 movies. Especially Brad Fiedel's love theme music during the sex scene paha!

Comment

I was sat on my own and I was still embarrassed.
                              I really feel like I'm intruding on somebody's personal moment.

I think that moment, is something none of the other films have.
                              "John Connor gave me a picture of you once. I didn't know why at the time. It was very old - torn, faded. You were young like you are now. You seemed just a little sad. I used to always wonder what you were thinking at that moment. I memorised every line, every curve... I came across time for you, Sarah. I love you. I always have."

You've got the strained relationship of Sarah and John and the surrogate father relationship of John and the Terminator, but none other have that passion that Sarah and Kyle have in T1.

It's a standout moment in a film full of badassery.

One thing that made me laugh was the blurb on the back and how it referenced loads of reviews:
                              "In this “blazing, cinematic comic book” (Variety), Arnold Schwarzenegger is “perfectly cast” (Los Angeles Times) as the fiercest and most relentless killing machine ever to threaten the survival of mankind! From the Oscar®-winning* director of Titanic, this “fast-paced, cleverly conceived, rip-roaring action adventure” (Boxoffice) fires an arsenal of thrills, intriguing plot twists and heart-stopping suspense that “never lets up for a minute” (Leonard Maltin) and you will "never get bored" (Baseley09)!

*James Cameron"

Comment

I'd say you can't write that but its literally from the back of the box.

I managed to watch Ant-Man & The Wasp last night. I found it highly entertaining (perhaps more so than the first film). The film's story has some flaws if you think about them too much but its a film about a thief who becomes a guy who can change his size at will (among others). Therefore I can cut it some slack and enjoy it for the funny, entertaining film that it was (I might even go watch it again).

Comment

Working...
                                X