• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don’t forget the fifth!

Comment

We don't talk about the remake...

Comment

Originally posted by teddymeow View Post
        Woke up this morning, headed downstairs and the missus was watching Daddy's Home on Netflix - maybe 15 minutes in.

I actually enjoyed what I saw. Will Ferrell always good.
        Daddy's home is quite funny the sequel not so much

Comment

Watched 10 Cloverfield Lane and I thought it was bloody great!!!!!!!

Gripping, puzzling, endlessly tantalising (until, maybe, when it gets very near the end).

What a cool movie!

Comment

I loved it. John Goodman managed to be more frightening than the monster in Cloverfield

Kubo and the Two Strings was finally available to rent last week so we watched that. Beautiful film. I was gutted the BR I rented had no extras because I really wanted to see behind the scenes stuff for it.

Ready Player One. Great film. The race at the beginning was something to behold. Wish I’d seen it earlier in 3D but it’s nearing the end of its run.

Comment

Couldn't believe 10 Cloverfield Lane was a '12' tbh. Feels like an '18' much of the time!

Comment

I loved 10 Cloverfield too. Had no idea it was a 12. Wow. Something wrong there.

Comment

Warcraft appeared on Netflix so gave it a go. It’s not going to win any Oscars but I’m not sure what people were moaning about when it came out, it’s got big orcs, it’s got humans and other species, it’s got the locations and lore. Not bad.

6/10 fishbowls.

Comment

The Next Karate Kid
                    The retro run ends with this additional entry starring Hilary Swank and, well, it's pretty awful. Possibly more so than the remake, it's not hard to see why the franchise died even though Direct to DVD would have made a good home for it. It's so redundant to the series and lacks decent characters, it's really hard to get past how rapey the villains are too as well as how all the high school kids look distinctly 35 years of age. It also contains almost no karate at all, just poor on every level.

What Dreams May Come

We've put this off for a long time and for some reason Saturday night seemed like the right time. It's slightly uncomfortable from the off due to the real life events that followed but the set up is still a compelling one. Williams holds attentions just like he ever did and some of the visuals are still striking, a few shots are far too aged but broadly it's nice. It's a decent length film but nothing feels like it gets the time it deserves including the ending which doesn't carry the emotional weight it should. It's been a very long time since I last saw it but it was still nice to revisit.

We also managed to finally see that adaptation they made of The Last of Us...

The Quiet Place
                    Execution, easily the best thing the film has going for it which is a little ironic considering the same is true of the game. As with anything that uses this kind of set up I felt a little detached from the characters because the scenario doesn't allow for a happy ending, it's too much a case of when rather than if meaning whoever survives the end credits is still pretty much damned making it hard to get behind them too much. The film excels in its use of sound, but broadly the film felt like one big LoU crib which again is ironic as that game felt like a stream of zombie clichés too. There's some really dumb stuff in there too with a couple of real eye rollers. As I say, the execution of how its shot and the soundwork does a lot for the film and makes for a broadly enjoyable film but it's one that I came away from feeling had been given too much praise. I'd have little interest in seeing it twice or seeing a sequel.

Comment

Annihilation

Too the day off and decided to treat myself. Brilliant film with some amazing effects work and imagery that will linger in my mind for donkeys.

Comment

Few on the Sky box taped off The Horror Channel:

1. Basket Case. I've seen this quite a few times but we're talking 20-30 years back. I love all the lo-fi, scuzzy 1981 Times Square cinematography but it never 'clicked' back in the day for me and surprisingly didn't now. It's deffo the type of movie I love but it's just never clicked for me, give me Street Trash any day of the week. Worth a watch, tho, there is lots of flava and the balding thief guy is funny as.

2. Banshee Chapter. Unoriginal, low budget guff, really don't bother with it. They even spell sheriff as sherrif on the fake CCTV footage. It's all set in the dark with no gore, cast, oodles of jump scares that don't scare to make it feel more substantial than what it is...which is rubbish.

3. Hostel. Last saw this ten years back, have to say I found it a tad more interesting a decade on. It's nowt special but fun and moves along, still very tame if you take into account its rep, you really do see very little actual gore goin' on, more lots of suggestion and bloody aftermaths. A fun, dumb movie, I have to say I liked it the best of the three movies I watched tonight, even though it's way off being a classic. Might rewatch 2, quite fancy giving it a second blast. Not sure about 3, though, remember it being terribly low budget and quite dull/awful.

Comment

Originally posted by JazzFunk View Post

1. Basket Case.
                          Other 80s B-movies worth watching are:

The Stuff
                          C.H.U.D.
                          Frankenhooker

I remember Basket Case 2 having some disgusting/disturbing scenes. I agree that Street Trash is great.
                          Last edited by Leon Retro; 20-06-2018, 06:35.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
                            Other 80s B-movies worth watching are:

The Stuff
                            C.H.U.D.
                            Frankenhooker

I remember Basket Case 2 having some disgusting/disturbing scenes. I agree that Street Trash is great.
                            There are so many... I loved the likes of Demons, The Burning, New York Ripper and the Stuff, must have been the only one to like Neon Maniacs. Miss the days of me and my brother renting so many classic 80's horror and gore VHS films;The guy who owned our local VHS rental shop also loved horror and used to let us have all the video nasty's that's were banned or heavily cut, all uncut form, usually with Dutch subtitles.

So got to watch the likes of Wild Beasts, Contamination, Dead of the Dead, Maniac Bloodsucking Pharaohs in Pittsburgh, The Prowler, The Beyond, Zombie Holocaust, Cannibal Apocalypse in all their uncut glory long before the likes of Anchor bay lol

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post

So got to watch the likes of Wild Beasts, Contamination, Dead of the Dead, Maniac Bloodsucking Pharaohs in Pittsburgh, The Prowler, The Beyond, Zombie Holocaust, Cannibal Apocalypse in all their uncut glory long before the likes of Anchor bay lol
                              You liked some of the really cheap B-movie stuff. The Beyond stands out amongst those films as being really good.

This poster always caught my attention in video shops. I think it's on Netflix, so I will see if I still enjoy it.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
                                You liked some of the really cheap B-movie stuff. The Beyond stands out amongst those films as being really good.

This poster always caught my attention in video shops. I think it's on Netflix, so I will see if I still enjoy it.
                                Love that film and Medusa boobs back inthe day lol.
                                I was and still am, a massive fan of the likes of Tom Savini and Giannetto De Rossi make up effects and after getting to know the guy who owned and run my local VHS rental store in the 80s (all for a love of 80s make up effects) he gave me a ton of uncut VHS 80 horror classics VHS tapes, many of which I still have in my mums garrage

Its also thanks to glory days of VHS rental that I discovered the wonders of the likes of Bladerunner, Space Hunter, Ice Pirates, The Thing and so many 80's classics. Like for gaming, great times

Comment

Working...
                                X