No announcement yet.

Mario Odyssey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I love this game, but I'm taking it very slowly. I wish I hadn't seen any trailers or read any discussion about the game. It would be awesome if I had no idea that

there was a New Donk level

and just stumbled into a realisticish level, blissfully unaware.

Comment

I have to admit, the one thing I still don't like at all in Odyssey is the semi-realistic visuals. Every level that skips that visual approach looks so much better than the ones that do use it. Hope Nintendo don't stick with that style going forward.

Comment

I'm in the endgame of the game now, credits done and dusted and after grabbing a ton of the Mushroom Kingdom moons I'm now in the early 300 figures and have gone back to the initial worlds to find out. It's such an odd one, it's a genuinely good game but underwhelming in some aspects and this endgame element is partly why. The core game just feels brief and collecting these moons after is... okay? There's some decent ones but too many are in purely as filler collectibles like any other open design game. Presuming Switch has enough road ahead of it that Nintendo could easily get an Odyssey 2 out I'd be fine with that but there's not the same pull here that I'd hanker for them when they change things up again the same way I do the Galaxy's. They're not that different in many ways but the subtleties make a big difference.

Comment

Over 100 Moons since the credits now and I'm feeling the draw to the Dark Side Kingdom as, it has to be said, the game really drops the bar with its post-game. It's far too Ubi-style collectible based, one in every dozen or more Moons actually feels like it required some gameplay and not just to walk up and collect it. I would massively have taken 500 total Moons with twice the level design than all this filler.

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
            Over 100 Moons since the credits now and I'm feeling the draw to the Dark Side Kingdom as, it has to be said, the game really drops the bar with its post-game. It's far too Ubi-style collectible based, one in every dozen or more Moons actually feels like it required some gameplay and not just to walk up and collect it. I would massively have taken 500 total Moons with twice the level design than all this filler.
            Yes, the ones you have to buy are nothing but grindy filler. I agree with the 500 moon sentiment or even just 20 in each world but with vastly different gameplay to achieve.

Comment

It's proving a bit of a wet flannel as to how once you've mopped up the moons in a Kingdom the majority are rinse repeated elsewhere. There's quite a lot that are in areas where they're all to easy to miss or require a chain of events many players would lose track of across Kingdoms. I'm trundling along fine approaching the 500 moon mark but there's absolutely no question it all compromises the quality of the overall package and is the worst end-game content in a Mario as almost none of it requires real skill or proper gameplay, it's pure Ubi-design laziness.

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
                there's absolutely no question it all compromises the quality of the overall package and is the worst end-game content in a Mario as almost none of it requires real skill or proper gameplay, it's pure Ubi-design laziness.
                Couldn't disagree more, and the Ubi comment is laughable tbh.

Sure, the end-game isn't as outstanding as the main game but, honestly, it's a lot better and a lot more fun than just being told to do the whole main game again as Luigi a la Galaxy and Galaxy 2.

Comment

It felt like Galaxy 1 and 2 had more main game to them to get away with that, Mario Odyssey is genuinely great but it's a relatively brief experience with a ton of low skill padding after the credits

Comment

9999 coins for the bone suit. Hmm.

Oh and I finally clocked this yesterday.

I'VE FINISHED A SWITCH GAME.

Comment

Those Koopa races are really starting to get on my nerves. How they get to where they get so fast isn't fair.

Comment

Originally posted by kryss View Post
                        Those Koopa races are really starting to get on my nerves. How they get to where they get so fast isn't fair.
                        The only hard one is in the Lost Kingdom, every other race has huge shortcuts even in the endgame.

Comment

I've picked through the first four kingdoms races, the Lake one was the fiddliest due to relying on a jump dive move that's not that intuitive but once you get it right you save an epic amount of time. Currently picking off Mushroom Kingdom Moons, just passed the 500 Moon marker

Comment

Originally posted by briareos_kerensky View Post
                            The only hard one is in the Lost Kingdom, every other race has huge shortcuts even in the endgame.
                            That's exactly the one I failed at completely yesterday. The other racers do this slam-bounce and somehow can leap the entire wall whereas I get stuck slamming the other end to move the opposite side up.

446 moons currently though, and I stopped buying them at the shop after the wooded kingdom so I could save up for other outfits.

Comment

Is that the jump where you press to jump then Ground Pound and as soon as you hit the ground press jump again which propels you higher?

There's that or the cap dive off a triple jump but that's fiddly with the camera

Comment

It looks like they do the pound-jump but it goes higher than I can.
                                I should just look up the shortcuts.

Comment

Working...
                                X